Andy Wallace Mixing New Linkin Park Album?

Discussion in 'News' started by Hybrid, Feb 22, 2014.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Mike Shinoda posted an image late last night on Instagram titled "Legend in action" depicting Andy Wallace at the helm of the mixing table. While it has not been confirmed that Andy Wallace is going to be mixing the new Linkin Park album, I think it is better that we let this photo speak for itself.
    [thumb]http://www.lpassociation.com/upload/images/022214-153247_d52946549b8611e387f70ea2ccaa61ad_8.jpg[/thumb]​

What do you think of the legendary mixer of Hybrid Theory and Meteora taking the reins of Linkin Park's forthcoming record? Stop by our forums and let's talk about it!
    Source: Mike Shinoda's Instagram Via Kevin, Jamey, AaronJxD & Vinifeijo

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Doesn't the mixing happen generally when the album's near completion?

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Before anyone asks: yes, that is Andy Wallace. Here's a different picture of him:

[​IMG]

Comes from this video.

Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

[video=youtube;P3ALwKeSEYs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs[/video]

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Wild old-school LPAer appears.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

The mix process begins when the first single is ready to be mixed; later down the line, all the other songs on the album would be done and, then, they would all be mixed.

Whether that photo comes from an album-mixing session or just a lead single's mixing session is our question ... but, in any case, yes, the album should be near completion if they've turned to a mixer at all.

Unless this is a song for the upcoming "Transformers" film and the album is actually nowhere near done

:shinado:

Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

WHY, WHY YOU GOT TO PLAYZ WITH MY EMOTIONS.

*calms*

Ok. Sadly that is a reality. :ohno:

I never miss the good news.. :D

Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

Interesting how you don't see any evidence of rick Rubin. Which is good. I think rick Rubin ruins the linkin park sound. Good news

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, there is this from mid last-year ...

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

If this is true, than the mixing and sound quality on LP6 is gonna be AWESOME just like on HT and Meteora

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I hadn't thought about the TF song until Minute mentioned it, someone a few days ago posted something about a new Transformers song from an article about the studio they're recording in right now.

The mixed signal I get is that not too long ago we got a pic with Manny Marroquín on it, that could mean a) They're using different mixers on the TF song and the album, or b) They "tested" both during the album process (which is kind of silly since their services must be expensive as fuck).

If a) was true, my question would be, who's mixing what? Personally I'd like Andy in the LP album, I'm really curious about how he would work with LP's new style, what element would take the front seat here or how they will balance.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I've never been the biggest fan of Andy Wallace's work (I probably just biased since he did a terrible job on Dream Theater's A Dramatic Turn of Events), but I'll certainly take him over the guy who mixed Living Things. Bringing back Andy Wallace to mix could be seen as a return to the old sound you know. Or, just a less-electronic, more rock like album, which this album certainty seems like it's going to be.

EDIT:
    Actually, that is exactly the reason why I feel that way. He's done some great mixing in the past, other than for Dream Theater. This has got me excited.

Also, this means (probably) a new single soon.

All aboard the hype train. Choo choo!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

I'm sorry, but bringing back an older mixing artist does not define the sound of an album. I say this politely, but Linkin Park's sound is only defined by how they write the songs. Plus, the band specifically Mike and Brad, have always had a big part in the mixing process where the to of them have guided the sound of the mixes. So it's more likely that Andy Wallace won't change the sound of the overall music but just the balance of the music

Gibs

I made an edit to my post. After reviewing other albums he has mixed on Wikipedia, some of them turned out to be some of my fav albums, I just didn't like his mixing on one of Dream Theater's albums. I'm really excited for LP6 now. :)

All I was saying was that I didn't like the mixing on LT's, and this guy is certainly going to do better. A good mix or master doesn't define an album (Californication is a great example), but they're definitely an added bonus when they're great.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Considering how close the album is I wouldn't be surprised if a song or perhaps a single was taken from it for TF4. It might not even be the lead single, too.

crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

Omg, I can't believe it's actually happening. Andy is going to be bringing back the nu-metal! :D I've waited 10 long years for this! I just hope they bring back the dyed hair and the spikes!

Quack

Quack Well-Known Member

#AsLongAsItIsntMannyImHappy

Gibs

Lol, yup. Is there strings in I'll Be Gone? Does Brad play acoustic guitar in Castle of Glass? The world may never know....

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Thank GOD fo your last sentence.