Avenged Sevenfold: Republican And Proud

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Luke, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Nope. Our country wouldn't vote for Hilary. There are too many sexists.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The key word being "most", not "all". :)

I don't want to be lumped in as close-minded or a basher of Avenged Sevenfold for being Republican just because I posted in this thread or am a member of these forums. Remember that the things I've said in this thread have pretty much synched with what you've said, about political views not mattering (although I dislike it when they preach their beliefs) in music, so using the term "you all" and referring to the entire community or all participants of the thread as being a part of the same AX7-bashing, Republican-hating clique (in your opinion) is unfair and an overgeneralization.

I'm just asking you to use a little discretion.

whoneedssubtext?

whoneedssubtext? gggg-uNOT

I'm not a big fan.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Heres a task for you Casey, go and find a Punk Rock band that is in favour of the republican party, then go and find one that fights for the democratic party instead of staying here and making pointless remarks such as that :)

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think most of the ex-Ramones (or at least one or two) are republican. :p

Ant

Ant Ambient

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

I wouldn't vote for Hilary because I don't like where she stands on a good deal of issues and because I hate her personality. And I'm willing to bet most people who wouldn't vote for her feel that way not because of her sex, but because of her attitude/personality. She comes across as a cold bitch, no offense.

Mark

Ant

Ant Ambient

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Michale Graves, former frontman of The Misfits and current lead singer of Gotham Road is a republican. Johnny Ramone, The Vandals, D.I., Antiseen, etc..

Ant

Ant Ambient

And the ball goes back to Hellflame's court... lol

Luke

Those are people from bands, that doesn't mean the entire band stands for what they do, they're not Guns N Roses :lol:

They're not punk then. Sorry but Punk is anti-establishment, that's what it was when it started as and that's what it still means today. If those bands are sending out a message that goes against that then they can't call themselves punk. It's not even a stereotype, its a fact based on what the term Punk was invented for.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to be confrontational but my Uncle was around when the whole Punk era took off and I get my facts from him as he is a former Punk himself and knows pretty much anything and everything to do with what Punk is, was and stands for. And in my own opinion it makes sense to believe him as he was also very good friends with Joey Strummer right up until he died back in 2002. In case you don't know who that is he was the leader of The Clash, probably one of the biggest punk outfits that ever were.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I find it very close minded to limit a whole genre just based on the majority's political views. Most bands are democratic/independent, so that means punk automatically means anti-establishment? You know if punk means that, then the democratic bands that flood the Warped Tour aren't really punk, since democrats are an establishment. If you want to get technical and use your definition, punk bands should be anarchists.

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

I would make the argument that current punk doesn't really resemble 'original' punk in many respects. Punk has become a much more commercialized scene over the years and has probably strayed from its roots. Is it then so hard to believe that there would be conservative punk groups?

Back on the original post... stuff like "Love It Or Die" I absolutely can't stand. The whole idea that Americans have to agree with our country at all times or be ridiculed/exiled/broiled etc. is compeltely insane. I don't agree with a lot of my country's decisions, but I have as much right to be here as the next guy.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
    Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Dude, Hellflame, shut the hell up. If punk is anti-establishment, they wouldn't stand for anything.

And punk isn't limited to The Clash or The Sex Pistols. Punk can be early Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Motor City Five, any type of music that was different for it's time. Like Johnny Cash for example.

So stop being close minded about this and shut up. Nobody should care about a band's political views. It's there personal opinons.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I think alot of people fail to realize that Avenged Sevenfold is a cheesy, tongue-in-cheek band.

Luke

First of all don't tell me to shut up.

Second of all READ MY DAMN POSTS, I've been stressing all this time that yeah it bothers me a little that they're republican but not much, I'm more concerned by how they've been slamming some good bands. Maybe you should read the posts a little more clearly and worry about being close minded yourself as it seems that you've gotten everything I said mixed up.

I NEVER limited punk to The Clash or Sex Pistols so I dunno where the hell you're getting that from but like it or not the Punk style was as Casey said Anarchism but Punk, like it or not, was about anti-establishment. Now I realise that Punk might not be as extreme as it was back in the days of 60s and 70s but it still technicly stands for the same thing today.

The whole reason I got on to this punk thing in the first place is because I felt that I had to defend one of my favorite bands but obviously I've turned out to be the bad guy once again so maybe I'll do what you say and shut up because I always seem to be the asshole in all of this but if you want an asshole I'll give you an asshole, we'll just see if a member of staff wants to say anything about your little outburst there. Don't speak to me as if I'm inferior to you, you got that?

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Ohhh Franny said shut up. Ohhh I'm so offended. Someone dosn't agree with my opinon so I must be the bad guy.

You know what, the second paragraph wasn't really directed to you, so stop jumping to conclusions. Don't take things personally. And I think this thread should be closed.

We're arguing over a band's political views. WHO. GIVES. A. SHIT.

We're not changing them, we're not making things better. Being republican or democrat dosn't make you a good or bad person. It's all opinons. Punk rock isn't always built on anarchism. Take The Velvet Underground if you think they're punk, they didn't sing all about anti-establishment. The Mr. T Experience didn't sing about anti-establishment. Even The Ramones didn't really sing about anti-establishment.

Let's all shut up, put this to rest, and stop arguing over stupid things.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

If I remember correctly, a lot of bands from the '60s and '70s who are labeled as "punk" today wouldn't even consider themselves punk. I couldn't name one off the top of my head, but it was a documentary I watched some time ago.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

People like Avenged seem like they are just blindly supporting everything done in the name of "America" and its profound glory. They are taking sides before anything starts which is a stupid thing to do. You can be proud of your country but not zealously patriotic...its a bit over the top I think.

Mark

This thread has gone wildly off-topic and gotten too heated, and before it escalates any further, I'll close it.

You don't have to be so confrontational with your counterpoints, Franny. There's better ways to disagree with someone rather than trying to provoke them. Your points would be alot more persuasive had they not been so antagonistic. Consider this for the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.