Chester and Mike Discuss "The Hunting Party" - Part 1

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, May 15, 2014.

1. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Lol at people who think just because a riff sounds simple that it is simple.

2. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Hey, do we know if anyone from LPA/LPL is going to the show on Saturday?

3. insanefanboy

insanefanboy RIP Chester Bennington

Hey peeps! I got a question for those lucky guys who've heard I think 6 tracks off THP or something, is Chester's vocals stronger than they were in GATS?? Really important question to me just so you know. I'm concerned (and I really feel like punching myself for saying this) because I can no longer deny that his performance in that song fell far short of what has been promised by the album, as did the whole of Until it's Gone. Heaviness, what happened?

Also there is the strong possibility I have consumed beer before posting people!!

4. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

You're better off asking this question in the thread dedicated to the 6 songs:

http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40328

5. Blake

GATS is a heavy song, just in instrumentals not vocals.

Also, Derek confirmed 4 of the 6 songs have screaming with one having boarderline screaming (GATS). All For Nothing is the only one without screaming from the 6 according to Derek. Also 4 of 6 have rapping. Hope this helps :)

6. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I agree that a "heavy" instrumental is enough to call a song a "heavy" song, but is it only screaming that makes vocals "heavy"?

7. Blake

You do have a point actually, I didnt think of it like that. The vocals are still aggressive, so I would actually agree with you.

8. stringsibanez

stringsibanez ...

I would be willing to argue that while "heavy" tends to describe louder/more distorted music.. and screaming often seems to fit with that music.. what makes a song "heavy", vocally-speaking, has a whole lot less to due with the sound of the voice, and a whole lot more to do with lyrical content and emotional weight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking to the whole genre debate: A historical and all-encompassing study of the last ~100 or so years of music would suggest that all modern music derives its roots from Gospel and (early) old-Country (both considered "Race-Music" .. Which led to Jazz and Rock.. and then R&B, Rap, and Dance (which is basically just repetitive Rock machinery).. and then everything we have now.

Literally all modern music for the last few decades (because in this sense: sub-genres are, in-fact, irrelevant), is either Rock, R&B, Rap, Dance, or in rare cases Jazz or old-Country influenced.

I would argue that ALL "Pop" music is also either Rock, R&B, or Dance (or some combination).. how catchy vs aggressive it is doesn't change that inherence per-se.

That being said: Hybrid Theory was less "Rock" with rap in it.. than it was "Rap" with guitars and live-instrumentation.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  9. lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

It bothers me that people associate heavy with loud distorted guitars and screaming vocals... I mean, if you were to put UIG into Living Things it would be one of the heaviest tracks alongside LITE and LGM. I just played GATS on guitar a few minutes ago and to be honest there isn't any other LP song that gets me pumped up as much as this song does. To me, that's the definition of heavy.

10. Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

Wow. This argument is unbelievable.
    Linkin Park is Rock. Coldplay is Rock. Imagine Dragons is Rock. Case closed.

And did someone say they didn't consider Linkin Park primarily a Rock band because of various other genres they incorporate? Nu-Metal, Alternative Metal etc. are all sub-genres of Rock. Rock is an umbrella term for various genres. You don't see a band that makes Alternative Metal being labelled as a 'Metal' band. They're always labelled as a 'Rock' band.
    Now, some might say my argument is invalid since Metal itself is a sub-genre of Rock. While that's true, Metal has evolved and branched out so much over the years that it can be considered its own genre, with the roots being from Rock. Just like how Rock has its own origins.

11. Blake

Actually, I tend to hear people label alternative metal bands metal (including myself)

Chevelle is a Metal band to me

12. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I'd say GATS vocals are heavy. He is basically shouting in that song rather than screaming.

13. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I'd say GATS vocals are heavy. He is basically shouting in that song rather than screaming.

14. Nimz Lp

Nimz Lp niimz94

Part 2 Come Soon. :D

15. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Yeah , i see what you mean, its also my opinion. There are maybe not the "heaviest" vocals , but heavy enogh to be heavy :lol:

16. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I definitely agree.

17. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Chevelle is not a metal band.

18. Jovertop

Jovertop Well-Known Member

of course they are. especially their new album

19. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Agreed!

:facepalm:

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  20. Blake

They are Alternative Metal which is a sub genre of metal.