did linkin park help keep metal alive ?!

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by zazofazo, Jul 24, 2016.

zazofazo

zazofazo Well-Known Member

So there's click-bait recently on nearly every rock outlet that linkin park's chester bennington claimed that linkin park helped keep metal alive with the release of hybrid theory .
    Now i know that linkin park isn't metal at all , i kinda wonder if linkin park actually did that by bridging the gap between people and metal in general .

In my case the first ever "rock" band i listened to was linkin park then i started listening to heavier bands so they kinda introduced me to heavier music so they "supposedly " may have a point if they actually said that .

But i actually wanna know what all of you think so maybe i can get reasonable explanation besides "linkin park sucks ,they are not metal waaaaa" comments .

Peace..

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Read from bottom to top
    [​IMG]
    I agree with Mike.

Captain-EO, zazofazo and Deliveranze like this.
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

^^^^^
    Pretty much agree with above. Linkin Park didn't literally "keep metal alive" but they did make heavier music much more accessible to the mainstream, which isn't a bad thing. Alot of people who got into heavy music, in general, started off listening to Hybrid Theory and Meteora from personal experience. I went in the opposite direction on a personal note. Linkin Park was my first gateway into hip hop and got me into the genre. But as Mike said, where pop was dominating radio waves, Hybrid Theory was a huge album that blended heavy rock with pop accessibility.

Captain-EO and zazofazo like this.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Makes sense, really, but IDK why it had to be said now and not two years ago

Captain-EO and Deliveranze like this.
    zazofazo

Maybe as an attempt to stay relevant since no one really is talking about linkin park anymore but thanks to chester's choice of words , linkin park is now the hot topic within metal community and not in good way

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Thanks to Chester?

Thank those damned rock news websites who are constantly putting twists on his words...

zazofazo

Maybe If he was a little bit careful with his words he wouldn't be the one to blame , but since i checked the article and found that chester actually said that linkin park helped keep metal alive at some point based on warped tour experience ,
    I wouldn't blame the rock news websites solely because they can't put an article based on something that hasn't been said and you can check the article yourself
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/linkin-park-chester-bennington-we-kept-metal-alive/

minuteforce

I agree that it was a bad choice of words on Chester's part, assuming he wasn't misquoted. And I can understand why it would be a big deal to certain crowds, even if it isn't to me.

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Fucking Blabbermouth?

Shit, the editors surely obsessed to comments about toilet flushing....fucking toilet fetishes...
    Did they come from Reddit /roastme kinda shit or what?

Deliveranze likes this.
    Deliveranze

Personally, whatever the reaction is to those words, it really doesn't matter. The hardcore metal community generally hates Linkin Park, or any big rock band for that matter, and no matter what, the article alone is where the consensus of people's opinions will lie. I guarantee most shitting on LP for the statement probably won't research it any further and will probably say "LP sux, always did" and that's as far as they'll go. Remember the Sublime incident in 2014? Even after it was known the band didn't call the police, anyone who didn't like LP started to bash them for it. Most of them weren't Sublime w/ Rome fans but just needed a reason to say "Fuck LP. They aren't real music like *insert super underground artists here*!" No one will likely remember this in a month anyway.

zazofazo

LOL ! that's really not the point ..
    Many huge rock/metal websites have shared the same article including metal hammer , fucking loudwire " which by the way gave the hunting party a 4 out of 5 stars " and metal injection

Deliveranze likes this.
    zazofazo

I agree but LP seems to be the band that gets the most hate out of all big rock bands . I mean it's funny that particularly in this article, people keep mentioning slipknot as a band that's bigger and better than lp while in reality lp's first 3 albums have sold more than their entire discography (yes i'm quite sure about that )

Deliveranze likes this.
    Deliveranze

That is true. But one thing is Slipknot is much more closer to a metal band than LP is. You're also likely right they sold more than Slipknot because they have way more crossover appeal. Linkin Park have done pop, rock, metal, hip hop, reggae, electronica, etc., so hard metal websites won't be very positively receptive to a band like that. I've noticed the "fake metal" label gets thrown alot at them, but LP wasn't, like we all know, a metal band. They were a band that had metal as an influence, but they have much more different styles they tackled and were influenced by. Slipknot ain't gonna attract alot of people who don't like hard rock. LP on the other hand, have much more to offer to people who like a variety of different genres or styles. I believe that's probably why.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    zazofazo likes this.
    minuteforce

They've been one of the most successful bands since the start of the century and they made nu-metal music, it's really that simple.

Iopia, Captain-EO and zazofazo like this.
    Deliveranze

Yep. That is the basic reason they are hated. Popular as hell and made songs in a music genre that isn't looked to fondly upon.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

LP always had huge pop crossover appeal too, so that contributes to their success.

I don't think it's a bad thing to have, personally

Deliveranze and Captain-EO like this.
    Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

You know what I say about all these people who aren't happy about Chester's comment?

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

Deliveranze likes this.
    Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

"These people love to put a twist to your words to infer that you said something fucking absurd"

Linkin Park was basically a gateway to hard rock/metal. Chester said nothing wrong, Hybrid Theory/Meteora were worldwide hits for a reason. They took elements of metal and hard rock, infused it with more marketable genres like pop and hip-hop, and made it into an easily marketable, radio friendly album. No other band has been able to achieve that in such a manner. Fan or not, they've made an unquestionable impact on mainstream rock.

I've never been interested in metal and an only small interest in hard rock, yet they still became my favorite band because of how accessible and versatile they are.

Linkin Park has always been shitted on for being marketed as a metal band when they never truly were, they are a HYBRID of many different genres and that's why they've caught the attention of so many. They weren't the first or last band to do this, but they're one of the few that's managed to maintain some form of relevancy long afterwards by constantly evolving their sound.

zazofazo likes this.
    Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

:lol: I really wanted to post that before, turns out I even had it saved in a draft from before
    "that's why I only do e-mail responses to print interviews/because these people ought to put a twist on your words/to infer/that you said something fucking absurd"

Look, these sites just look for clickbait and the tiniest little comment is apparently considered usable content. This is why sites like this one (LPA) exists, we know what's newsworthy or not, and that's why you only get the most relevant and fresh news from LPA *ends shameless plug for a website that you're already on*

zazofazo and Deliveranze like this.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

People need to actually read the article. While the headline is indeed absurd clickbait, the end of the article has a lengthy quote from Chester explaining how they never saw themselves as a metal band, but rather combined it with electronic, pop, and hip-hop.