Capital Punishment

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by rosanna, Jul 16, 2004.

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

I don't. And please don't try to change my opinion. My father was murdered and i STILL don't believe in the death penalty.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I'm really unsure. If the crime is extreme and big enough, such as the Oklahoma City bombing, I think the immediate families of the victims should come together and have some say in whether he either gets life in prison or death by lethal injection. Their lives were affected by his wrongdoings, so his life should be decided by the ones whose lives he destroyed. For other crimes, the person should be sentenced to life in prison with no possible chance of parole so he can rot in prison. But for extreme cases of mass-murder, yes, I guess.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

I dont believe in it. I mean, its too easy to punish someone. Just let him live for the rest of his life jail, and dont let him come out because of good behavior :)

The LP Junkie

The LP Junkie Member

i dont agree with capital punishment, as i dont believe in the x number of lives for another. i think that that just makes them as bad as the actual criminal.
    i agree that they must be punished, but just let them stay in solitary confinement for the rest of their life away from society so they cant do anymore damage to the general public and can cause no more pain.
    surely giving someone capital punishment would just be proving an easy way out of the pain of prison for them? an escape route perhaps?

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

There's much better ways to make a person suffer than the death penalty.

TheVoodoo

TheVoodoo Well-Known Member

yeah the death penalty is supposed to be the biggest form of suffering when in reality its far from it. I say jail for life with no chance of getting out is much worse. Or they could actually torture the person if they wanted them to suffer. (not saying thats right)

Pros:
    - Best way to make sure a criminal won't have a second chance to offend again
    - Some prisons are overcrowded
    - Save taxpayers from contributing towards the cost of feeding, clothing and sheltering said criminals

Cons:
    - Morally ambiguous - executing criminals makes us look like murderers ourselves
    - Where death is preferable to rotting away in a jail cell, the criminals have it easy

A while ago (a few months ago, actually), I was for capital punishment, believing that it's the best way to remove crazed murderers, rapists and serial killers from society. I still do - to an extent - because on rare occasions, the death penalty is the only way to deter criminals from re-offending PERMANENTLY.

But lately, I'm beginning to change my stance, especially after learning that so many innocent people have been wrongly executed in the US alone. In states where the death penalty exists, the error rates were 60% or higher. Another thing that unsettles me about this country is that it continues to execute juveniles and the mentally retarded when very few (if any) other death penalty-countries do.

The ONLY reason I approve the death penalty is because the justice system is flawed and incomptent. Life doesn't always mean life. A prison sentence of 100 years can always be miraculously reduced to 25, or even less if the inmate's behavior is good. This little girl would never have been abducted, raped and murdered if the killer was kept in jail. Criminals such as these have a record of repeating their crimes, and keeping them in jail forever (or executing their sorry asses) could save innocent lives.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

Those were awesome points Radical Dreamer. And you always have such awesome sigs/avs. (w00t)

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I KNOW! I read about that in "Stupid White Men". That's asinine.

Excerpt on innocent people on death row;

On mentally retarded and juvenile executions;

Eilonwy

Eilonwy Well-Known Member

I support the death penalty because the way I see it, if that person can take the life of another, he/she should be prepared to give his/her life. But I think they should only execute someone if they are absolutely sure that the person is guilty. And also, if one person kills another and it was proven that it was in self-defense, they shouldn't get death.

I don't see a need for taxpayers to pay to keep murders alive. They didn't care when they killed the person, so why should we care about them? But, that just my opinion.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Killing a person who killed another person makes about as much sense as painting glass, in my opinion.

Trish

Trish Y2K LPA VIP

The death penalty doesn't make any sense.

I'm probably repeating what some of you have said, but I don't see the point. It's kind of like two wrongs don't make a right.

It'd hurt more to live the rest of your life knowing that you've done something horrible and hurt alot of people.

Unless of course, you're made of stone.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Im in between on the issue.

If there's more than enough evidence to prove guilt (either admission by the murderer or DNA evidence) then I'd support the death penalty in that case, but when their guilty verdict is only backed up by a little evidence, then I'm against it because then there's always the chance that they didnt do it.

Mechanical Christ

Mechanical Christ Ein heißer Schrei LPA Super Member

Death would be going easy on them.

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

I'm completely against the death penalty. While I admit, it is a permament solution to the problem of "will they do it again", regardless it is still a horrible idea. In a 'less than perfect' society of ours, it is idiocy to employ means such as the death penalty. What if we make a mistake (and we have)? Is the ability to keep ourselves from having to worry about repeat offenders worth the amount of innocent blood on our hands? I'd say no. Then with the introduction of DNA evidence and what not, courts are still refusing to retry cases for inmates on death row, even though new evidence could very well prove them innocent. That's murder in the worst degree in my mind. Until we are able to prove guilt without failure (as if that will ever happen), we should not hold ourselves privy to the ability of determining life or death for a suspect in our courts.

Danielle

Danielle Well-Known Member

Isn't the person who kills the murderer or whatever just as bad as the person?

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

i believe shooting someone in self defense is legal.

for example if someone is holding a gun to you, you can shoot them but if say they were trying to steal your car and you shoot them when theyre trying to run away thats illegal.

i think thats how it goes :wth:

ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

did you guys hear about the executions in china? they killed a lot of drug dealers in public. the worst part is, the dealers had to pay for their own bullet. i think thats horrible.

Leones

Leones Super Member LPA Super Member

:eek: wow, that's indeed horrible.

I'm against the death penalty, if you really want to punish someone who committed serious crimes, like the murder on more than one person and doesn't have deep repentance, I'd say to put the person in jail for the rest of his/her life. So, there will be time to think about his/her crimes and let them pay for it. That's punishment.

JoJaDaWg

JoJaDaWg Active Member

I do believe in the death penalty. I don't totally believe in the eye for an eye thing but...since we are dealing with such a grave thing as death, i feel that people should see what suffering is.