Abortion...Right or Wrong?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by JoJaDaWg, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Ms. Tasha

Ms. Tasha New Member

Well with the help that AIDS victims get from medicine, it reduces the chance of the baby contracting it. I suppose it's probably mostly because the virus doesn't travel through the placenta that well (but thats just my guess). :)

Also, I understand that the man doesn't have to carry the baby for 9 months, however I believe if he wants it the woman should do that much for him. I mean it's half his, just cause he doesn't have to carry it doesn't make him an obsolete part of the equation. IMO. And it's only 9 months, and lemme tell you, they fly by. At least they have for me. *shrugs*

And that topic also contradicts the 'if the baby is unwanted than better dead than in misery' stance, because just because the woman doesn't want it doesn't mean the man won't give it a wonderful life. :)

2. rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

me and my boyfriend had this conversation today. it went like this:
    me: i am never getting pregnant.
    him: bullsh*t
    me:well you aren't the one getting pregnant so you really have nothing to do with it.
    him: blah blah blah

yeah you get my point. anyway, it is the decision of the mother. the father can have an influence, but in the end it is the mother that is getting operated on.

*smacks myself in the head*
    what the hell am i saying this for?! i am prolife anyway!

3. Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

wow, you know what? theres this thing called "women's rights". i dont know if youve ever heard of it. women shouldnt have to go through 9 months of pregnancy just because the man "wants it" and could possibly not even end up taking care of it and having the mother do all that crap. women dont have to bow down to their husbands/boyfriends, it is the 21st century you know.

oh, and that 9 months fly by, 9 months is like a school year. you know when youre at school, you wish it were over. youre anxious for weekends. its like that whole time you wish school was over. well minus the weekends add morning sickness, contractions, a lot of pain, and labor, you got pregnancy. you might have found it wonderful, but that doesnt mean everyone is like you.

4. Link04

Link04 Ambient

wow, you know what? theres this thing called "women's rights". i dont know if youve ever heard of it. women shouldnt have to go through 9 months of pregnancy just because the man "wants it" and could possibly not even end up taking care of it and having the mother do all that crap. women dont have to bow down to their husbands/boyfriends, it is the 21st century you know.

oh, and that 9 months fly by, 9 months is like a school year. you know when youre at school, you wish it were over. youre anxious for weekends. its like that whole time you wish school was over. well minus the weekends add morning sickness, contractions, a lot of pain, and labor, you got pregnancy. you might have found it wonderful, but that doesnt mean everyone is like you. [/b][/quote]
    Though Ms. Tasha just dug herself a hole, here's my thought on that:

The man and the woman should have thought about that whole thing before they went and had sex. That's basically my big problem with abortion; women who use it as a means of birth control. If she didn't "want it" maybe she should have thought about that before she had unprotected sex with her boyfriend. I'm all for womens rights, but I'm also for responsibility and consequences. It was part of her decision to put herself at risk to become pregnant. All I'm saying is she should have to take responsibilty for those actions and, if she's pregnant, face the consequences of them. And in all fairness, Tasha never said they had to bow down to men, and I'm sure she didn't mean to imply that either.

5. Jila

yeah but even if it is irresponsible, its not fair for a woman. ive said this a million times and i guess ill say it again, a man can easily just get up and leave. women, unfortunately, do not have the luxury of doing that. the only way they can is to have an abortion.

it takes two people to make that mistake, one person shouldnt have to take the consequence.

6. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Why the hell did this have to be resurrected from 3 days of nothing?

7. Link04

Link04 Ambient

I completely understand your point, and it's horrible that men even consider walking out on women they have sex with. I know personally, if I (though I wouldn't do this) went and had unprotected sex with my girlfriend tomorrow, and she was pregnant, I'd be a man and stick with her through the ordeal of pregnancy. We may give the child up to adoption, but I'd be there for her. Though that's just me, and it's surely half the man's fault too if the woman gets pregnant, the woman could at anytime stop him from having sex with her. It's ultimately her decision, because 9 times out of 10 a guy won't turn down sex. Now, if the man doesn't respect that decision, it becomes rape, then an abortion is completely justified. Let me go back and say this about sex in the first place: sex is entirely based on the trust of your partner. The trust that they'll have your best interest in mind before, during, and after you have sex. I guess what I'm trying to say is, people should better be able to judge for themselves whether or not the can trust their partner with that. Granted, that's a VERY hard thing for a woman to do, but if there's a doubt in her mind, or if she's thinking with her hormones (like men usually always do anyway), she shouldn't have unprotected sex in the first place. Summarizing: in my opinion, a woman who is control of her situation before pregnancy should go along with the consequences of her actions.

