Aggravated.

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Derek, Sep 17, 2006.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

So I've been having a great deal of trouble with my DSL modem lately (moreso than usual) and I cannot even understand why it is happening. Basically, I'll be in the middle of surfing the net and the PC will lock up for like 10 seconds and then I'll find myself unable to access any sites. That or it'll sign out of AIM/MSN and I'll look over only to find that the top icon (the @ that shows its connected to the 'gateway') is flashing orange and its trying to reconnect.

I cannot understand why its going in and out so much and its honestly almost as unreliable as my 56k used to be. My family runs a business and having this type of unreliability, just cant happen.

Then just today it tries to reconnect for over 30 mins before it finally works, then it kicks out 5 mins afterwards, and now its fine..for now.

Anyone know what it is? Is my DSL modem faulty perhaps?

*EDIT* As I was typing this it happened...again.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Possibly time for a new modem? Call your ISP and see what they say.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

This happens when I kill a bittorrent download when the modem isn't in bridge mode.

Anything you do to specifically do this, or is it all random?

Oh, reboot your modem, I had to do that today.

Derek

It feels random, happens while I'm posting sometimes.

Is rebooting your modem unplugging it and replugging it? Cause that doesnt work lately, and when it does..its for a short amount of time.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I'd start out by getting a new modem. If your ISP is decent enough, they'll give you a new one for free. With my cable company, when our modem goes bad, we just go in there, give them the old one and they give us a new one.

If that doesn't work, then its possible the phone lines in your house, or the phone lines from your house to the phone company's switching equipment is bad.

The other possibility, and the toughest one to get your ISP to admit, is that the problem is completely on their end.

And yeah, rebooting your modem is unplugging it and plugging it back in (the power cord, not the ethernet cord)

llewellyn101

llewellyn101 Well-Known Member

Like tod said get a new modem or the phonelines.. But

Try setting your modem up on another PC and see f it does the same thing... If it does... then u know its the modem... but i doubt it to be the lines itself.. because then somebody else would already have complained about it... and the problem would have been fixed

If you dont have another pc to do this on.... Try re installing windows on a new partition (so that it s a clean version) and only install the drivers and then setting up your modem and try like that...

if still doenst work'...

go to the garauge.. u see there.. right next to the screwdriver there is a hammer....

use that on the modem./... Wont fixit.. but will be a hellof alot of fun...

remember to say...

"This hurts me more than it hurts you baby " :p

Derek

You guys are never gonna believe what the reason was.

I called home earlier today to the house phone and when they picked up there was this severly bad buzzing noise and I could barely hear my mom. It turns out that the transformer outside was making loud noises so in an attempt to get it fixed my dad called the electric company.

What did they find you ask?

Turns out the primary power source or ground line (which is also the ground line for the phone) had rusted through, and as of last night probably (hence why I couldn't get on AT ALL) came loose and was no longer connected. This was a severe problem because electric was still going through those wires and if one of my family members/the dog would've touched it..we would've been killed on contact.

The electric company (who were upset that this wasnt caught sooner, cause it was going on for a while apparently) redid the wire, and they're going to probably put in a brand new pole in the near future.

Fixing that wire fixed the DSL almost completely it seems. It goes faster than it ever did when I got it a year or two ago and it has not been disconnected since...

..Imagine that. A fix in the most unlikely of places.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

I saw that one coming. If it's not a problem with the modem, then it's something with your computer. If your computer's fine, then it's gotta be the company's wiring.

Count yourself lucky that your dad thought of calling the electric company, someone could have been killed. =/