Dead Pixel

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Joeykat, Feb 26, 2008.

Joeykat

Joeykat Forever watching...

My monitor is barely 2 months old yet I have a dead pixel :(

I wanna know how they occur so I can prevent more and also is there a way to get rid of it without getting a new monitor :unsure:

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Try reseting your monitor. Or press the button that makes the screen all shakey with different colors, I forget what it's called. There's not a way to fix a dead pixel really. However there is a way to fix a stuck pixel. I suggest you get a rather damp cloth and turn your monitor off, press with your fingertip where the stuck pixel is, and turn the screen back on before removing your finger. If that doesn't work then try a pixel fixer maybe from http://www.jscreenfix.com/ I haven't tested that so I don't know how well it would work.

Joeykat

Joeykat Forever watching...

Well reseting didn't work.

I'll try the others when I'm more awake and less likely of doing more damage :)

But thanks for the suggestions :)

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

GI was talking about a degaussing button, a lot of CRT monitors have those but a lot of CRT monitors don't suffer from defective pixels. If you have a CRT monitor and one of these buttons do certainly check and give it a try. If you're using another type of monitor you wont have this button.

You may have a stuck pixel, not necessarily a dead pixel. You may even have a hot pixel, if you describe exactly what it looks like it would help.

You can always try one of these sites like http://www.killdeadpixel.com/ although be aware that leaving your screen with a static image for a length of time is likely to cause a burning of that image, as you'll probably know already.

Unfortunately defective pixels are common, you were just unlucky to have suffered from one so soon. There's very little a manufacturer will do about defective pixels unless they've specifically stated otherwise in the manual.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

most of the time a dead pixel means you need a new monitor

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Not necessarily.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

Not at all, they are completely normal. Granted, they usually happen after you've had it for a long while, but they don't mean you need a new one. Though, alright you have said "most" of the time so i'll give you that then :p

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Dead pixel says nothing about the overall quality of the monitor. Most companies have policies about returns on monitors. From what I remember Dell's was 6 dead pixels scattered all over the screen or 4 in the same area.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

My LCD monitor, the one I'm using right now, had a dead pixel months and months ago and it corrected itself. I couldn't tell you why.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Stuck pixel that unstuck itself eventually, perhaps?