8. Jila

Ms. Tasha, who i believe just joined for the sake of this thread.

9. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

That's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever read on these forums. Just because you know you have AIDS does NOT mean you have less of a chance of passing it on. That's like saying you know you won't get burned even though you're falling into a volcano. It just doesn't work like that.

10. Jila

Link04: guys are able to have sex whenever they please, not having to worry about getting themselves pregnant (since obviously they cannot) or even getting other girls pregnant (since they can just leave them). not all guys would stick around with the girl they impregnated. she has the choice if she wants to go through a 9 month pregnancy or not. it is not only the woman's fault. she shouldnt have to be the only one going through the consequences if she doesnt want to.

11. Link04

Link04 Ambient

I never once said it's all the woman's fault. I stated it's equally the man's and woman's. All I said was, the woman does have the ability to stop things before they get started. The man does too, but most men don't use that option. Going under that generalization about men (behind every one is some truth), more responsibility is required from the woman in that certain situation; since the male may lack some responsibilty.

12. Jila

I never once said it's all the woman's fault. I stated it's equally the man's and woman's. All I said was, the woman does have the ability to stop things before they get started. The man does too, but most men don't use that option. Going under that generalization about men (behind every one is some truth), more responsibility is required from the woman in that certain situation; since the male may lack some responsibilty. [/b][/quote]
    exactly, therefore the woman should have the decision to have an abortion or not. after all, it is her body and she should be able to do what she wants with it. no one should be able to tell her what to do with it, whether its having sex or being pregnant.

13. Link04

Link04 Ambient

Aha, but if the woman lacks that required responsibilty and has sex anyway, I believe she should deal with the consequences. And that's precisely where our opinions differ. Great debate, Pyromaniak, thanks for discussing it with me. My good friend told me one time there's a point in debate where you just have stop and say "that's just what I believe" and end it. I think I've reached that point. Goodnight all. ^_^

14. Maëlle

Maëlle I've seen it all

Link04: I know all guys aren't complete morons who are going to leave their girlfriend if she gets pregnant, but the thing is that personnally, if I was to be pregnant now, with the current statistics, I'd be damn scared that my boyfriend would leave me as soon as I get the baby. Hell, in Canada, something like 80% of the young parents separate in the two years following the birth of the child! I know, if I love the boy I should trust him but somehow, you can't stop stats and reality to influence your choice! And, just like Pyromaniak said, pregnancy can be Hell for some woman and I don't think I'd find it great if I had to be pregnant nine months, go through labor, put the baby in adoption and, possibly, suffer from psychologic troubles later on (depression, guilt, etc)

15. Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

But Maelle, if you chose to have sex with your boyfriend that would be a chance you're taking. If you're not fully ready then just don't. If you were raped then I could understand an abortion, but if you really want to be pro-choice, it could also mean thinking about the consequences before you have sex.

16. Jila

i totally agree with Maëlle. she brought up points i didnt.

Link04: i still think of fairness. it wouldnt be fair for a woman to deal with the consequences because the guy had an equal part (if not more) of the pregnancy. guys have it easier in every way, not only in pregnancy, but women are shortchanged so much in society as well. it would be cool to keep as much rights as we have. and yeah, nice debate.

17. Maëlle

Maëlle I've seen it all

I know that having sex implies having responsabilities! But a bad luck can happen to anybody

18. Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

I know that having sex implies having responsabilities! But a bad luck can happen to anybody [/b][/quote]
    Bad luck included. It's another risk you're willling to take.

19. Jila

Bad luck included. It's another risk you're willling to take. [/b][/quote]
    well then its the guys fault as well. the girl shouldnt be the only one taking the responisbility and pain.

20. ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

well then its the guys fault as well. the girl shouldnt be the only one taking the responisbility and pain. [/b][/quote]
    i still think the girl should be the one who makes the final decision. if the father wants to keep the baby, thats nice, but if the girl doesnt want it, theres nothing he can do.