Albums that shocked you

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Link, Mar 22, 2005.

Link

Link lolwut

Have you ever purchased a CD and were completely blown away by it? And by that, I mean it surpassed your expectations by a long ways. This isn't a "What's your favorite CD" topic. Just post what CDs caught you off guard because they were much better then you thought they'd be.

For me, it was my most recent purchase, "One Day Remains" from Alter Bridge. Not one bad song. I bought the Creed CDs through the years and I was generally used to at least a few filler songs from them. So that's basically what I was expecting from "One Day Remains". But it is an incredible album, and has become my favorite.

Others that have surpassed my expectations are "Toxicity" by System of a Down, "Page Avenue" by Story of the Year, and "The End of Heartache" by Killswitch Engage.

What are yours?

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

Probably Iron Maiden's Brave New World.Because those guys were ageing and they were going through line-up problems and they had also produced crap albums from 1990 to 2000.This album just blew me away

...Your time will come

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

CKY - Infiltrate.Destroy.Rebuild

.Kevin

.Kevin Super Member

Jedi mind tricks - voilend by desing

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I'd say probably the biggest one that I can remember recently is Green Day's American Idiot. When I had bought it, I had never listened to Green Day other than the 'American Idiot' single. I was completely blown away by it.

I'm also going to have to go with Lamb of God's Ashes of the Wake. That was my first CD of really heavy metal. I was a bit scared at first, but I grew to love and embrace it. It's probably now one of my top five favorite CDs.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Fuckin' A :thumbsup:

Great album. I didn't really buy it though... :wth:

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

Slipknot - Vol 3 The Subliminal Verses

This just blew me away completely. This CD still hasn't left my CD player. So amazing. Not atal what i was expecting from the single song i had heard before purchasing it.

Story Of The Year - Page Avenue

Wow, i mean wow. Until The Day I Die was a great song but then you hear songs like Swallow The Knife and Sidewalks and your mind is blown away by it.

Marilyn Manson - Golden age Of Grotesque

This was great, i got this when i was really getting into Manson and it was way better than what i had heard off it already.

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

slipknot - vol. 3 the subliminal versus
    the whole album is amazing.. i was completely blown away by the slower stuff like circle and vermilion part 2.. i thought id never buy a slipknot album because it was so "extreme" but every song on this album is amazing.. it got me into their older stuff..

story of the year - page avenue
    i bought this album cuz they were on tour with LP on the meteora world tour.. i got the album around christmas of 2003 without hearing a single song off it and i didnt know what to expect but i loved the album and then i saw the show january 31st and i thought it was awesome..

Link

Link lolwut

Very similar to my experience. But I had heard "Until the Day I Die" first. I was totally floored by the quality of the album. Then seeing them live was just awesome.

Jon[athan]

Jon[athan] Sincerly, written from my brothers blood machine.

linkin park: hybrid theory. i bought the album for the soul purpose of having heard in the end. and the rest of the album just blew me away.

haste the day: burning bridges. i had never even heard them before, just heard of them, and this album is incredible.

JasonB

JasonB Well-Known Member

Switchfoot-The Beautiful Letdown.I had listen to their songs before but never liked them.But this album was so much different from their previous stuff,I was really suprised at how good their music was.

htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory: My brother bought it because he couldn't find Meteora in the store (which we had downloaded). I thought it wasn't going to be as good, because in those days I had the belief that bands continually evolve and become better with time. I don't believe that no more.

Hybrid Theory - Selftitled [EP]: It blew me away because I kept hearing HT and Meteora and was bored by them, and the EP injected me with new energy. Besides, it was a lot more balanced between rap and rock than HT and Meteora, and it wasn't a monotonous album.

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Kanye west- The College Dropout

There was no way in hell that I'd expect this form a first effort form Kanye. This surpassed my expectations and now probably puts Kanye as one of the best rappers/ producers of our era.

NofxPants

NofxPants Does your house have stairs?

Bad Religion - The Empire Strikes First

I thought it was not going to be that great of album after listeing to "Sinister Rouge". Then after buying the CD it is just absolutly amazing.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Trivium - Ascendancy

This is what metal is supposed to be...double bass drums, shredding guitar riffs, melodic lyrics at times! And just to think, the lead singer/guitarist is only 19!

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Korn - Follow The Leader
    After hearing the first two albums Korn & Life Is Peachy, I was hooked to Korn. But then...Freak On A Leash and Got The Life came. I didn't see anything special about it. But then I downloaded It's On and My Gift To You and I was just blown away.

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
    Overall, I was impressed by this album. When I first heard Float On I thought it was utter crap. But I listend to The Ocean Breaths Started and I liked it. So I bought the whole album and loved it.

lofton0788

lofton0788 Well-Known Member

Hybrid Theory -LP - I bought this CD for one song. I had heard bits and pieces of others songs (courtesy of a friend) but thought it sounded like bunched up loudness. The album turned out ot be AMAZING

Weezy

Weezy Well-Known Member

Senses Fail - From the Depths of Dreams//Let it Enfold You

Both albums were great. I never even heard of the band before my friend told me about them. I heard one song of theirs, and then I bought the whole CD (From the Depths..). Not a single bad song on the CD.

So that compelled me to buy Let it Enfold You a few months ago. Another great CD! :D

Kylie

Kylie Active Member

Slipknot Vol 3 The Subliminal Verses
    I saw them play the Big Day Out on Channel V and I thought they were alright. So i brought the album and it was amazing! I love The Virus Of Life and Vermilion pt 2. Great stuff.

linkinpark4life_69

linkinpark4life_69 Well-Known Member

i was just going to say that cd.....i got it last week and its fuckin amazing.....reminds me of atreyu/avenged sevenfold.....but has more harmony and melody....and the drums r jus sikk....o...MCR's "three cheers for sweet revenge was sikk too.....not a really bad song from a band with low expectations