Chester Bennington Confirms Joining Stone Temple Pilots as Lead Singer, Possible New Album & Tour

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 19, 2013.

1. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Good for Chester, this is too good an oppertunity for him to pass up. As Derek said, being involved in an established bands creative process could be a valuable experience for Chester & and spark something fresh from him in LP. I hope it does, he sounded like he was just going through the motions for most of LT.

As for taking time away from LP, fronting two bands, etc, it's all been covered. LP already cut their touring drastically, STP aren't & won't be hugely active. Very doable considering Chester won't be the main songwriter in either instance.

As mentioned, Corey Taylor manages fine, Maynard fronts 3 bands, Phil Anselmo, Joe Satriani, Chino Moreno, Mikael Akerfeldt all work multiple projects. Hell Chester has already done it before. Mike, too.

This could also have the added benifit of forcing LP to spend more time writing the next album. That's nothing but a good thing since, IMO, LT was lazy & half baked.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Maybe because that situation is nothing like this. Tom founded Angels and Airwaves while Travis and Mark started up +44 a few months after blink-182 went on hiatus.

3. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Still. He works on both now. Both Blink and AVA came out with an album 2 years ago and both came out with an EP last year. And the EPs basically came out the same day.

4. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Awesome!

I don't believe we can expect another DBS record, though...

5. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Great first post, especially for those of us who aren't familiar with STP but are now curious due to Chester's part on the band.

Welcome! And we wouldn't mind if you hop on the Linkin Park bus as well ;)

6. Stonecold

Stonecold Your Portal To Everything Cool!

guys please keep in mind that STP is an OLD band, i mean no need to worry about the future of LP because this thing is probably gonna be just 1 album and 1 tour and that's it! Chester will be back with LP in no time, its not like he's gonna be with them like forever!

7. Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

Fully concur with the thoughts of Geki early on in this thread, the first couple of pages I think.

All you folks proclaiming that LP are going to be okay are in denial. The last album was nothing flash, and touring scuppered to sporadic plays every few months, and heck, how much of LT was played live anyway? And then this.....not hard to put two and two together. At least Chester is rapidly losing interest.

Of course, I expect to be flamed.

8. NotEnoughYetTooMuch

NotEnoughYetTooMuch Well-Known Member

I know, I think LP will be okay but Living Things was my least favorite album, there was nothing really amazing and for me it got boring after a while and I've never gotten bored with any of the other albums.

But it was already said that Chester joining STP could be a push to get more creative so maybe LP wouldn't have made a better album than LT without this, and with Mike doing Fort Minor again will definitely give them fresh ideas, so my guess is that LP won't be ending too soon.
    I think this Living Things was more reason to believe LP was over than Chester joining Stone Temple Pilots

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  9. Spiderguy252

Heck I hope so. I'm not looking to instigate a conspiracy theory for the sake of it, I'm a fan just like all of you here.

10. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yes, because they're busy writing new music.

11. Spiderguy252

It's been that way since the start of the touring cycle. They surely haven't been writing new music all the time. Whatever happened to Projekt Revolutions and things like that?

12. NotEnoughYetTooMuch

NotEnoughYetTooMuch Well-Known Member

Bands always do such extensive tours as that when they start out because they have to make enough to pay back expenses from recording in the first place and bands make more through touring and selling merchandise than selling records, they said they toured less to write more at the beginning of the year and are about to start recording.

13. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Just you wait, all of you. The rest of LT WILL be played sometime before the next album is released (so likely at the Asia tour). They wouldn't just stiff us like that.

14. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The band has said many times over the last year or so that they reason they tour less now is because they just don't like touring that much. It takes a lot out of them and someone in the band usually ALWAYS ends up getting seriously sick when they do a long tour, so that's why they don't do it anymore. You've got to remember, this was the band that was famous for touring 320 days out of 365 one year (I think it was 2000?). Add in the fact that the band used to release an album every 3-4 years, and basically fill those gaps with touring and it just equals burnout and exhaustion. Which then leads to a break.

Plain and simple: The band probably just can't take touring non-stop anymore. They'd probably rather be in the studio churning out albums every 18-20 months, and doing 1-2 tours to support the album instead of touring 2 years in support of a single album. I'm basing this off of statements the band has made in interviews, and if I'm wrong the band can correct me on it (if of course they see this post).

15. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

^Derek knows what he is talking about

16. Rezanator

Rezanator Well-Known Member

It's funny to read some of the knee jerk reactions to Chester joining STP in this thread. Most of you all are so entranced with the idea of Linkin Park being a single, cohesive, tight entity that's impervious to anything that it freaks you all out when that perception of what LP is deviates a bit. Other big named musical acts do these kinds of things regularly. Hell you NEED to do different things to keep things fresh for yourself. Like I've said before, Chester imo clearly enjoys singing pure rock songs more than the LP stuff, but LP provides for his family while STP, DBS, and his other projects sustain his soul. Even if I'm wrong and LP goes on hiatus or breaks up, what can we do about it really? They've given us over a decades worth of music and that's something you can't say about a lot of bands any longer. These days it's all about the quick buck, the hot single, and then into obscurity. I personally am looking forward to the new STP album which is something in and of itself and I know LP will continue to produce music in the future. Much ado about nothing really.

17. Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

In terms of less touring: you also have to factor in the crazy costs for tickets to an LP show. I think I read somewhere the last Honda Civic Tour was either the most profitable of any previous year for the tour, for the band, or both. So, even with less touring, they are doing just fine financially.

Personally, I'm not very interested in STP's music, but I'm stoked for Chester! Can't imagine how giddy he is about this project. Might be interesting to see how this all impacts LP6.

18. Spiderguy252

Interesting, can you point me over to one of these interviews?

19. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I see a new Projekt Revolution coming up in the horizon, headlined by Linkin Park, Dead By Sunrise and Stone Temple Pilots! Special guests Fort Minor and MMM...Cookies on the Revolution Stage before they make the crowd disappear again! :kappa:

20. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I was pointing out the fact that brings out the most delicious irony /explainsthejoke

I am assuming you mean ATS, not MTM.