Brad Delson talks about Linkin Park's upcoming, "guitar-heavy" new album

Discussion in 'News' started by Andreina, Mar 18, 2014.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

A.k.a- BBB!

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Funny hearing Fred saying something about substance...

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Killer interview!

I think what has got me excited the most is their mentality "to fill a void". As Brad said it, it's the same mentality that was behind the conception of HT, which is still, to this day, my favorite record of them.

Also, in regard to the actual direction of it, I'm stocked as well. Honestly, it's probably in part due to the fact that direction fits more with my musical affinities /roots. Also, because it will sure be exciting to see LP combining that kind of stuff with the progress they've made with their songwriting skills. I'm also stocked because how surprising this move is for LP. If somebody would have told me in 2012 that LP would make some heavy guitar-driven music 2 years later, there's no way I would ever have believed that. Bring on the record LP!!! (w00t)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

Why is it bold? He's not saying that there is anything wrong with songs being three minutes and 30 seconds long. He is just saying that they're heading in another direction with some of the songs on this specific album. Doesn't mean he is forever condemning short pop songs.

Great interview, I can't wait to hear the album. The whole pre-determined concept/vision that the band seems to have for this album really reminds me of ATS. In some ways, I think this album will be more like ATS than any of the other records. Maybe not in terms of sound, but in the sense of direction and passion they seem to have for the project.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I agree. The band seem to be strongly focused on one specific sound/direction, just as they clearly were while they were creating "A Thousand Suns"

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

So, Mike potentially threw out an LP album and then just started over? I've heard this story before. xD.

Also, I wonder if LP can go beyond a 6 min song. Art of Life is 30mins long, Tears is 10 minutes long, both are single and are by X-Japan.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I see where you're coming from but I don't feel like the album is actually going to be full on "metal". Yeah GATS had metal elements in it, but it was also very punk in it's composition. Kind of a mixing of their early influences, like Brad said.

To me, and I'm going out on a limb here as I haven't heard any other songs...I don't think the song was released as a statement that the entire record will be metal. Instead I feel this song was released to tell the public that the new album will be #visceral :bradwink:and match that level of intensity throughout. That it will be a 'loud nasty rock album'. Not necessary metal, just... #visceral.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Limp Bizkit has always sucked

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

I'm not saying it'll be bad I just think this album won't be my cup typical of tea, but hey I probably never would have gotten into electronic music if it weren't for ATS so who knows. I'm positive I'll enjoy the album like everything else LP has put out and I hope it gives the band back some of their rock cred.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I just can't wait for this, the only thing that can make me more excited about this album is a CD-DVD combo [and who knows, a couple of bonus tracks in there :wub:] and some sick artwork ala Carnivores tour.

Qwerty19

The record won't be a full metal album, that's for sure. If anything, it will probably be more punk-influenced. LP isn't a metal band and will never be.

Not that it would be a bad thing though, as I feel the "metal" label isn't getting enough love from contemporary music fans, safe for the metalheads and some exeptions there and there. But as a whole, it seems like the genre is getting a pejorative image. Nevertheless, the genre has something to propose that few respected artists out there could deliver. For example, I love Radiohead, Ahex Twin, Arcade Fire, or let's say Bonobo, but sometimes I don't want to listen to jazzy drums, ambient layered synths, glitch beats, beautiful strings and orchestrations, bright accoustic guitars, harps, cellos, horns, or whatever other uncommon instruments.

Sometimes, I want to have a big dirty distorded guitar riff, I want to have crushing intricate drums, I want to have a guitar solo which I could see Bikers riding on...sometimes, I want pure agression, without any kind of subtle elements. Metal isn't some sort of inferior uninteresting genre, it is different, and has its own merits. Just wanted to put that out there.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

You seem to be over-hyping the album, though :closedeye

Great interview nonetheless.

Agreed. Which should be a good thing. Hopefully.

Qwerty19

Anyway, an other interesting bit of news comes from this recent interview from Mike:

He contradicts what Brad said in regard to collaborations. But I find it even more interesting that Rakim presence on the record pushed him to try and write better lyrics.

Source : http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/videos/id.15811/title.mike-shinoda-of-linkin-park-talks-rakim-collaboration-says-he-s-on-the-kendrick-got-robbed-team-from-the-grammy-s (thanks to Spitz in the "Got News" thread)

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Contradictions, contradictions everywhere.

Fuck it, I'm just gonna wait it out. No point in reading interviews when the band contradict themselves in every other interview :lol:

omin0us

omin0us Somewhere in between the kick and high-hat...

This. I absolutely agree.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Could anyone define visceral? :lol:

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I find this funny since Mike tweeted about having some other guest coming in.

*Checks twitter*
    Okay, Mike has removed that tweet. Are they trying to surprise people again like they did with Rakim? Because Brad and Chester both confirmed that there would be other collaborations and Mike did too until this interview.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;cEaEdLQbAFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEaEdLQbAFM[/video]

:kappa:

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

This kinda annoys me XD Can't they make up their minds? Maybe they had a guest in the studio but it didn't work out or something, and now they are just trying to cover it up XD

Mercedes AMG

Mercedes AMG Vrooom vroooom!!

Linkin Park just tweeted a link of Mike's newest interview hiphopdx...
    Here's the link: http://t.co/KT6D5CPefM