Big impact, Green Day or Linkin Park?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MtzLuis, Jun 22, 2013.

MtzLuis

MtzLuis Member

I am a fan of Green Day and Linkin Park, but i do say that i prefer Linkin Park more than Green Day. But the question is: who has had much more a impact in music and influences on you. Not who is better but who do you prefer is a good impact on the music industry. Rank songs and albums from both artists together. List the top 10 albums and top 10 songs.

Example:

1. Living Thigs
    2. UNO
    3. American Idiot
    4. A Thousand Suns

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Probably Green Day, since they were responsible for two big mainstream booms (separated by a goddamn decade, at that...) and Linkin Park, even at their peak and the slew of "Linkin Park imitators", never really broke out of the label of doing a pre-establish formula but happening to do it much better.

I don't know about ranking 10 albums and songs, but Dookie and American Idiot, even when separated from it's undeserved "political album" label, are phenomenal records and both legitimate classics. Linkin Park have never done one album as significant, even if Hybrid Theory sold a shitload.

snailharvest

snailharvest nice

GD and LP are both my favourite bands. GD i've been listening to a lot lately, because I saw them live and remembered how fucking awesome they were, but overall LP cuts it for me. That's why i'm on here and not on Idiot Nation :p.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Better for the music industry? Linkin Park.

Simply because LT, while sort of a back to basics album still introduced a lot of new stuff, while Green Day's last 3 albums kinda felt a little lazy, maybe too basic, at least for me. (I haven't heard all songs from Tre! yet, but I will soon.) I love American Idiot, and althrough I heard it almost 10 years after it was released, I kinda wish they continued going with these ''Jesus of Suburbia'' type, creative, exciting tracks. I guess you could say 21CB did that, but for me, not in the right way. (Still, some of my GD faves come from this album.) I haven't been a long time fan, as I'm a younger fan, but I personally prefer American Idiot over the last 3 and the albums before AI. Then again, I haven't heard all of them. :(. And it doesn't feel right comparing LP and GD, mainly because their music sounds very different.

As I was typing this, my brother showed me the new GD T-shirt that my parents gave him for his birthday while I was in the shower. Just a happy coincidence. :)

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Impact on the industry and culture of music? It's Green Day and it's not even close.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

David Fricke of Rolling Stone complimented the album's "12 blasts of hook-savvy mosh-pit pop" and found it to be a "plain relief" after the "weight and worry" of the band's previous two albums, observing "a hipper, richer grip in the details."

Context: he was reviewing ¡Uno!.

American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown were concept albums, rock operas, and you should view the trilogy as nothing more but the band giving themselves some space, not caring about songs not having anything to do with each other, taking a break, even. The two concepts are Green Day's best two albums, I agree, but Green Day is not just that. They've come back to what they did before they've tried to challenge themselves as much as they did with American Idiot. Another reviewer said that [¡Tre!] feels like ... a collection of songs capturing the band at its loosest and poppiest, throwing away tunes without much care. I want you to know that that's what they're doing - throwing away tunes without much care.

Also, this isn't about how the bands sound. It's comparing their impact on the industry.

ChazMik

ChazMik Member

Linkin Park, of course.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

In my defense ''who do you prefer is a good impact on the music industry'' can be misinterpreted. Comparing their impact, probably Green Day. They've been one of the worlds biggest bands for almost 20 years now, and the impact that American Idiot had, probably beats all Linkin Park albums together. Who is a better ''influence'' or something on today's music industry today? Linkin Park takes this one.

But still, you can't be possibly the world's biggest band and make 3 albums that are ''throwing away tunes without much care''? Even if it is a return to what got them famous (which is far from what's popular today), it wasn't executed that well. Didn't introduce as much originality, imo.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Yes you can, and no it didn't.

It was executed well, though, in my opinion. They're catchy pop punk and pop rock songs. And anything catchy is popular today. Alright, not anything, but you see my point.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Not seeing it, at all. Elaborate.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

This. Damn near every band that's come out in the last 20 years that had some kind of punk-ish, powerchord-tinged sound going on (ones that anyone's ever heard of, anyway) owes some degree of their success to Green Day (along with The Offspring and Rancid), while bands like Three Days Grace, Trapt, Evanescence, etc. probably would have sounded the same whether or not Linkin Park ever existed.