Canadian Elections (Vote only if Canadian)

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Justin, Jan 15, 2006.

?

If you could/will vote, which party would you vote for?

1. Conservative (Stephen Harper)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Liberal (Paul Martin)

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  3. NDP (Jack Layton)

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Bloc Quebecois (Gilles Duceppe)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Green

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Other (Name It)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    Shiraz

Shiraz Well-Known Member

Wow Mark, I'm seeing a really new side of you right now. Heck, I didn't even know you were Canadian too.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

One reason I love elections: People arguing is sooo amusing.
    One reason I hate elections: They're damn annoying, hearing about them all the time.

:lol:

NofxPants

NofxPants Does your house have stairs?

Unfortunatly i'm pretty sure that Conservatives are going to win. They are going to bring Canada down to shit. It's a bad way to go down.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

I love your logic. Voting for green helps Conservative. Right.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It does. Considering the Conservatives are ahead in the polls and the one party that supports the Green Party's views is second (being the Liberals), one would hope to further the Green Party's view of environmental concern by voting Liberal. If you care so much about the environment and the Green Party's views, your vote is best placed in one of the two parties that most simalarity shares their views, being the Liberals. Vote vicariously.

Justin

Justin See you there

The only way the liberals will have a decent shot will be if independent and smaller parties ply their support for the liberals.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Actually, Mark, here is where I partially disagree with you.

I will vote Liberal, but only because I think its the best way to prevent a Harper Government. As for my actual opinions on the Liberals I think that they have drifted too far to the RIGHT, especially since Paul Martin became PM and Chretien's third term. He's been cozying up to big business and so has offered a lot to the economic well-being of this country...but little great change has been done on the social, cultural, and environmental issues that are very important.

They have cut personal/corporate income taxes at the cost of social services just like the Conservatives like to do and have allowed polluters off without minimal penalties. We now have to eliminate a quarter of our emissions to meet Kyoto Protocol Standards. Some of our Aboriginals in the North still live in Third-World conditions. Privitization is creeping up in health care, education, and other services.

I'd say a better choice would be to go with the NDP or Greens that offer a more sustainable, issues-based campaign.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

And I'll agree with you on the Liberals going somewhat right. But they are in no way in danger of plummeting the way of the American government. I think you might agree with me on that.

But on one thing, we're both on the same page, it's clearly a choice of the lesser of two "evils", for lack of a better phrase. I don't see the Liberals as an evil, but when you compare them to the Conservatives, they look almost saintly.

I'm just saying that while it's great to support the lesser parties with votes, being the NDP, Greens and Independants, when we're in danger of electing such a hardline right-winged American-esque government with an untrustworthy leader in Stephen Harper, people who think of voting for the lesser parties kind of need to look at the big picture. The Conservatives are in the lead, although minimal, so at this point it's a choice between voting Conservative, or voting for the party that's most likely to pose a threat to them winning the elections, being the Liberals.

Not voting for the nearest threat to the Conservatives means that voting Green or NDP can only help the Conservatives. For example, as I said before, the Conservatives wish to bow out of the Kyoto Protocol, something the Green Party is proud the Liberals signed onto.

I just think people should make their voices heard for the lesser parties when we're not in danger of becoming the next slave of United States policies.

Justin

Justin See you there

So, who here is actually old enough to vote? I'm not. Watch how pissed of Mark will be when the Tories win.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

You mean that "Newfoundland, CA" wasn't a dead giveaway? :lol:

And as much as I'd hate to admit it, I'm calling a Conservative minority government.

Shiraz

Shiraz Well-Known Member

I never really noticed. :lol:

I'm wondering one thing though.....if our purpose of voting for the Liberals is to support the smaller parties, what's the point of even having them in the first place?

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Agreed, Mark. That line of thought is what influenced me to vote for the Liberals, but as I was saying (and that you agreed with) there ARE some things with the Liberal party that I don't like...but as a matter of fact I just went to the polling station and voted for my Liberal candidate :)

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Since I didn't want my mom wasting her vote [apparently she was going to randomly pick someone. >_<] I took into account of all the opinions I've read on this forum and others, and told her to vote for Liberals. Hopefully some good will come out of this.

Justin

Justin See you there

Wow, what a great day. The Conservatives are probably going to win, and the Canucks lose to St. Louis 4-0.
    So, which electoral district do you live in?
    Mine's Vancouver Quadra. So far, the liberal candidate, Stephen Owen is winning with over 50% of the total vote. 12 people voted for the Marijuana party, and 3 for the Marxist-Leninist party. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
    esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Conservatives won the bloody election. I am ticked.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
    Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

Mmm, Conservatives won... Anyone want to start placing bets on when the next election wil be? ;)

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Tommorrow.

I would laugh so hard.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Now you can feel our pain :(

AND GO BLUES!!!!!!!! :lol: About time they won a fucking game. Honestly, any team that loses to the Blues really sucks :D

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

fuck the conservatives.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Fuckin A.

Don't discriminate based on nationality...hate all conservatives equally :lol:

How long is this asshat's term?