Breaking The Habit: Suicide Note?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Mark, Mar 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Bryan

Bryan Guest

OMG...do you even own Hybrid Theory? Those are lyrics to With You, not One Step Closer.. :rolleyes:

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

OMG...do you even own Hybrid Theory? Those are lyrics to With You, not One Step Closer.. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    ROTFL.

Holy. Crap.

That was hilarious... :lol:

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Think about the song title. Breaking The Habit.

I think the song is about cutting, but maybe not suicide. Cuz once again think of the title. Breaking The Habit. Stopping whatever it is your doing.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

yea i agree with that, but not suicide

Bryan

Bryan Guest

Think about the song title. Breaking The Habit.

I think the song is about cutting, but maybe not suicide. Cuz once again think of the title. Breaking The Habit. Stopping whatever it is your doing. [/b][/quote]
    The Habit could also be being in emotional pain. And by breaking the habit hes stopping all the pain by ending his life.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Ok i dont think the song is about suicide and heres why......a Habit is something you repeatedly do....like cutting for example.....i think its kind of impossible to kill yourself more than once.....unless your immortal :shifty:

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

All right...No one ever said he’s killed himself before. Refer to the second verse:

I hurt much more
    Than any time before
    I had no options left again

That means that he’s attempted suicide before and it’s failed, and this time, since he actually went through with it and suceeded, he’s hurting a lot more than the previous times he’s attempted suicide.

It’s very, very logical.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

All right...No one ever said he’s killed himself before. Refer to the second verse:

I hurt much more
    Than any time before
    I had no options left again

That means that he’s attempted suicide before and it’s failed, and this time, since he actually went through with it and suceeded, he’s hurting a lot more than the previous times he’s attempted suicide.

It’s very, very logical. [/b][/quote]
    ahhh...da*n.....thought i had somethin going

RAPYUE

RAPYUE Member

i like this song

5TrEe7 S0lJ4

5TrEe7 S0lJ4 Well-Known Member

this song makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! :)

5TrEe7 S0lJ4

yea

Bryan

Bryan Guest

See this button? [​IMG]

Use it. ;)

5TrEe7 S0lJ4

wut did u quote that 4? i didnt type that...jk :D

raf

raf Member

Linkin Park has said many, many times that they don't specifically pinpoint an interpretation on their lyrics, so people can relate them to their own situation. However, you have to bear in mind that Mike has been trying to write this song for 6 years, about a specific situation that has greatly affected him. In my opinion, this song is about suicide.
    What might throw people off, is the fact that it isn't written clearly straight forward. One, for the simple fact stated above, and two - remember what happened with "Adam's Song" by Blink182? At it's core, it's an anti-suicide song, but kids comitted suicide to it. And Linkin Park ran into their own problems, the media were trying to pin them for a school shooting/suicide incited by "In the End" which I think is about the end of a relationship anyhow... hard to relate - someone was just looking for a scapegoat, and music is all to easy to point the finger at. So when they write lyrics about touchy subjects, bands really have to tread lightly. That's why I believe Mike coined the term Breaking the Habit, so it wasn't horribly obvious. Observe some points to support my case:

1. The gun shot at the beginning - shooting yourself; suicide

2. "Memories consume
    Like opening the wound
    I’m picking me apart again
    You all assume
    I’m safe here in my room
    Unless I try to start again"

I can see how this can be interpretated as self mutilation or infliction, but using the phrase "start again" suggests that the person is trying to commit suicide again. People who cut themselves don't sit in there room and "try to start" again, like worded here. Sounds more like failed attempts at suicide.

3. The lyrics: "I don’t know what’s worth fighting for, or what I have to scream" suggests that he has nothing to live for, and that other failed attempts at suicide could've been a cry for help.

4. Don't automatically take one train of thought here. It's Figuretive language. Just because he says "breaking the habit, doesn't mean it has to be drugs, or a bad pattern of alike things like cutting. Take these lyrics for example:

"I don’t know how I got this way, I know it’s not all right... So I’m breaking the habit, I’m breaking the habit tonight"

This person has reached a point of desperation where they've got nothing, their life is repeated despair and pain.... "I hurt much more, Than anytime before, I had no options left again..." There only option is to take their own life. Their breaking the habitual return of pain that they instiage, and often bring upon themselves, or at least that's how they see things throught their perspective.

5. "Clutching my cure, I tightly lock the door, I try to catch my breath again" Clutch suggests a gun. Clutch a razor doesn't seem smooth, but that's not really valid to say - but really - a cure to all their pan - a gun - to end their life. Think about it.

