Are Hybrid Theory and Meteora overrated?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Minty Loops, Feb 5, 2017.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Yeah, this record probably won't sell much better than THP did.

As for HT/Meteora, it's literally been within the last few months that I've finally been able to let go of my Hybrid Theory nostalgia enough to realize that it's not nearly good enough to be worth putting on a pedestal the way I have for so long. I went years saying that albums like THP and ATS "nearly lived up to Hybrid Theory" or whatever and finally I realized I was only saying that because HT was the album that got me into the band in the first place. Realistically, it's a middle-of-the-pack album like Minutes to Midnight, and Meteora and Living Things are significantly worse.

Brandon and Deliveranze like this.
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Yeah. I think at best, this will sell more than THP but that's wishful thinking.

I felt the same except about Meteora for awhile. Hybrid Theory isn't anywhere near the band's best material but it's definitely solid and I understand why people like it so much but, I'd agree it's a middle-of-the pack album.

InStereo

InStereo Well-Known Member

I think the thing is that you will need different standards when you try to rate the different records. Hybrid Theory contains of great songs with standard structures but for what it is trying to achieve it is a perfect album. If you take Meteora out of the context of the bands' discography the same might apply (although lyrics are a Little weak) but as soon as you know about HT's existence it will automatically get worse.

A Thousand Suns is trying to be something completely different and it should be judged by different standards. Is it as catchy as HT? No. Is it more challenging for the listener to comprehend? Yes...

That being said it doesn't make too much sense to compare the records. While ATS is my favorite right now I would argue that HT stands for what it is in perfection.