Avenged Sevenfold: Republican And Proud

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Luke, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

LOL.

I swear I remember you saying you thought they were Nazis in a thread about them months and months ago. Apparently I was wrong. Sorry.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

It's cool :lol:

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I wouldn't necessarily stop or start listening to a band based on it's political preference, but I do think that political ties can be really good emotional fuel for music, like Rage, Lamb of God, etc. But I think when you're doing it just for an image (Green Day/Avenged Sevenfold) it just kind of shows what the band's true intentions are.

Luke

I agree with you that political views can be a good fuel for music however I don't agree that bands do it all 100% for their image.

The thing about images is that it's quiestionable whether bands genuinly believe what they say, sure they might go and exagerate it a bit like Green Day did but you have to understand that they'd probably want to exagerate it so that it would sell and we all know that it did :lol:

The thing about Green Day is that they believe every damn thing they've ever said about their political views because they have been punks since the mid-80s and as I've said in that MF'er of a post I wrote earlier in this thread being a punk is about anti-establishment so it's only natural that they'd write songs like 'American Idiot' etc.

Branden

That's true, I just meant they went overboard with it, in my opinion. But I think you covered that.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I don't ever remember Green Day mentioning anything remotely close to politics until American Idiot came out. Their career was at a standstill, then they released American Idiot in September 2004 to cash in on the elections. Yes, I'm sure they believe every word they say in their political songs, but they only wrote political songs because it was the hip thing to do, and the timing right before the elections was perfect. All of the liberals (except me, I downloaded it :lol:) ran out and bought the CD since it was so anti-Bush. They would've been singing a different tune if Gore won in 2000 and polls for the 2004 election showed he would easily get re-elected.

Branden

I guess you could argue that at least they tried to help your cause, Todd, even if it was for the wrong reason. :lol:

Todd

I don't think it helps one bit. People look at them as a bunch of America-hating liberals and associate all Democrats as America haters. I've got nothing wrong with bands speaking out and critisizing the government, but calling Americans idiots is not the right way to do it.

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

i agree with you

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I hope you know the record is a concept record with a political background. Not all songs are about politics. Take the time to analize the record more closely before judging it.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I don't mind politics being in music. I'm not going to disrespect someone for having an opinion other than mine. It's like if I'm an atheist and I hear a Christian band that I think is really good, I don't care. Or if I'm a Christian and I'm listening to like Matisyahu, who is Jewish, I don't really care. Maybe I'm pro-war and I'm listening to the Suicide Machines go on about the war and how it's wrong, I don't care. Not saying I'm any of those, but people have differing opinions. Everyone does. I don't think many people agree on absolutely everything. If you're going to lose respect for someone simply because they have a different point of view than you, you're going to lose respect for almost everyone around you.

If you're going to lose respect for them because you think they're just doing it for the image, which I believe A7X looks like they're doing in this case, I believe that's different.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Speaking of being "close-minded". :rolleyes:

Luke

Let me refresh your memory then :lol:

Off the top of my head I can tell you that the entire 'Shenanigans' album is all very anti Bush but because they didn't exagerate their beliefs enough it didn't appeal to many people thus the album didn't do well in the charts at all. They learnt from this mistake and boasted their beliefs when American Idiot came out and that ended up making them one of the biggest bands on the planet ;)

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I suppose people think that their political views matter when they intertwine with the music.

I think what A7X is saying is partially true and partially false. There are definately many anti-war and anti-bush bands who are just complaining and ranting. However, they're doing too much generalization. First of all, not all people in each political party are the negative image A7X makes them to be. Secondly, the band doesn't even go into each individual bandmate's views, forcing people to believe they are all the same. Perhaps this is what the band wanted but we can never know.

I am anti-war and anti-bush but I believe that if politics get too far in the way and if it comes to the point where one, especially well off financially, doesn't believe in their country and has no pride, then they should strongly consider moving to a different country.

Recently, politics has sadly been reduced to the difference between republican and democratic, which is, in many instances, differentiated only by political hot issues such as abortion, stem-cell research, gay marriage, etc. It aggrevates me that politics have been reduced to this level which is why I will strive to analyze each politican's specific politics and will vote accordingly, not just because their name has an R or a D next to it.

Anyway, back on topic, A7X has a point, but they are generalizing too much, similar to what many people do nowadays. Because I am pretty fed up with democrats and republicans (or just the image each conveys), I believe I will register as independent when I am of age to vote.

...Lauren?

...Lauren? Sadist Sagittarius

Hated Bush? That's funny, I just hated Green Day after "American Idiot" came out. :lol:

Anyways, I really don't care about bands' political agenda/views.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The only time you should care about a band's political/religious views is if they're preaching them to you or trying to profit from being political/religious. Of course it's all a matter of opinion based on the criteria for whether they're preaching or not.

You can say NIN's "The Hand That Feeds" is anti-Bush and political, but the lyrics are vague and don't recommend you should listen to what Trent is trying to say. He's merely stating his opinion and expressing himself.

A song like Eminem's "Mosh" on the other hand is a rather suggestive political rallying cry where he recommends to go out and protest against the Bush administration. That's more preachy.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Cool, they're republican in a sea full of democrat bands.

...Did I miss something? Next thread.

Todd

Here's whats funny:

[​IMG]

Do they look very republican to you? :lol:

The stereotypical republican would call them a bunch of devil worshipping hippie punks if they saw that photo.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

And you're calling Republicans close minded :rolleyes:

Todd

Its got nothing to do with closed mindedness....a lot of republicans are uber-christains and would take one look at the band and make that assumption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.