'Collision Course' Leaks

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

In regards to Remix vs. Mash-up

I think this is a matter of opinion. (To me) in the simplest form a remix is a song with A) A new instrumental B) New lyrics/guests or C) both A and B. A Mash-up in it's simplest form is two songs (or more) put together in one song. I could have made "Faint Britney" and made an intirely new instrumental but kept the Faint strings. That's still a mash-up. It's still two songs put together. So I think Mike making a new drum beat doesn't disqualify CC and put it in the Remix realm like Reanimation. And where the hell are all these fans getting "match-up" from?

In regards to Jay-Z vs LP's Ethics

I know it all looks bad for people who look up to LP as role-models. But the fact is, they said yes to Jay-Z and not the other way around. Yes Jay-Z sometimes dehumanizes women. But you have to understand that's the lifestyle he's lived. No lies from him. He's never had a job in his life. He's hustled on the streets selling drugs. When you get a little street paper people notice and you might get girls. And their are prostitutes and pimps out there so I'm not offended by it just because Jay-Z made a song about it. At least he's a rapper and not a real pimp. Plus that's like 5% of his actual CD content. He has some insightful songs like "Song Cry" and "Moment of Clarity". Chester did drugs. Would you be mad if he made a song telling the truth about everything he's done?

Yes LP doesn't curse but they curse like hell live. People say it's not the same but YES it is! It's still how you represent yourself, on or off stage, in or out of the studio. Linkin Park could have came on the scene with curses in their CD and I bet it wouldn't have hurt them that much.

I just don't get why people trip so much. Eminem has had MUCH more controversy around him and he'd be the "lesser of two evils" between himself and Jay-Z. So I don't see how you'd like him on a CD more than Jay. Because Jay talks about pimping women but Eminem talks about killing his wife? Yeah, that makes sense. LP will do what they want, when they want. I think it's more WB projected the "goody rock boys" persona more than LP. You can not do somehing and love someone else who does. I can not want to kill my girlfriend and love that Eminem does it. Or listen to a song about pimping and bounce to the beat.

People just need to calm down. And for one last time. It's MASH-UP people!!! :rolleyes:

OrlandoJNF

OrlandoJNF Banned

WHO CARES

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Why the hell pick apart at what LP actually ADDED? What would you have liked more, just vocals layered on instrumental or some re-recordings WITH extra beats?!

I don't know about anyone else, but I was so happy to hear Jay-Z and LP mixing it up. Yeah, the swearing and all that got in the way, but boo-fricken-hoo guys, the band needs to expand a bit and who gives a crap who it is, Reanimation took the first steps and Collision Course is just a runner up. But even so, they can't be looked at the same. Sure, you can consider some of the stuff they did "remix material," but in the end, they still sampled a whole lot, and with that, it implemented at least a sample vocal from either artist, thus, it is not officially a remix. Mash-ups are about just layering, but LP gives a few cool ones and BAM, everyone expects this epic project.

Mind you I doubt LP had the same production time as they did with Reanimation considering there were almost 20 different songs (okay, except the phone tracks and stuff), compared to five. There is a large difference here, and so what? Just be glad they gave us something... You can't expect the band to be pumping out new material like some careless hooker (sorry for such a horrible analogy). I could understand had the band just blended vocal track with instrumental without any re-recordings or anything, then that would be stupid, but this took it to a new step. They took a new step, indeed, but you guys are getting a bit greedy when you expect every single aspect to be new in the concept of "mash-up."

I do expect Linkin Park to keep their title of mixing lines, but you can't get too greedy, and a lot of fans are beginning to show it, I admit to being disappointed with some things, but the way everyone is just bashing CC for not being "up to par" with their expectations is just sickening. Being an artist, it's hard to find things that click, especially if you have a diverse fan base. The songs people express dislike for here, I personally like. I personally liked Papercut/Big Pimpin', but here, people don't seem to care for it much.

All I'm saying is that an artist will make mistakes, but you can't keep feeding off of their good stuff, and then blame them for making some bad moves because we all make bad moves at least once and awhile, and who cares, who gives a crap if they are making money for it or not, I'm still buying it because I love their production. If I'm not happy with it, so what, I still support the band, no matter how much other's will pay, I'm still going to do my part as a fan and pitch in to show my appreciation. Like I said, the band could just leave us hanging and waiting for another piece of music, but they're giving out little bits. Who cares if it's old stuff revamped, it's in a new perspective, and it doesn't matter if it has a new beat or is simply just being redone somehow, it's still LP, and I like it.

