A Thousand Suns lyric break down

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by iNuBBiN, Oct 28, 2010.

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

So after about 20 listens to this album i have yet to understand what some of the songs actually mean. To me it seems LP put some crazy ass metaphors in this album or they slapped together the best sounding words, or they all have double meaning. In this album it seems instead of talking about oneself they switch between "we" and "i". Here are the songs that confuse me

Burning in they skies- I believe its about chester messing up a relationship but i dont understand mikes first verse at all.

Waiting for the end- It sounds like chester yet again is holding onto a relationship that he messed up. But when mike switches to talking about we it throws me off. "we are living at the mercy of the pain and the fear" and "we are holding onto something invisible there"

Wretches & Kings- Is mike like the government talking down to the people or is he still like a rebel?

Blackout- kinda understand the first part, chester is pissed at a girl? The "push it back down", and the "blood in your eye" part i dont understand. Then Mikes part completely throws me off

The Catalyst- "two symphonies of blinding light", "far from the world of you and i, where oceans bleed into the sky" i love the lift me up part but dont understand how it seem to tie into the song

Please comment of how you take each song.....

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The beauty of the songs presented in 'A Thousand Suns' is that they aren't subject to a specific topic. To me 'A Thousand Suns' discusses the departure of what they've left behind musically, how they've evolved, and the extension in the theme of self-destruction and self-preservation. In cohesion, it's the culmination of all these aspects of which assimilate the journey heard in the album.

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

You just mind fucked me.......... Im not trying to diss on the album because i like it and have listened to it almost everyday, but i can still not figure out the "journey" going through the album, neither has a lot of people i have talked to about it

Jake

Jake Give me reason

Here's what I posted for The Catalyst back in August on my blog, about a week after its premiere.

"This is the end. I can close my eyes, and feel the rhythm of this last hour on Earth, like we were destined to be erased just this way. These sins that I have committed, are to no measure. My generation, and yours- they made the same mistakes. We played, I know. We were to be doomed on our own, we thought, but we didn’t know there was fate. Most of us didn’t believe in it. And as much as I wouldn’t want to believe this, we can’t fix what we’ve done. We can’t be forgiven. We reap what we sow. We can’t choke and feel sorry to have ourselves rescued, or find an escape.
    At this hour, this chaos is inevitable. I do not see the point, anyhow. These countless thorns, have you nurtured them for us, for this final day? There are memories that crush me hard right now, moments I’d re-live without a second thought. You are not here, not with me, at the end of the world.

(Lift me up, let me go) But I guess this is the end, no matter what anyone has to say. I accept my death, and I will try to find comfort in whatever time I have left- in this thought. But for the moment, it aches my heart. Let me go now. Let me die a death of shame, of sins. Maybe somewhere I would make up for some of them, if not all."

It's arranged alongside the progression of the lyrics in the song. It might be sorta stupid and long, but anyway...

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

The album is about love and redemption, as an individual and as a collective.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

It's more of a musical journey. I thought that was pretty obvious. LP won't bring us on a total conceptual journey until they start making their lyrics more clear cut.