Are Americans Too Easily Offended?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by The Fortunate One, Nov 23, 2012.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

When someone makes generalizations it's always entertaining to see certain people chime in purely off their defense mechanisms. They don't really add anything except pointing out that you made a generalization and it's offensive or 'wrong'. It's been hardwired into our brains to do this. It's the same phenomenon the article points out.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

When reading Blackee's initial response, I ignored all of the offensive stuff and got to the other point that he was trying to prove. Most Americans would rather put the blame on everything thing else than to step up and admit that they are the ones who are at fault.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

It's the truth, but I guess the criticism the country is so offended by comes with the territory of being the world's superpower politically, economically, and culturally.

Juliet

Juliet Well-Known Member

Can you explain a little more on what you mean by that statement? I mean, what else is there to add? Do I not have a right to get offended because I was called fat, self entitled, stupid, and a piece of shit? I'm just wondering what you mean by that statement.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I am offended by this because I was born in America and am neither fat, stupid, entitled, nor a piece of shit.

I was never taught that I deserve everything I want when I want it. Nobody ever banged into my brain that there's something wrong when nothing goes the way I want it to.

WHY WAS I NOT BORN FAT, STUPID, ENTITLED AND A PIECE OF SHIT?! I WANT THIS LIFE DAMMIT

Dammit, I want to be fat and privileged. GIVE ME THAT LIFE.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

I'm with Juliet on this one. There really isn't much to say. His statement didn't and doesn't apply to all Americans. The same thing could be said about Australians,English folks, etc. I know people from those countries that could fall into this category. There's good and bad anywhere you go. I'm seeing some people judging just from their environment. C'mon...

Hybrid

Guys, I actually think Blackee's initial response was intended to prove how easily Americans are offended... Atleast that was how I interpreted it.

Juliet

Juliet Well-Known Member

True, but then again, wouldn't you be easily offended if someone started insulted you? I understand how this topic could apply to when people are too politically correct sometimes, etc. But calling names is a pretty good reason to be offended. :p

travz21

Sticks and stones...

Hybrid

It only bothers me if it is directed at me. In this instance, Blackee was speaking without a single person aimed at his insults. It would have been different if he said that Hybrid was a fat, lazy, yada yada yada, but he didnt. If he did, he would also be in violation of the respect rule. I could be wrong, but that's just the way I see it. I know there are generalizations and unfair assumptions about people, but I also understand that there are individual differences within people. Therefore, I didn't see his insult as applying to me. That's why I didn't let it bother me...

Juliet

Juliet Well-Known Member

Very good point of view. I'll try to see it from this angle more often :)

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

People in general are.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Ah! I'm glad you said that. Why, why are you offended? By saying that what has been accomplished. What that says to me is he has either said something totally obscene or he has hit the nail on the head and what he said was not obscene. So when you say that it says to me that he is being brutally honest and you don't want to believe it. So don't just say "oh, I'm offended *wah wah wah*" tell him why he's fucking wrong. Make a real point. If you can't, if all you can think of is how offended you are then he has probably found something fundamentally wrong in your way of thought.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

[video=youtube;16K6m3Ua2nw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=16K6m3Ua2nw[/video]

Thought this would fit within the frames of this discussion.

Hybrid

I'm glad I'm able to help. :)

Juliet

Juliet Well-Known Member

I kind of addressed this already, but I'm offended because it's a bunch of slander and generalizations towards a whole country. He didn't just say it to a couple individuals. I'm not fat, stupid, I don't I should be able to get anything I want when I want it, and I definitely do not think I'm a "piece of shit." So, yes, what he said was definitely obscene. I already pointed out why it is offensive to me, and why some other Americans would find it offensive. Does that answer your question?

travz21

I'd be offended if someone grabbed my girlfriend's ass. I'd be offended if someone spit on my mother. I would not be offended if someone made a generalization about an entire nation that doesn't affect me one bit.

That's what this article is pointing out. People need to calm down and stop acting like everything that sounds bad is offensive. Bad things can't just be said and looked past? Why do people need to point out that it's offensive? Yes, we know not everyone is a fat piece of shit. But how is that offensive really? Does that actually offend you and make you feel bad?

I see actions as way more offensive than words. If someone shits on my doorstep I'm offended. If someone throws popcorn at me and laughs at a movie I'm offended. But words are just words. Unless they are very personal and hurtful I don't see why people need to get offended by little 'politically incorrect' statements.

Dizzy Slay

Dizzy Slay Well-Known Member

I love this quote because it addresses my biggest issue with offending people. Its not so much the ease that people get offended that bothers me. For the most part, its this idea that people are somehow entitled to not being offended. Like its against the rules to accidently offend someone. Thats the part that really bothers me. We all have gotten our feelings hurt. What makes YOUR hurt feelings any more or less valuable than MY hurt feelings?

And I agree with travz21's last post

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

This 100%.

Yes, but the "race card" is played questionably almost all the time (Not addressing Americans specifically here, just speaking generally). At a point in time one couldn't even criticize Obama for fear of being labelled "racist". Even saying something against a religion could be considered "racist". The "race card" is just a small part of the big picture. Political Correctness. Where any speech or expression that can be deemed, even accidentally, 'offensive' or 'inappropriate' is frowned upon. It's worse than outright censorship.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'd like to point out that there's a difference between people being too easily offended and being able to say whatever you want. It's not black and white. Being politically correct not only prevents unneeded distractions, but it makes arguments more about the truth and facts behind it rather than using insults to get your point across. Describing a group of people as being a certain way creates the impression that it's true for the individual within that group. I think it's less about being offended too easily and more about the falsehood of generalizations and how these lead to negatives in society like stereotypes, rumors, and bigotry. Generalizations are a cowardly way of speaking, period. If someone has a problem with someone else, address them specifically to avoid innocent people feeling offended.