Advent Children: First Review

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by The Doctor, Sep 12, 2005.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Well as all good things are, the movie has leaked over in Japan. Me being the impatient person I am, of course downloaded it. Granted I couldn't understand a word they said, I got it anyway. Even in Japanese this movie was incredible. The movie starts out with an intro spoken by Marlene, recapping what went on in the game. It's all cutscenes from the game with updated graphics. I tried to figure it out but the basic plot is: Two years after the defeat of Sephiroth, Cloud leads a solitary life. He works as a transporter for the Strife Delivery Service. A new disease has stricken the people, including Cloud, known as Geostigma. Cloud hides his infected arm under a long black sleeve. Three new enemies make an appearance. Kadaj, the leader of the group, and Yazoo and Loz are his counterparts. Cloud sees in them traits of his fallen enemy, Sephiroth. The three are after “Mother” and refer to Cloud as their “Brother”. Having obtained Jenova’s head, their purpose appears to be to start another Reunion. Vincent suspects that with Jenova’s cells, they may even be able to create another Sephiroth.

A non-contagious disease known as Geostigma is spreading across the Planet, with Kadaj claiming that it is due to Jenova’s cells working hard in the Lifestream. Children tend to show signs of Geostigma first, though adults are susceptible to the disease as well. Symptoms of Geostigma include mental weakness, pain and even death. Cloud was discovered to have the disease when Marlene finds a bandage Cloud used.

Cloud was hired by Rufus Shinra (who was not killed in the game like we thought) to be his bodyguard against the three new enemies. Shinra is alive but suffering from Geostigma, confining him to a wheelchair.

Cloud still carries emotional scars from the last time we saw him. Weighed down by memories of loved ones he has lost and his physical condition, he now comes across as devoid of hope. Ever the reluctant hero, it takes much persuasion from Tifa after the children are captured for Cloud to decide to go after them. Perhaps it is only during his dream-like encounter with Aeris on the way to the City of the Ancients that he finally makes some progress. The two meet back-to-back in the flower field, beneath a pure white sky. Cloud struggles to voice his desire to seek forgiveness, to which Aeris says that she already has forgiven him. Consoled but still unconvinced, Cloud sets out on his path of redemption.

Kadaj speaks to the children by the shore of the lake in the City of the Ancients, rallying them to join forces with him against the Planet. They ambush Cloud and the children form a circle around him, preventing his escape. Kadaj calls Cloud a traitor and is about to execute him when Vincent swoops down and brings Cloud to safety. Marlene escapes and rejoins Cloud and Vincent in the woods. They then chase the silver-haired youths and the children back to Midgar.

Midgar is in chaos when they return. Kadaj has unleashed a swarm of Shadowcreepers which attack the townspeople while Cid, Barret, Vincent, Yuffie and Red XIII fight them off. Tifa is shown shielding Denzel, one of the orphans under her charge. Reno and Rude battle Yazoo and Loz respectively. Kadaj is seen looking down from a damaged building with Rufus, during which he summons Bahamut Sin. Cloud then practically flies towards the dragon, kamikaze-style, as it prepares to launch an attack on the city.

After the Bahamut Sin is defeated, Cloud goes after Kadaj. He chases Kadaj through the city, who is carrying the container of Jenova cells. Throughout their fighting, the container is split open, but not before some of the cells have spilled into Kadaj without him realizing. The scene then shifts to Cloud scaling up the side of a building with a sword in each hand while explosions go off. As the buildings collapse around him, he looks up and we see Sephiroth in all his former glory. The line, “I won’t remain just a memory.” is heard. From out of the debris, sword drawn, a familiar face is seen. None other than Sephiroth has returned. In the greatest battle I have seen in an anime movie, Sephiroth and Cloud seem to be an equal match. Until Cloud hits his Limit Break. Cloud raises his sword, sending copies of it all around Sephiroth, who seems to know what's coming. Then it begins. Omnislash. The One Winged Angel is defeated. The Sephiroth is killed, transforming him back into Kadaj. When Kadaj dies, there seems to be a moment of piece until Cloud is shot by Yazoo. Once the other two men are killed, Cloud finds himself awakening in Aeris' church. He is in the clean Lifestream, washing away his Geostigma. We finally see Aeris, who appears to Cloud. So ends the saga of Cloud Strife.

Overall the movie was everything I expected it to be and more. Now just to wait until November for it's official release!

Final rating: Advent Children gets 5 out of 5 Cloud smilies!
    :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud:

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

Awesome! Is there an official US release date?

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

The Doctor

I meant on the site.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Not going to read your review, because of the spoilers, but wow, the quality is fucking amazing.

note to self: learn japanese. :lol:

edit:
    Nate, I found the English subs. Lemme know if you still haven't found them. ;)

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

this is going to sound stupid but i was going to buy the japanese dvd when it came out and i was wondering if it had english subtitles?

Tekkiji

Tekkiji Well-Known Member

i'm not 100% sure on this, but a friend told me it comes out tomorrow. Anyone know of this yet?

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

On the actual DVD, probably.

The Doctor

In Japan, yes, everywhere else, no.

Tekkiji

Tekkiji Well-Known Member

on IMDB it has the release date for it September 13th for US and September 14th for Japan

The Doctor

Well IMDB is wrong. It's being released November 28th in the US for PSP/dvd.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Well IMDB is wrong. It's being released November 28th in the US for PSP/dvd. [/b][/quote]
    I am sooo getting it for my PSP. That would look soo fucking kick-ass, you know?

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Amazing.

So worth the wait. I'm going to bed speechless tonight.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

This.Movie.Rocked.

I loved the rock version of One Winged Angel.

And Nate, I don't think they were clones of his sword he put out.

It seemed like every single sword he had in his possession, from the motorcycle.

Abso-fucking-lutely A-fucking-mazing.

The Doctor

I'm trying desperately to find that!

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

This is THE best film i have ever seen! I cried at the ending :'( Omg, i'm so damn happy now! I want Clouds bike!

laolith

laolith Well-Known Member

where do you download it coz i live in the UK so i cant geddit otherwise :(

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

torrent sites. I assume you have your connections ;)

The Doctor

Now that, I can't tell you, because that'd be illegal. You'll just have to find it yourself.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

So many laughable instances for all the FF fans out there.

Loz's cellphone ringing after the battle, the stuffed moggle, Yuffie and her materia, and the Rudes of course.

I think Rufus makes a stunning scene in the movie as well.