Capitalism

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Link04, Jan 14, 2005.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

What's your view on it? The way it's carried out? Be as general or specific as you want, I'd love to see the ideas and rants. I've been tustling with Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, and am anxious to see what you all have to say on the matter.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Plain and simple to me, like communism, it doesn't work. Capitalism depends on "free markets" which means there is no regulation and competition keeps prices down. Of course, this idea is impossible, since Big Business rely on heavy government regulation of the markets (imposing tariffs, cutting taxes, etc) to help their profits. Eventually what would happen is that it would turn into a society run by the elite, with the majority of its people impoverished and brainwashed by the media which is the tool of the elite.

Wait a minute...that sounds a lot like the US :lol:
    But seriously, thats whats happening there right now.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Political extremes are always faliures. I think it says enough.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

All I know is that I fuckin' love Wal-Mart.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

Open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. And offers such great amusements.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I agree with Odation. In theory, capitalism and communism would work great, however, when put to use, the ideas are twisted to an extreme and it doesn't work. Anarchy is the only form of rule that actually works in the way it was meant to, only because there are no rules for how it should work.

As for Wal-Mart, I hate their policies, and I hate them as a company. I hate the right wing attitude of the company...."Lets not sell violent video games and CDs with bad words on them, but we can sell shotguns!" I hate their TV commercials where employees praise Wal-Mart and they show Wal-Mart employees being friendly, when in reality, their rude employees won't even acknowledge the precense of customers who pay their salary and make no effort to make shoppers happy. I hate the fact that, since where I go to college, a Wal-Mart is the only place to shop, I spend my money there and I hate how the stores are filthy and trashy, especially being an employee of Target for 2 years where keeping the store tidy and clean is #1 priority. But god damn, when you go to college in a small town and get bored, there's nothing more entertaining than a group of people piling into a car at 2 in the morning and going to Wal-Mart for absolutley no reason

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

The Wal-Mart here is much friendlier and cleaner than that. It probably varies store to store, because the Target back home is pretty rancid. But I'll agree, roaming Wal-Mart at 2AM is probably the best amusement a small-town college offers...and it's legal.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

That's odd, I bought GTA:SA, GTA: Vice City, GTAIII and Manhunt all from Wal-Mart, and I've gotten some unedited CD's from there (Slipknot) as well.

Wal-Mart is just fun when you're with friends and you're just fucking around with shit. We usually hit each other with the pool noodles. Fun times.

I don't really want to look into the evils of Wal-Mart or anything, seeing as how I'm only 15, and quite frankly, I don't want to waste my teenager years dwelling on how fucked up America is. Actually, haha, I just don't give a fuck if Wal-Mart is corrupt. The place is fun as hell with friends, plain and simple.

And their chicken is superb.