Breaking The Habit: Suicide Note?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Mark, Mar 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I've never heard that, but that could very well be true. But I remember an interview with Blink182 where they asked the band their thoughts on the kid I think who went to Columbine school, who commited suicide after setting his CD player to loop Adam's song. There was more than one case of that.

Also, it wasn't "One Step Closer" it was in the end.

"Williams wrote a note to his father, copying the lyrics of a song titled "In the End" by the band Linkin Park. The song laments lost chances and contains the words, "I tried so hard and go so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter."

See for yourself on these two links:
    http://www.takeoutmusic.com/articles/news_...ng_june2001.htm
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/s..._1n16psych.html

I respect your view of optimism. I, myself, prefer and strongly promote an optimistic view on life. But, still, appreciate this for what it is. Sadness and despair is where optimism starts, remember.

And as for regurgitating everything from your post LPFAN. Hah, sorry, I hadn't noticed. I skipped to the last few pages as they piled up, and it really started to get to me how no one will at least acknowledge the song might be about suicide. So I posted my opinion and backed it up the best I could. It's perfectly fine to think the song is about something else, but at least back it up and support your opinion. Using just the lyrics "Breaking the Habit" and making a concept around it doesn't stand.

Oh, and thanks for the support Jame! ^_^ [/b][/quote]
    maybe we're thinking of different school shootings. there was one in 2000 or 2001 in California that critics blamed on One Step Closer. the place name started with "Santa", i think.

edit: here's some articles about it. Santana High School was it. http://www.mtvasia.com/news/International/...03/0103146.html and http://www.mediaresearch.org/BozellColumns...col20010320.asp

"On March 5, 15-year-old Charles Andrew Williams opened fire on classmates at his Santee, Calif. high school, killing two and wounding thirteen. It is, perhaps, a morbid reflection, but we all knew there would be another school shooting. We also knew that sooner or later someone would find a link between it and the entertainment industry.

In the case of Andy Williams, the link has been found. During a "Dateline NBC" interview, one of the boy's friends said that a song by the rock band Linkin Park inspired Williams to commit the murders. Linkin Park's lyrics include, "Everything you say/Takes me one step closer to the edge/And I'm about to break," and, "But I know just what it feels like/To have a voice in the back of my head."

edit2: wait a sec, it's the same shooting. both songs have been inplicated?

2. Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

didnt some guy in america kill people after listning to a slipknot song? im sure the police pointed the finger at them :mellow:

3. raf

raf Member

The first URL doesn't cite One Step Closer as related to the shooting directly, it's only citing the song in reference to the band. But, the other URL, yes, it seems both are being blamed.

The way I remember it is, the shooter was a big fan of the band. He pinned a note written to his father onto his stereo speaker the day of the shooting which had the lyrics to "In the End" on it. What I'm thinking is, that he told his friend how much he liked the song, which MIGHT HAVE gave some incite after the shooting occured. I hope he didn't tell his friend: "Hey, these lyrics really relate to how I'm getting bullied and how I'm gonna go into school and shoot everybody." I don't think that would be the case. Either the friend very horribly mis-used his words, or the article did. saying the song "Inspired" the shootings is completely off base. Williams clearly went through abuse and bullying, as he himself stated how that was the biggest reason he to bring a gun to school. It wasn't a Linkin Park song, which is ridiculous.

I hate when people use the media as a scapegoat. I could go on about this forever, but the point is, Linkin Park has been a scapegoat already, which is why they wouldn't make Breaking the Habit blatently obvious as a suicide song.

Thanks for the info and URLs LPFAN.

4. Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

That makes me so mad. Obviously if someone is going to shoot someone, they're messed for reasons a lot more serious then angry music.

And as for it being Linkin Park, well it could have been any angry rock band he quoted lyrics from, but since Linkin Park is one of the most popular bands out there right now it makes sense the kid was listening to them.

It's one thing to have lyrics that openly say "Go kill someone," but none of LPs songs do. Breaking The Habit, sure it relates to suicide or cutting or something to a lot of us, but it doesn't say anything specific, so that could be just the way we interpert it.

5. The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Actually I heard on the news that it was By Myself.....hmmmm :wth:

6. Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

I've heard OSC and In The End, but they quote other songs too. They basically tryed to blame LP in general. *adds reply before she can start ranting again*

7. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Alright guys. Since we've gone way off topic I'm going to close this, and one of the other mods can open it later.

8. Mark

lol, it's had 100 replies, I'm not sure how we can keep it not off topic after that.

cease discussion of the school shooting, and keep going on about the suicide note part of this thread, ok guys?

i'm not sure if we had a warning that we were going off topic, we probably didn't notice it was happening. i certainly forgot about that. hah.

9. Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

The song is about having a really big problem like depression or something like that and just wanting to leave it al behind you. He's pissed off that he can't stop the depresion so he is determined to 'Break The Habit' :teehee: :chaz:

10. The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

this topic is still open? i thought this was closed last month?!?!

11. fearphobic

fearphobic Well-Known Member

ok...itz been goin on 4 a long time...and i dunno y i'm replyin' to it...but i am

yeah...it is probably a suicide song...u can tell by the lyrics...

ok....uh....

12. Mark

I don't care what any of the other staff say, when something is dead for over 2 months, it should stay dead. The problem and topic has been discussed over and over and has been resolved, we don't need more echo-ers. I'm closing this.

chazsbabyforevaandeva: your name is too long, it's actually stretching the part of the forums which shows your stats. please contact an admin with a new name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.