[AUDIO] "Rebellion" Premieres on Zane Lowe - BBC Radio 1

Discussion in 'News' started by Louis, Jun 3, 2014.

1. linkinloch

linkinloch Well-Known Member

Source?

2. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

That would be incredibly lame considering there pretty much already is one. I'm so UIG'd out.

3. lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

I still don't understand how people like IBG but hate UIG. Yes, it is my least favorite song so far from the album but I still give it a solid 8/10. Sounds much better than the current crap that plays on the radio. I think it fits perfectly between Wastelands and Rebellion also.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  4. JasonJielN

JasonJielN Well-Known Member

IBG sucks. The 5-minute demo version is so much better. And they should've put it on LT instead of that version (at least in my opinion)
    And yeah I don't understand why people dislike UIG so much :D I know it's a little repetitive but it's not that bad.
    But that's their opinion, we can't judge them :D
    And yeah, I'm enjoying Rebellion so much, so happy because its lyrics are so much better than the previous ones.

5. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I agree. But on the edit, society hasn't BECOME greedy. It's always been that way. Greed is part of human nature. It's been there since the start, and honestly, as bad as things are in the world, it's a more peaceful world than it was in the past

6. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I guess you do have a point. Although I would argue that from what we have documented, that the world is more Greedy today than ever.

However, this could just be bias from living in today's world.

7. linkinloch

linkinloch Well-Known Member

I personally loved UIG, the song is catchy as fuck and Chester's vocals (and backing vocals as well) are insanely good. :) I don't care if the song is too cliche, radio friendly as some people said. About the lyrics, nothing brilliant but this is far from sucking. I actually think the second verse is pretty decent!

Both Rebellion and UIG are my favorites, but I can't tell which one I prefer, they are completely different songs.

8. Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

9. JasonJielN

JasonJielN Well-Known Member

10. outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

1000 in the past the poor were condemned to a fucked life, but nobles and the clergy were rich, powerful and... greedy.

i dont think the world is more greedy or less greedy now than in the past, its always the same.

11. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Blake, you explained that very well. I definitely understand what you're saying. I try my best to NOT be the way that you described people living in America. I, too, am fairly patient and do not expect to have the nicest things in the world immediately. Unfortunately, there appear to be many who feel they need to have all the "best" things in life as soon as possible. This certainly contributes to society as a whole being impatient and quite selfish.

With that said, I don't think it's fair to put a blanket label on Americans like that. There are hard working, honest, decent people in this country that do not act like the world owes them anything. There are always exceptions to the rule. I just hope that Rebellion isn't putting a blanket label on everyone in a "fortunate" society, as that would be unfair. Lastly, I acknowledge that many countries outside of the U. S. have serious issues, especially with internal strife (civil wars) and significant economic inequality between classes. We just can't forget that even first-world nations have these problems as well, especially economic inequality. What this indicates is that societal issues like these can happen anywhere, even countries that are considered wealthy or stable.

Edit: One other thing that I wanted to add is that Rebellion may very well be open to interpretation and could apply to more than one group of people. I'm starting to think that this song may be referring to the massive corporations that are never satisfied with the wealth they have and attempt to "rebel" against progress or change that supposedly harm their profits. If you think about it, the CEO's and leaders of these corporations more than likely never experience the hardships that less fortunate people face, especially in developing countries. All they seem to care about is how much money can be squeezed out of a particular industry, regardless of the human costs and future consequences.

12. hazuki

hazuki Well-Known Member

13. ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

That's kind of the point of the song, at least my take on it; first-world economic inequality is still in the first-world. There were days where my family would debate using what money there was for food or bills, but elsewhere, some other family would debate whether going outside means life or death for them with whatever is around them. No matter how bad you think you may be having it, there's always someone else catching more shit than you.

14. NikoLpSoldier

NikoLpSoldier Daimonas

Rebellion is the hardest track by LP to play on guitar as far as i know.
    Does anyone who has heard the new album remember riffs that sounded harder to play?

15. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I agree with this. I guess it's just harder to understand if you haven't experienced the struggles and misfortunes of those less fortunate. Even so, I hope that the band eventually clarifies the main theme of the entire album and maybe shed more light on individual songs. It just seems that Rebellion's lyrics in particular could be interpreted in different ways.

16. mastae

mastae Some Honky

While I understand most of everyone's take on the song, I disagree that is simply about spoiled brats complaining about texts and food they don't like.

I think the phrase "imitations of rebellion" is quite literal. The occupy movement, much of the social justice campaigns you see on social networks, where their only form of "rebellion" is fucking hashtags. This is what it's talking about. The people who act like they are an oppressed group or subculture, who are all alike in pretending that they stand by themselves... me vs. the world mentality.

This isn't to say there aren't problems in first world nations that deserve protests, but the protests don't always seem entirely genuine or necessary when that entire "oppressed" group is comfortable "rebelling" from behind a computer screen. It's not like the civil rights movement where people were being tear gassed, having their lives threatened, involving themselves in inspiring acts of civil disobedience, etc.

17. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with this. Drifting a bit from the topic, I think the "Save our girls" twitter campaign is crap. Is there anyone ACTUALLY doing something about it? Even in my country you see the hashtag bullshit when we all know the problems are just out of our windows (I used it for merely overseas awareness), but they won't fucking go out will they! Sadly only a few are fighting for all of us and that's why we've been in this mess for 15 years and counting.