Bands That Sound the Same

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Methybrea, Feb 4, 2004.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

You can only have so many rock songs that sound different. I agree that some of the bands sound alike but like someone said before, groups are signed for talent. It's all in people's opinions of what sounds similar, but I go for the quality of the combo of the music and the lyrics, not what it sounds alike to. If you waste your time doing that, then what's the point of listening to music if you're not going to enjoy it.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Thats not true at all. Music's so endless in how you can do it....so many different styles, shapes, and patterns, and structures that ideas don't run out, its just easy to almost completely emulate another idea.

Music is supposed to be unique, and many rock bands sound the same for corporate reasons, sucking the life out of the music. There's no reason that you should sound the same (similarities yes) as another band. Being a musician since I was 7, I may have a good ear for music, but hey thats just my opinion. I don't matter what you listen to as long as the musicians are creating music and not bending to the CEOs and the large paycheques.

EvolutionaryFuse

EvolutionaryFuse Ambient

i totlay agree

A lot of mainstream rock bands sound similar but it would be a bit far-fetched to say they sound the same. They might recycle lyric ideas or use the same strong structures, maybe their guitar chords and riffs sound the similar but there's always something that makes each band unique. I don't mind too much that they're similar, just as long as they're not identical in every way. Anyway, I won't complain. Ten years ago I was listening to bubblegum pop. :whistle:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

i think that has something to do with Kroeger or whatever his name producing TOAD's CD's and whatnot.

And basically putting them together.

It was Chad Kroeger right?

Hybrid_Bunny

Hybrid_Bunny Super Member LPA Super Member

Brody from The Distillers sounds a lot like Courtney Love from Hole. As for their music, I'm not too sure. I only like The Distillers' stuff and not much of Hole's.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

i think that has something to do with Kroeger or whatever his name producing TOAD's CD's and whatnot.

And basically putting them together.

It was Chad Kroeger right? [/b][/quote]
    lol. Kroeger. I just think of frogs when I hear that name. Like Kroaker :lol:

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Brody sounds the way Courtney Love did before she completely killed her voice, anyway...sigh...I like what I've heard of early Hole, but Mono is an awful song.

Basically, everyone is still on the grunge bandwagon. It's changed, for sure, but so many of these "nu-metal" acts basically come from grunge. Puddle of Mudd sound like Nirvana, even Smile Empty Soul have a Nirvana-esque sound...Creed are close to Pearl Jam, etc. Then bands like Nickelback and Three Days Grace don't copy anyone really obviously but still play the same general sound.

I'm not saying that's always a bad thing though--Rancid sound a lot like the Clash, but they're still an amazing band. Lost Prophets sound a lot like Faith No More, but they're awesome too. And hey, I liked "She Hates Me." I like "Bottom of a Bottle."

Obviously there are exceptions--Slipknot aren't a grunge band, Adema isn't a grunge band, etc.

Does anyone else find that, considering the huge sales of Korn, Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park there really aren't many rap-metal or rap-rock bands? I honestly expected to see tons of bands with a rapper when HT went uber-platinum but it never really happened.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

kroaker :lol:

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

How about Paparoach, Crazy Town, P.O.D. etc.?

I think too many bands that sound alike is what has made alternative rock/ nu metal so unpopular (judging from sales) lately.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

Easily distinguishable bands on radio:

Metallica
    Godsmack
    Linkin Park
    A.F.I.
    Disturbed
    Beastie Boys

Those were all that I could come up with for now.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Take off Godsmack and the Beastie Boys and you got yourself a deal.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

I can tell the guy from Godsmack's voice in a split second, but maybe thats just me.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Yea, you can hear Sully's voice and tell it's Godsmack.

Sully owns all, but the music is just so generic. IMO, they're copying Alice In Chain's, anger wise.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yea, you can hear Sully's voice and tell it's Godsmack.

Sully owns all, but the music is just so generic. IMO, they're copying Alice In Chain's, anger wise. [/b][/quote]
    Their first album was amazing. But since then, they've just milked that formula for both of the albums that came after it. Godsmack was amazing, and set the standard. Awake milked the rest of that album for what it was worth. Faceless squeezed the last bits of life from Godsmack. They need to go in a different direction with their next album.

At least that's how I feel.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

not acoustic, might I add. :whistle:

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

not acoustic, might I add. :whistle: [/b][/quote]
    :lol:

Well that's just something fun they wanted to do because their fans wanted it.

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

Beastie boys are the only distinguishable rap band out there.

Ppr:Kut

Ppr:Kut Y2K

Nirvana is kinda an idol for Puddle of Mudd..