6. The chorus changes to "I'll never be alright" - "never" is permanent, the person is ending their life - breaking the habit.

7. This is the biggest supporter of the suicide theory, these lyrics:

"I’ll paint it on the walls
    ‘Cause I’m the one at fault
    I’ll never fight again
    And this is how it ends"

Paint in the walls? Sounds morbid - but what happens when you shoot yourself? Blood paints the walls. They'll never fight again... the pain ends, "and this is how it ends..." it's all over, they're life is over. It's pretty obvious. These lines aren't consistent with drugs or cutting, nor are they optimistic in my opinion.

Thanks for reading this the whole way through, I just got a great urge to throw some big support to the suicide interpretation, as it's very logical, and is how I interpret the song. I wouldn't say that other interpretations are wrong - it's music - interpret it your own way and enjoy it. I just don't like to see people completely cancel this interpretation out - open your mind!! Either way it's a brilliant song, and even though I would say it is about suicide, I wouldn't say it's not optimistic. At it's core, just like "Adam's Song" it's an anti-suicide song - maybe it'll give people in need some hope out there when they need it most. Either way, a genious song.

- RAF
    "Believe and you can Achieve"

torres

torres Active Member

I think this one is about fixing yourself rather than killing yourself.

I think it's about a person that realizes that the problems he or she is in are from her own fault and decides that he or she has to break the habit of putting so many dark images in her head or putting herself under so much conflict cuz if not, the person will never be alright.

This song could relate to being a kid and fighting with your parents but realizing that getting depressed over life and what your given never solved anything and that one has to strive for the best, one must break the habit of being a crybaby in a sense.

I hope my theory made sense.

I rather be optimistic than pesimistic. I'm sticking to that.

Bryan

Bryan Guest

The only lyrics your using though, are "Breaking The Habit". There are plently of other lyrics in the song that strongly suggest suicide.

Breaking The Habit, the habit he is talking about can be the pain in life, and hes breaking that habit(pain) by ending his own life.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

i think they pinpointed it on One Step Closer. In fact, i'm almost positive that was the song.

basically, you regurgitated everything I said on the first page, lol.

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

Adam's Song by Blink 182 was written because a kid named Adam sent them an email saying he was fed up with his life adn said he was going to commit suicide. Blink 182 thought it was sad and wrote a song about it.

dkjamie

dkjamie Active Member

Hey, Everyone, :)

My name's Jamie and I'm new to this board. I'm a LP fan, otherwise I wouldn't be there, lol.
    Anyways, I've read a lot of your posts and since "Breaking The Habit" is one of my fave songs on "Meteora", I thought I'll make my first post here.
    I think the person who write that the song is about suicide is completely right. The first time I heard it I thought it was about suicide. It's just my opinion, of course. Of course, everyone is entitled to have its own. But rather than just say the same things RAF said just before me in here, I'll quote him.

I hope my post isn't has useless as I think it is. :blush:

Jamie.

20. raf

raf Member

Adam's Song by Blink 182 was written because a kid named Adam sent them an email saying he was fed up with his life adn said he was going to commit suicide. Blink 182 thought it was sad and wrote a song about it.[/b][/quote]
    I've never heard that, but that could very well be true. But I remember an interview with Blink182 where they asked the band their thoughts on the kid I think who went to Columbine school, who commited suicide after setting his CD player to loop Adam's song. There was more than one case of that.

Also, it wasn't "One Step Closer" it was in the end.

"Williams wrote a note to his father, copying the lyrics of a song titled "In the End" by the band Linkin Park. The song laments lost chances and contains the words, "I tried so hard and go so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter."

See for yourself on these two links:
    http://www.takeoutmusic.com/articles/news_...ng_june2001.htm
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/s..._1n16psych.html

I respect your view of optimism. I, myself, prefer and strongly promote an optimistic view on life. But, still, appreciate this for what it is. Sadness and despair is where optimism starts, remember.

And as for regurgitating everything from your post LPFAN. Hah, sorry, I hadn't noticed. I skipped to the last few pages as they piled up, and it really started to get to me how no one will at least acknowledge the song might be about suicide. So I posted my opinion and backed it up the best I could. It's perfectly fine to think the song is about something else, but at least back it up and support your opinion. Using just the lyrics "Breaking the Habit" and making a concept around it doesn't stand.

Oh, and thanks for the support Jame! ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.