Challenge: Convince Me To Not Buy A Mac

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Mark, Nov 12, 2010.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

After a few frustrating battles with Windows OS-based systems, I am at a crossroads with Microsoft.

I have thought about switching over to the dark-side and buying a MacBook Air but I wanted to get peoples' input, since there seems to be a bit of an anti-Apple sentiment in Tech Talk.

There's a few things I'm getting used to with Macs from using my sister's computer, like the triple-clicking of an address in the address bar of Safari to select all, and the lack of a Windows-esque "delete" key function (I'm aware the conventional "backspace" bar is called delete on Mac OS, but I think you'll get what I'm trying to say).

Keep in mind I am not a computer gamer. I'm very low maintenance when it comes to graphic cards.

So sell me on the pros and cons of Mac ownership.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Don't do mac. do dual boot:

Here's Linux

It's free. You can install it side by side with windows (two operating systems, one machine). You don't need to buy a whole new computer. Likewise, a huge suite of programs for Linux are open source and are also $0- like Open Office (a free version of Microsoft Office), GIMP (a free version of photoshop), firefox, and a ton more.

I've been using Windows and Linux together for a few years now, and I think they complement each other's strengths and weaknesses very well (imo, all operating systems have problems, ditching an OS for it's problems is only gonna make you frustrated about the other system's new problems). Like Mac OS, Linux is a UNIX based system and no one ever writes viruses for it, so it's safe. Also, if something bad happens to one of your partitions anyway, you can always boot into the other operating system. Only on a hardware failure will your computer ever be completely shut down.

In my experience, i typically use Windows for the big fancy programs like Photoshop and for games, since big companies tend to support Windows better than Linux. I tend to use Linux for quick web surfing (it boots up faster than windows) and it plays movies good too.

It's not perfect, about a year ago there were big sound problems, it seems to be fixed in Ubuntu Linux, with a few volume weirdness controls. Like with any OS, there will be a bit of a learning curve (you're gonna have some frustration whether you take mac or linux anyway). And I recommended Ubuntu Linux because it's easiest to learn and to install with, and it's better supported.

Since this costs you no money and only your time, I would suggest at least trying the system before dropping a few grand on an overpriced, fragile computer and leaving an old one to pollute the earth. On that site I linked above, you can download a CD-ROM that allows you to demo the operating system on your computer without installing it (it's gonna be a little slower, but you'll get to see it).

If you decide to take my advice, remember to back up all the files on your computer before installing any new system, and tell windows to defragment your drive (this will take all night), and check to see if you meet all minimum requirements. The only part during installation that might really fudge up is partitioning (the process of telling the computer which part of your hard drive belongs to windows and which belongs to linux), so please read up on that first.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I am not going to stop you.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Here's the problem, and it's my fault for not saying this in the original post; I need a new laptop.

The one I have has been plagued with hardware issues on top of my OS problems. I treat my computers well, this one just doesn't seem to like me.

So let's say I have disposable funds to buy a new laptop.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

PROS .
    -"All in one" type of computer/laptop. It will last you a while, and if you maintain well, clutter will hardly hurt your performance methinks.
    -Almost virus free.
    -Sync's freakishly well with other apple products (Ipod!) Chances are, you neednt convert a song OR video to fit onto the Ipod you have.
    -The OS is aesthetically pleasing.
    -The bottom bar is pretty neat. No seriously, i almost one ups win7.
    -Apple's laptop are amazing in form. Seriously. They're about as thick as my notebooks in my backpack. Only difference is one weighs about a few ounces, and the other a few pounds lol.
    -
    CONS.
    -Pretty much everything is PROPRIETARY.
    -Its a new OS.
    -Will not always accept programs from the web. (will accept major/majority though. :) )
    -Only 1 store will fix it.
    -Really easy to use mouses... but very...um.. Odd. Yeah. I don't like them.
    -Did I mention Proprietary? Thats a big killer for me.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Azn pretty much NAILED it Mark. Mac's are absolutely wonderful computers when it comes to durability, graphic design, music creation and video editing. However, they come at a higher than average cost (they're at least 10-20% more expensive than similarly spec'd windows based laptops) and like he said, they're proprietary and can only be fixed at Apple stores or by being sent into Apple. Therefore if you don't have an Apple store near you in Canada, I'd recommend considering a Windows laptop over a Mac and just doing a dual boot like KathyXX said. Could be a lot less of a hassle for you.

However; if you're very close to an Apple store, I highly suggest demo-ing one and checking it out. You could end up going home with one as they're great little laptops.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Unless the laptop you're getting has Windows 7, there's no reason to NOT get a Mac.

I'll be honest, I was a huge Mac fanboy. But Windows 7 is surprisingly solid. Like, I have a hatred for Microsoft like you wouldn't belieeeeeve. But that OS is surprisingly good.

So your choices are, Windows 7 or Mac. It's a coin-flip to me.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Windows 7 is good, so are Macs, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. My desktop is Windows 7, and my laptop is a 13" MacBook.

I have problems with Apple's latest tactics, but they all stem from iOS, and how locked down it is and how much of a control freak they are with the app store. But OSX is good, and I would buy another Mac laptop. But for desktops I'll stick with custom built PCs since it is so much cheaper (find me a Mac desktop that can run 5 hard drives in a RAID configuration and support Blu Ray for $1,000).

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I switched from Windows to Mac, and it was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. I have not had problems with my MacBook Pro at all.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

One day, because of climate change there will be very little rain, so a mac is not a sound long-term investment.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

It all has to do with your needs. If you are planning on using it for design/music/production bla bla, then get the Macbook, I just wouldn't get the Macbook Air, like you suggested in the OP. They only come in 11/13 inch formats, which is tiny, only have 2 USB ports, only comes initially with 2 GB of RAM, but is upgradeable to 4, but why not just get something that has 4GB RAM altogether, and not have to worry about spending the extra money, and the laptop is 1000-1600 dollars, which is a scary price for something that small. here is my source where I am getting my info http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs-13inch.html

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

My experience with apple products is that they're all horribly fragile. They tend to use a lot of glass, and I was helping out my roommate who had a broken macbook screen, not because she dropped it, but because someone unknowingly placed an object on top of it while it was closed. my iPod was probably the most fragile piece of hardware I've ever known. Its like they purposely designed it to slip out of your fingers.

I think macs are like dictatorships, efficient and cohesive, sending neverending lawsuits to foreign companies and denying their own app developers payment, and you lose all freedoms with it. The fact that all their stuff is proprietary is enough of a deterrent for me. IMO, that is not how a computer should be. If I don't like something I would want an alternative, but this isn't the case here.

Unless you're some designer or something (rly, is the performance payoff THAT much?, I'm skepitcal), there's no reason to subject yourself to Apple rule.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

OSX is no more proprietary or closed than Windows is. In fact, since OSX is based off Unix an argument can be made that its more open than Windows. It's iOS that is a closed, locked down piece of shit.

cstebila

cstebila an emerging paradigm

Go ahead, just know you'll be making an unwise decision.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Macs = User unfriendly to me.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

Windows fans. Ah yes. The ones who say "Don't purchase a Mac those are hard to use. You should install this card, buy these discs, open up your computer and add this, run this software, buy this buy that, and you will have a supercomputer that tops Mac".

Mac > PC for me but it is all preference. Do not get the air. Go for the MacBook Pro.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

That.

I've had my 13 inch Macbook Pro for 4 months and I LOVE IT. Once you go to the Mac side, there's no going back.