Anyone good at analyzing art?

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Arlene, Jan 13, 2010.

Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

So, I have an AP English essay due Friday in which I must: discuss the subject matter and composition of a work of art and explain how it reflects a particular movement in art history.

The piece I chose to write about is Picasso's "The Dreamer" (not "The Dream.")

[​IMG]

From the painting, I'm getting that the voluptuous woman and the blooming flowers behind her represent that she has to deal with fertility and motherhood. I tried google-ing information on it but I was having a hard time finding anything.

So, what do you guys think about it? Any and all interpretations are welcome.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

This painting is a very affectionate painting of Picasso's. The bright, vibrant colours is a step out from the work Picasso was known for producing at the time. The figure is nothing knew for Picasso, but the context in which it is painted is something very note worthy of this piece. Picasso didn't always paint his subjects with such... desire, for lack of a better word. We know this from just looking at the focus on certain body parts. The vibrant, bright hair, the buttox, the breasts and even the belly button. He's managed to incorporate all these elements which realistically shouldn't be in the composition. It's also apparent that the piece references Picasso's intentions of creating a care free, hopeful "dreamer" context which we obviously know from the appropriately labelled title.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Wow I didn't know you were as much of an art connoisseur as I am. Mad props.

Arlene

Thanks Joe! :)

Derek, since you're such an art connoisseur, where's your input? :p

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

My input basically matches Joe's :lol:. I was gonna come in as Mr. Antique and sound so smart, and then Joe so eloquently put forth his input and I'm like...damn.

Arlene

Ha, alright. Too late now :p The essay was due Friday