Biggest Disappointments of 2008

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Daniel, Dec 2, 2008.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Without breaking the no band flaming rule, please post in here the albums you felt let you down the most this year.

My picks for the moment are:

Bullet for My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire

I didn't think this was an overly bad album per se, just that it wasn't as good as I expected.

Escape the Fate - This War Is Ours

I really should take this off my top albums list. I tried to give Craig the benefit of the doubt, but I honestly only liked two songs off this entire album. One of which is only a continuation of a song on their previous album. Craig's lyrics are shocking, and the only thing I really liked was Bryan's guitar work.

The Human Abstract - Midheaven

This one really takes the cake for me. Goes to show just what can happen when you lose a key member. I know it's the 'cool' thing to do as a THA fan to rip on the album citing the lack of A.J., but I really think it's true. Whereas now they just sound like a really bad Protest the Hero rip-off, only without the awesomeness, they used to sound a bit different with the screamed vocals and, especially, A.J.'s classical-influenced guitar-work. Number one disappointment of the year for me.

Enjoy.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Chinese Democracy.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

808s & Heartbreak by Kanye West

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Scars On Broadway's album.

Really Serj is nothing without Shavo and Daron, and Daron's nothing without Serj and Shavo. Not really impressed with what Shavo's done for himself either. SOAD really need to get back together, they all need to take a look at themselves and realise that the music they're making now is quite average.

Metalcore in general i guess.

All That Remains and Bullet For My Valentine's efforts were a bit average. Haste The Day wasn't too bad, but nothing too special. 36crazyfists and Bleeding Through's albums were good though.

Disturbed's Indestructible

It's really not that great in my opinion.

And whilst i love The Slip, Reznor can do better.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

eh, "The Slip" was written within a month, and recorded and mixed within 3 weeks. It was just a "thank you" album to the fans, really.

I can't really think of any disappointments... probably "Tha Carter III" by Lil' Wayne.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

3 Doors Down
    Scars on Broadway
    Bullet for My Valentine Scream Aim Fire
    Disturbed Indestructibile
    Underoath Lost in the Sound of Seperation
    Trapt Only Through the Pain
    Staind The Illusion of Progress
    Soulfly Conquer
    Slipknot All Hope is Gone
    Mudvayne The New Game
    Hinder Take it to the Limit

I don't think these albums are horrible as I don't mind listening to them, they just didn't meet my expectations at all, especially Mudvayne, Disturbed, and Staind.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Alesana's Where Myth Fades to Legend
    Bullet for My Valentine's Scream Aim Fire
    Dance Gavin Dance's Dance Gavin Dance
    Escape the Fate's This War Is Ours
    I Set My Friends on Fire's You Can't Spell Slaughter without Laughter
    Kayne West's 808's & Heartbreak
    Person L's Person L
    Thrice's The Alchemy Index, Vols. III & IV

I'm sure there were more, but that's all I can think of. As far as me thinking Alesana's, Dance Gavin Dance's and Escape the Fate's albums were disappointing, they're still on my top lists, because they're disappointing compared to their previous albums.

devilsnight2003

devilsnight2003 Dogs Don't kill People, Wabbits Do

Shiny Toy Guns - Season of Poison

Think it lacks the sound that made them unique with the line up change and everything, hoping their next album is better when they get more settle with each other

barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

excelent thread.

*switches to 2008 Playlist

Anberlin
    Bayside
    Bullet for my Valentine
    Cute is what we aim for
    Emery
    Family Force 5
    Funeral For a Friend - Although i only gave it one listen so ill have to go back
    Gym Class Heroes
    Hawthorne Heights - but lol anyways
    Journey - yes they put an album out, it sucks
    New Found Glory
    P.O.D
    The Pink Spiders
    Rise Against - Its not bad but i didnt like it compared to most of their stuff
    Saosin - Prbly just because its been forever and all i got was an EP haha
    Story of the Year - again its not bad, but doesnt compare to their old stuff
    Trapt

which sucks because so many of these were things i was really really looking forward to too....
    but i got quite a few great albums to so all in all id say its a fair year.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Trapt's "Only Through The Pain" was disappointing in that I didn't see much growth in it. I didn't hear much difference between that album and the two before it. It wasn't bad, otherwise.

Ant

Ant Ambient

All due respect, but I don't think that can necessarily stop it from being a disappointment in someone's eyes. It's either good or bad.

Chinese Democracy big-time, though. I figured it'd at least be decent given the time took on it, but I don't even consider it that.

Pretty disappointed in David Cook's debut, too. It's mainly power ballads. I wanted more rock.

Metallica's album was "eh."

The Toadies new album had a few good tracks, but it wasn't very good Toadies material.

Jawsome

Jawsome Well-Known Member

In Flames - A Sense of Purpose

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

agreed

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

How many other people actually think Kanye West's latest album is really good? I'm not trying to be confrontational, just wondering.

The Gym Class Heroes and Del Tha Funkee Homosapien albums are pretty sub-par compared to their previous work.
    Innerpartysystem's album had a little bit too much filler.
    And the best thing Lil' Wayne did all year by a million miles or so was his verse on Kanye's album. He has it in him to be really good but I wasn't really impressed with TC3.
    Alkaline Trio are capable of much much better than Agony & Irony (definitely as far as some of the lyrics are concerned), but then again it just goes to show what a good band they are, what with how they've released what is an outstanding album for the most part without even seeming to have tried that hard.
    I could criticise Metallica for not equalling their previous peaks, but at the end of the day I think to be still making good music is all you can really be asking of them now, and I think they achieved that with Death Magnetic.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
    Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Kanyes album is my favorite album of the year. Ive been playing it in my car since it came out.