And no, I'm not "brainwashed" in any way, Linkin Park were one of the first bands to really come out to me with these certain lines being blended, sure I heard of Korn, Limp Bizkit and all those other bands that were being thrown around in the same "genre" as LP, but the fact still remains even if I am disappointed with things, until LP give me a real huge factor to give up on them as artists, I'll still support the band because I personally know how hard it is to be an artist and try to please your audience no matter the media.

This is just my opinion though, but I honestly feel like a lot of the fans are getting just a bit too greedy and setting their expectations way too high for some project as small as CC. Now if CC had a playlist of 20 tracks, that's different, but it doesn't.

edit: In no way am I degrading anyone who feels differently, maybe I just didn't expect CC to be epic, and maybe others did, all I'm saying is that we shouldn't expect extremely epic pieces from side projects. I do with LP would release more full length albums, but I guess I am not expecting hugely-epic material until another actual full album is released.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Shut up.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Shut up. [/b][/quote]
    I'm sorry but I have to agree with Will. Shut up.

GUESS WHAT? I CARE.

Bet that comes as a surprise to you? Now stop being a jerk.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Of course it's "unoriginal", they're taking two seperate previously existing songs and putting them together into one song. It wouldn't have been "original" unless they recorded brand new songs each and put them together.

The album was not the biggest mistake of their career because they chose to experiment. That earns them points. If your music idol came to you and asked you to do a few songs with him, would you refuse? How could we fault Mike for wanting to do this with Jay-Z?

And of course they're not going to put alot of effort into it because it's a small little Mash-up album. I don't think they really cared about commercial success or making everything dark and moody like a regular LP song, this was a fun experience for the band, 'Collision Course' is a party album.

But you do make a good point about Jay-Z's lyrics vs. Chester's quotes. My explanation for this is; Chester says this at a concert so it doesn't happen. Jay-Z just spits out these lyrics (although he doesn't actually do these things) as he has heard from other artists. It's a part of their culture. He doens't promote the dehumanization of females, he just talks about it. It's like when Eminem tells kids to kill themselves in his music, it's music, nto a public service announcement.

And lastly, you can whine all you want about how the songs weren't structured the way you want because you know what?: If they were done your away, another fan would be disappointed for not getting it his way. So obviously some fans are going to be disappointed, while other fans on the other side of the spectrum will be thrilled.

ZeroKun

ZeroKun Active Member

i didnt like it myself , just adding another opinion into the mix , ill stick with the ole LP hehe , though its something to hold over till the next album is released

htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

OK, the album hasn't even been released and there are already people pissed. Reason: They were expecting another HT success. It's always the same shit. IT'S JUST A FREAKING MASH-UP CD. GET REAL. Linkin Park didn't intend to do this their biggest, most epic, and darkest shit ever released. This is an album you could well play in your birthday party. And I can't see why is everyone so fcking pissed about Jay-Z "corrupting LP's lyrics and sound". WTF?. Jay-Z's lyrics are just that, lyrics. Eminem's lyrics are just that, lyrics. Snoop Dog's lyrics are just lyrics. Rap/Hip-hop is a genre that is usually not dark. But LP, because it's a mix of different genres (I still remember that dude telling me that "Jay-Z wasn't rock enough for LP"-WTH?), has decided to make this mash-up CD with one of the best, if not the best, hip-hop stars.

I think that this album shouldn't be bashed. It's just a mash-up. And it's not the same as Reanimation, so don't compare them, please. I like it because it sounds good. Focus on that, listen how it sounds. Don't like it, throw it. Love it, keep it. Whatever turns you on.

On topic, I can't listen to the album on MTV.com. Crappy day.

Peace.

EDIT: May be off topic, but how did I put "birthday party" as a link?

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Eh, It's alright. Good for a soundsystem but Musically, I'm not really feeling it.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Dude, calm down.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think this is all it was supposed to be. An album that was a good party album and something you could really bump in your sound system.

I doubt this was intended to have any emotional meaning whatsoever, it was just something funky, and thats the way we gotta view it.

When I view it as a funky album, I like it more. Even though I still dont like Jigga What/Faint. Those lyrics just..hmm...

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I can't imagine "bumpin' and thumpin'" to Numb/Encore, to be honest. :p

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

:lol: :lol:

Certainly would be a sight to see though.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

:lol: That would be a hard song to do that to. Otherwise, Jigga What/Faint has heavy bass beats and all the others sound great in my car. But yeah, like Derek said, I don't think it's meant to be viewed as serious or anything.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I saw the MTV special on Muchmusic today and I must say that I like the live versions more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.