CONFIRMED: "New Divide" Is In The New Transformers Trailer

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I have not heard the entire song in full, but a good portion of it. Mark may have made it seem that way from his earlier post describing how the song sounds, but in reality we haven't heard the whole song. In fact nobody (not even some within Machine Shop) really have. WB/Paramount are guarding this song with an iron fist. They want nothing of it to get out before the 18th. We we're trying hard to get some sort of exclusive clip for you guys (Chorus, verse whatever) and we were under the belief that something might be coming, so we were preparing ourselves for the exclusive..only to find out it was the trailer everyone's been commenting on and nothing more. We're just as disappointed as you folks, and have been writing management constantly for some sort of exclusive..but I don't think it's going to happen. Sorry.

In fact, to prevent such a leak they're hardly even showcasing bits of it to those closest within the band, and I do not believe that anybody has an mp3 of it cause that's how Qwerty (live) and Remember The Name got out, so they have to be careful. From my understanding, all previews have been done over the phone, and unless someone records from the phone and uploads it...it's unlikely that the entire song will be available before Monday.

So yes we did talk to rob, yes we have heard previews of the song..but no we haven't heard all of it. And neither have many people besides the band themselves.

2. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

3. Derek

4. think i'm a fire engine

think i'm a fire engine Well-Known Member

The industry's very annoying attempts to keep this thing so guarded is just the reason why record sales are going down. They should be attempting to ride the wave of enthusiasm a new LP song will cause rather than quell it.

They're lucky Linkin Park's music is usually worth waiting for.

5. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'm surprised I'm the only one that's done this... from the clip on myspace, here are the lyrics as far as I can make out. There are two places where you can see them, and we only get a clear view of a portion of verse 1. The rest is just guess-work. Crossed out letters are crossed out on the lyrics sheet, and things in parenthesis are guesses. If there's a hyphen, that's the end of what I can understand.

Verse 1:
    I remembered black skies/the lightning all-
    I remembered each flash/as time began to-
    Like a starting sign/that fate had finally fo(und me)-
    In not so many words
    I got what I deserve

Chorus 1:
    you pulled me (lower/closer) / and (I pushed you aside)
    (gave me [direction/protection?] / and i told you goodbye)
    across (that) new divide

Verse 2:
    I imagined it right/ -
    I imagined you there/ -
    and I never (thought since)-
    In not so many words
    I got what I deserve

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. Derek

These lyrics already are better than Minutes To Midnight. Maybe it's cause they didn't have anybody really meddling in the song this time? Just paramount/hans zimmer and I doubt they would've modified the lyrics much.

7. Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

I agree with everyone who says it sounds like What I've Done. Unlike everyone else however, I'm disappointed. If I wanted to listen to What I've Done, I'd put on MTM, not get the band to write it again.

8. Minus

Some guy on LPL has the chorus as 'you pulled the power'. o_O

EDIT:

As it is, I'm stuck between:

you pulled me closer
    you pulled me lower
    you pulled me down.

It's so blurry that you really can't tell.

9. Derek

For those complaining that it sounds too much like What I've Done: This is a song for a movie, I doubt it's hardly going to be a sign of where the band is heading. They have to make the song as radio friendly as possible because it's written for and promoting a movie, and the more play the video gets on TV, the more exposure the movie gets.

I would not be the tiniest bit surprised if the new album sounds nothing like this track. It's happened before (Qwerty VS. what we actually got on MTM).

10. Minus

I know I shouldn't ask and that you're not at liberty to say Derek, but would you like to, since you've listened to portions of the songs, help with the lyrics? :lol:

11. Dedicated

I'm not really disappointed in terms of the style of the song, I'm more disappointed that it sounds ridiculously similar to What I've Done. If they'd have gone off on a complete tangent and played a Backstreet Boys cover I'd be less disappointed. I'm just disappointed that from what we've heard, it sounds like they've literally written the same song again.

12. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I never said I wasn't disappointed myself. I'm not writing it off completely though, yet.

13. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

For Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda, there couldn't have been a more perfect task than co-writing the theme song and contributing to the score of the forthcoming action film "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen."

"Transformers were some of my favorite toys when I was young," Shinoda told Noisecreep. "When we heard about contributing to the first film, I was thrilled. This experience has been even better."

The original 2007 "Transformers" film featured the Linkin Park hit "What I've Done." For the Shia LaBeouf-helmed sequel that opens June 24, Linkin Park specifically penned the song "New Divide." The track is slated for a worldwide radio premiere on May 18 and will be available for purchase on iTunes immediately thereafter. It will also appear on the Warner Bros. Records soundtrack album, which drops June 23.

"We met with (director) Michael Bay," Shinoda said. "He showed us scenes from the new film, and we tried to write something that was both true to the spirit of the movie and true to the spirit of our band in some way.

"Michael is not fond of showing parts of the movie unfinished and out of context," Shinoda continued. "I totally get it; I hate playing anyone our rough songs before each one is done, out of the context of the album. But he knew it would give us the best shot at trying to capture some of the emotions in the movie, so we did it. After we wrote 'New Divide,' we met with (Oscar-winning composer) Hans Zimmer and (composer) Steve Jablonsky, and they asked if we would help incorporate various themes from our song into the film. The musical themes ended up being placed in a lot of important scenes in the film. I'd tell you which scenes, but I don't want to give away the story."

The video, directed by Linkin Park DJ Joe Hahn, will debut around the time of the single's release. Shinoda was coy about the clip's direction.

"You'll have to ask Joe Hahn, who's directing it," he said. "He's planning on using a lot of really interesting cutting-edge visual techniques, blurring the line between our performance and some kind of digital/mechanical reality. I'm not really sure--he's either being secretive about it, or it's way over my head, so he's just skipping the explanation."

"New Divide" is likely the only new music fans will hear from Linkin Park this year as the band--which also includes vocalist Chester Bennington, drummer Rob Bourdon, guitarist Brad Delson and bassist Dave "Phoenix" Farrell--is still working on the follow-up to the six-times-platinum "Minutes to Midnight."

"I would love to have the next Linkin Park album out in the first half of 2010," Shinoda said. "Originally, we wanted it to be later this year, but instead, Chester's solo project, called Dead By Sunrise, will be out in stores this year. His first single should be coming out sometime in the fall or winter.

"The new Linkin Park music is going really well. We've probably got about half the album written. Artistically, I feel like we're shooting really high with these new songs. Whereas the last album was more of an experiment to see how many different new sounds we could make, I think this new album is going to establish a brand new, cutting edge sound for the band. If we do it right, it will be the type of album that makes you say, 'Wow, I've never heard anything like that, but somehow I still recognize it as Linkin Park... and I love it.'"

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  14. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Would you happen to have a link for that for reporting purposes?

15. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'll hold them to that.

16. 2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

17. JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

where did you get that info from 11:55?

[edit]:

no matter :)

18. Dedicated

Didn't they say exactly the same thing about the last album?

19. SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

very true

20. Derek

And the album before that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.