CD-ROM Not Reading Burned Data CDs Anymore

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Omar, Nov 15, 2008.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

Hey, so I've had this problem for awhile now, and decided to try and do something about it.

My CD-ROM no longer seems able to read certain burned data CDs of mine. By read, I mean detect their presence, and by certain, I mean that some data CDs are still read fine, whereas others that used to be read and played fine, are no longer read.

DVDs, audio CDs (including burned) are still read fine everytime, but its something about certain data CDs that just don't allow them to be read anymore. Related to this, is the fact that my CD-ROM now sometimes takes 2-3 CDs to correctly burn any kind of disc, however, I don't understand how this can affect CDs that were previously read fine before.

Any help?

ondiron

ondiron Well-Known Member

Ok, on your CD drive cover-thing there should be a number with an italic "x" after it, located probably on the left or right side of the drive. Try to find the number and post it here... And I'll get back to you.

ondiron

Yeah, Tomi, that's what I was thinking too. Might be time for a new CD-ROM drive... But Omar don't go out and buy a new one because the speed might not be the problem.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. :confused:

ondiron

Ok, there is a couple things...

1 - The quality of the CD blanks that you are using to burn the data on to may not be high enough for your computer.

2 - Perhaps you are trying to burn data on something is not a data disc? (For example if you're trying to burn data on a mp3 or DVD blank.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

But the thing is, I had CDs that were burned years ago (on this computer), and were read fine for years. Now, some of them just don't get picked up by the computer. That's what makes it really odd. If all CDs/DVDs stopped being read, I could write it off as a problem w/ the drive, but that's not happening.

Thanks for all the help though. :)

And let that go, Tomi. I don't think my reaction was unwarranted, considering I may have deleted all my songs and not have been able to put them back up.

ondiron

Hmmmmm...

There's one more thing you could try.
    I looked into this on the internet (my best friend) and other people have had trouble with data CD's not being read.

You might want to try to clean the lense inside the drive with "a clean, dry, lint-free cloth." But don't touch the lense with your finger (Duh...)

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Tomi:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1339

---

So your comment would've had Omar restore his Ipod, and it would've wiped out all the songs he had on there. Rather than answer yes or no, you decided to edit his post and bold it out...and yet you happen to think you weren't being a smartass by doing that? You were MOST DEFINITELY being some what of a smart ass/know it all; and your need to act like one could've cost Omar all of his songs. I say this because the way I take your post is that he would NOT lose his music, even though if you "Restore All Settings" on the Ipod, that's exactly what happens.

So please, do your research next time before spouting off on something you (as evidenced by that link I just posted from APPLE) know nothing about.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Have you actually read the topic, Derek? What you just said is completely irrelevant. The option Omar was referring to was within the iPod interface, not on iTunes, as your post refers to.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

BIG difference between restoring settings in iPod and in iTunes.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

...I am so confused. Did someone accidentally merge two topics together? There is nothing in here about Restoring an iPod...

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

I've been trying to resist to point out how much of a smartass you're being right now, but I can't help it.

Firstly, your quote is out of context, so if someone didn't follow your link, they wouldn't realise this:
    Your implication is that this quote is the behaviour of "restore all settings" via the iPod interface, but the quote is actually the behaviour of the iTunes interface, as the website clearly states in it's steps, if you bothered to take two seconds to read it before attacking me.

Derek, if you want to be a smartass without looking like an absolute moron, you should follow your own advice. "[D]o your research next time before spouting off on something you (as evidenced by that link I just posted from APPLE) know nothing about."

I can see my efforts in helping in this forum are unappreciated. Considering I have two administrators openly attacking me - one calling me a douchebag, and the other being a smartass to call me a smartass, I'm done helping in this forum. You would think ADMINISTRATORS of a popular forum would sort things out responsibly and professionally. After all the posts I have made in this forum helping, I get this as a thank you. Go figure.

My deleted post refers to this topic.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    Chris.

That link just leads back here...but this topic is about CD-ROMs :lol:

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Oops, copy and paste fails me again. :lol: Fixed

Chris.

Oh, Alright. I thought these posts were taken from that topic. Thats where I got confused :p

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

What's going on here? Why is an iPod issue being argued in a CD-ROM support topic? If you have no answers or solutions for the person in need of help just leave the topic alone.