Come What(ever) May, the aftermath

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by 2xPutt, Jul 14, 2006.

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

sorry if this shouldn't be here, I went as far as 3-4 pages back and couldn't find the stone sour thread, so I figured it would be "necroposting" to find it and bring it back, so I created this new "specific" thread.

just took a listen to the new stone sour album and well......... yeah.... definitely a "new" stone sour, but not exactly the direction I thought this album was going to take. I have to be honest, I am kind of disappointed with this album. With songs like 30/30-150, Reborn, Hell & Consequences, and Come What(ever) May, I was expecting a decently heavy album, but really, those are the "heaviest" songs on the album, except for the song "1st Person" and "Your God". Corey Taylor I believe even has gone on record to say "if you don't like this new stone sour album, fuck you" or something to that extent and I can understand why he said this,he has gotten a lot of criticism or he's going to get a lot of criticism from his "maggots", but on the other hand, this is something relatively new from him and that can only lead to more great music from him in the future. In no way, is this album bad, it's just not as heavy as I thought it was going to be. I'd definitely still rank it with one of my favorite albums of 2006, so far. Go buy the album August 1st, like even I will, and support Corey Taylor and Stone Sour!

what are your opinions on this album?

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I've only listened to a few songs once so far, because it was late last night when I downloaded it and I fell asleep listening to it around 2:30am. Hah. But what I gathered from it was that it was a new direction for the band. There are alot more "softer" songs than the self-titled, which I love because it's my favorite side to Corey. I don't like to use "softer" because it tends to give off the impression that I think the song is weak, but these are still strong messages, just told in a less aggressive way. It's amazing to hear that someone with such a great screaming voice has such a great melodic voice underneath.

I don't have any favorite thus far because I don't know any of the titles yet, :lol:. But it's definitely a very good album from what I've heard. Fans fixated on the self-titled might be a little hesitant to accept a less heavier sound, but by no means is this a huge departure from their original sound. It's merely an evolution of their sound.

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

well put. the more I listen to it, the more I enjoy it. I have to agree 100% about the powerful voice Corey has. you don't hear many people that can scream and sing in the same song. it's great. I like this album and I honestly can't recall anything from the S/T besides Tumult, Get Inside and Bother, so i'm not basing it off of too much. I really enjoy this album, some fans might be disappointed, but I will still pick up this album.

btw, learn those titles! lol, my favorite right now has to be either Hell & Consequences or Your God.

also, Mark, what do you think of them keeping the "new" Through Glass on the album as opposed to the "old"? I like both versions, but I think the older one is more powerful and "raw" if you can use those words to describe it.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

In my opinion, Stone Sour and Slipknot are two COMPLETELY different bands. If you don't like SS, listen to Slipknot then and vice versa.

I didn't like the first album for some reason. I liked a few tracks (Bother got on my nerves :lol:) but that just didn't do it for me. This album on the other hand, through first listen is everything I expected from these guys after I heard the sampler. I was hoping that the rest of the album didn't blow because that would've been a huge disappointment. But it doesn't disappoint and is a very strong album. If your just getting into Stone Sour, and are a fan of mainstream rock, this is the album to get and if you're one of those fuckers who think Corey has sold-out because he went soft, then I agree with what he said..."Fuck you!" Go listen to Slipknot.

Favorite tracks (as of now): Sillyworld, Made of Scars

Mark

"Sillyworld" gives me a Foo Fighters vibe. Anybody else hear that?

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

my friend happened to mention that to me yesterday.i'll giev it a listen soon

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Not really, I can kind of feel it in the verses though :lol:

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Im listening to it now, sounds good.

Mark

I don't mind it. The new version really grew on me. I love both versions.

You are right, though. The old version was more raw and gives off one hell of a vibe.

The new version gets a tad repetitive with the extended bridge with "And it's the stars...", and I don't really like how the acoustic guitar is stripped down for the first two lines of the bridge, but it's all good after you get past those first 10 seconds. Not a bad version at all.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Great CD, I'm really loving the variety of the songs too...its not all heavy with one slow song but it's balanced.

The "new" versions of Through Glass is really good though.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

This album is going to be a favorite of mine for a long time.

Mark

I absolutely love "Zzyzx Rd". It's such a gripping song. I love every single song on this album.

If I was to rank the songs in order of favorites, though;

01. Zzyzx Rd
    02. Sillyworld
    03. Through Glass
    04. Hell & Consequences
    05. Socio
    06. Come What(ever) May
    07. Reborn
    08. 30/30-150
    09. Made of Scars
    10. Your God
    11. Cardiff
    12. 1st Person

a life in ashes

a life in ashes mercury summer

This album is fucking great. Awesome job Corey and the guys.

Stand out tracks - Through Glass,Hell and Consequences,30/30-150,Made of Scars

linkin park 101

linkin park 101 Shhh! If You're Quiet I'll Show You A Dinosaur

I dont have any favourite tracks on this album because they are all bloody good,I took Friskey's advice and downloaded the album because I my self am a fan of abit of mainstream rock so thank you Friskey.

Corey Taylor has a beautiful voice and adds the real x-factor to each of the songs in my opinion.I will definetly be buying this when it is released.

The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I thought it was a real good album. I did like their first album but this one blows it out the water. I can listen to the whole album without skipping a track. I was pissed at first cause Corey was doing this Stone Sour cd instead of more Slipknot but I was shocked and this is an awesome album. This is my personal favorite of the year so far. But I'm about to listen to Phobia right now so that could change.

Hell and Consequences is one hell of a song!

LPzFavoriteOreo6661

LPzFavoriteOreo6661 Member

I wanna listen to it. I LOVE Through the Glass tho, reborn is good as well, & 30/30-150 is too, SIllyworld I wanna hear cuz ppl r talkin about it
    and hell n consequnces i havent heard.
    I wanna hear this album :)

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

When I listen to this album I can't help but keep on asking how in the seven shades of shit this is the same lead vocalist from Slipknot. Corey Taylor is a fucking genious and this is defenatly my favorite album of this year so far. I still think 'Through Glass' is the best tune on the album.

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

I happened to download Phobia on the same day as this unfortunately Phobia has got more attention from me.but i'll give this a listen too

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

...and you know Hellflame means business when he pulls out the "seven shades of shit" comment. :lol: