Coldplay's New Album Under Major Fire

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Shiraz, Jun 6, 2005.

Shiraz

Shiraz Well-Known Member

Coldplay's new album, X&Y, will either be 2005's saviour, or the biggest bust in music history. It all depends on how the world will react to X&Y's release within this coming week. While many have welcomed Coldplay's much-anticipated return for several months, it seems twice as many have been disgusted (for starters, take a look at some of the Radiohead forums). There are many things that people have criticized from Coldplay, including their lyrical quality, lack of originality, and, of all the things in the world to nitpick about, ego.
    I, personally, am a huge Coldplay fan, and as of now, I think this album is the best thing Coldplay has ever done. And props to the guy who said that Square One makes Politik seem like a b-side, because this amazing opener is only the introduction to what will be a thrilling year for one of the best bands ever. There will be amazingly high highs, and some unbearably low lows.
    Consider this the official Coldplay discussion thread, and let me be the first to say "Good Luck guys!"

Mushroom Cloud

Mushroom Cloud Well-Known Member

Personally I think Coldplay is awesome...and whether other people like their new album or not is unimportant to me.
    I like experimental music alot as well, but I listen to Coldplay because they are a nice mellow band thats easy to listen too.
    plus...their instruments blend so perfectly, they sound as if they were all being played by one person at once.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

I saw them on MTV last night. They seem kinda, eh, full of themselves. I don't listen to their music or whatever but they're not terrible people or anything, I'm sure. Their music may suck when it comes to originality and coherent lyrics, but whatever.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Agree. I do give credit to Chris Martin though for having Gwenyth Paltrow...bastard :lol:

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

I don't know. I'm one of those people who jsut LISTENS to MUSIC and doesn't try to anylise (?) the artists.

I couldn't care less if they're the cockiest bunch of egomaniacs to ever walk the planet, if they make music I like, I'll listen to it. End of story.

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Analyze. ^_^ And I agree with you. The personality of the artist does not change my opinion of their music. I love what Ive heard of Coldplay, though I dont like their new single that much. I need to hear the rest of the album.

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

wow , thats pretty stupid of someone to say..
    they're one of the most original band out there today...

CloserToCrawling

CloserToCrawling Ambient

Coldplay is definitely one of the better bands out there in music today. In the recent wave of poser, wannabe bands in the music industry, Coldplay's anything BUT unoriginal. I saw their interviews recently on MTV and heard their interview on the BlueRoom yesterday on KROQ. They didn't sound a bit conceited or egotistical. They just shared about their new album and the process of making it.

Out of all the albums that Coldplay has put out, I think that X&Y is the best one yet. My favorite song is "Politik", and when I first heard that, I didn't think Coldplay could do any better than they had with that song. But with the release of the new album, I definitely think Coldplay's achieved great skill and talent.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I agree to some extent, but for me, wether or not the artists are good people effects how i feel about them, musically aswell as personally. If they are complete twats, then i find it hard to get involved with their music. Their music may be good, but if the band are a bunch of idiots i'm immidiately put off their music. That's just me though.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I honestly couldn't care less about what people think of Coldplay's unoriginality or their attitude or their music or anything. They are one of the best bands out there today and their music is excellent. Unoriginality may be a factor which could hurt them as a band, but the songs are good. Isn't that what matters? Bands like Interpol and Linkin Park always have the same music style and aren't completely original, but there are people who think their songs are excellent.

My favorite songs from them so far are Speed of Sound, In My Place, Clocks, and Politik. A Rush of Blood to the Head was an excellent album, and so is X&Y (I listened to it off of MTVU). I think that the band fulfilled the expectations of the fans and that X&Y will be a chart-topper.

Bexyboo

Bexyboo Well-Known Member

I don't know why anyone would be disgusted by Coldplays new cd. There are loads other bands that are way more unoriginal, and lacking lyrical qualities. I think the new album is going to be great (as I haven't got it yet). I love the song "Speed Of Sound". :)

drunknmunkylp33

drunknmunkylp33 Well-Known Member

best album of the year so far, hands down.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

The album isn't under fire. It will probably top A Rush of Blood To The Head in sales.

Let Radiohead fans say what they what. Coldplay make music for the world, Radiohead for only a small group.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It's pretty amazing for Radiohead fans to try and claim Coldplay lacks originality when Radiohead has sucked for years, and to me sound the same with each new release. (Seriously, why'd you leave your 'creep' days. This tripped out computerized shit is god awful).

To me Coldplay is the only band out there who's really original at the moment, and take a focused effort to make an atmosphere/hint of originality in their music on each album they make. I was personally blown away by what I've heard by X&Y because they really expanded their horizons with this album.

It's better than Rush (which I never expected) and once again they've made a beautiful album, that manages to blend atmospheric with ingenious lyrics.

How can anyone say Coldplay cant write? This is coming from Radiohead fans where all you hear in Radiohead music now is incoherent moans? Gimme a break.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

X&Y is by far one of the best albums of the year. And especially in the world of music that we have today, there's no way Coldplay could be labeled 'egotistical.'

the_king_of_all

the_king_of_all LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I like a few of coldplays songs. i saw them live on TV a few days ago (the lead singer started making random crazy frog noises in the middle of the song though :wth: ) and it sounds good. i probably won't get X&Y unless its really something though.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

Just got my cd, listening to it now... (w00t)

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Let me know what you think when its done Omar :).

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm not a fan of Coldplay. Some of their songs are listenable but looking at the comments here I think I'll download their album to see what it's like. Then if it's good go onto buy it. ^_^

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

turn the lights off and put on some candles. (w00t)