Do you believe in God/are you religious?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Dean, Mar 10, 2011.

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

trololol

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

This is a very confusing paragraph haha.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

It seems that on a daily basis I go back and forth with this issue.

I guess if people need to use religion to have a purpose in life and/or guidelines to live their lives, then so be it. But some of us can live life happily without it. The general purpose of Religion is great, but like someone said earlier, there are too many idiots that take it too far. Religion has also caused countless wars that were fought for silly purposes.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Well wouldn't we love to live in world where there is no violence? Sadly, whether people like it nor not religion will always exist because of the cultural influence it has on a sociological aspect. I don't like the fact that religion causes so many conflicts, but also religion has a positive side. Not everyone is an extremist in their religion and not all religions have their extremists. I am a Catholic by birth, even though I don't follow the religion fully I do believe there is an entity above, just not one.

I think people tend to come along with the subject of religion saying "fuck that shit" with evidence only based on the negative side of it. But that be said about a lot of other things, everything has its negative side but also a positive side. And people tend to exaggerate on the negatives of religion.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Yeah, I definitely agree that Religion has good things going for it. It helps motivate people to live their lives in a good way.

Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider Who-ligan

lol sorry.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Is the current pope an extremist? Because according to him homosexuality and contraception are sins, but he also seems to think that actually being a sex offender is a-okay if you're part of the clergy. In that case it's bullshit that goes right to the top of one of the biggest denominations of one of the biggest religions, and that's just in the present day.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider Who-ligan

The Catholic Church believes that homosexuality and contraception are sins. Although, I am Catholic I don't believe this. But, no, the pope isn't an extremeist. And did he ever say that sex offenders are ok? The Catholic church does not condone that even though it happens a lot.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

If the boys they are playing with are under 18 it's not gay.

Dean

He hasn't actually said "sex offenders are ok", no, but the guy's been covering up a lot of stuff along those lines, so there's that. It goes back a long way in that church though.

And I just want to make it 100% clear that I'm not trying to slate all of religion here. I'm just trying to make the point that not every shit thing done in the name of religion can just be put down to extremists.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    AnTeC

AnTeC Well-Known Member

Can u list the reference?

Nvm I found it
    Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate,
    Genesis 7:2

I think it speaks for itself, maybe u heard it wrong from someone who told you?

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Wait, I don't really want to get into this debate but how does one differentiate between a "clean" and "unclean" animal?

Dean

It's just all this arbitrary stuff. Animals that are "unclean" are the ones that aren't kosher for the people that follow those rules, I think.

AnTeC

AnTeC Well-Known Member

Read Leviticus chapter 11 if u would like. It answers your question

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

her body is a temple
    i don't give a fuck
    i'm athiest

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

I am Jewish but I've never felt all that religious. I don't mind my Jewish faith though because I enjoy learning about it, I think it's an interesting religion and all. But I've always felt more agnostic. I have a wait-and-see kind of attitude. I think it's because my family has mixed religions, my Dad is Jewish and my Mom is Greek Orthodox Christian (they converted me if anyone was wondering why I didn't take my mothers religion like you're supposed to) and we've always been very open to learning about other religions and the possibilities that are out there, all the while celebrating each of my parents beliefs during holidays and what not.

I don't believe nor disbelieve if God is real. It's definitely a possibility to me.. but I know there are so many more, and ones that also sound more convincing to me than God does.

BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

I Think People should move on from Religion, All it does is fill in Gaps with "magical" gods. And People can have morals (And by Morals, I don't mean blame everything that you don't agree with, on the Devil) And not believe in God or Religion.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Honestly was it wrong with faith and beliefs?

It's not dangerous.

I don't hurt anyone by being a Christian nor do I hurt myself.

What the real danger would be is telling people they aren't allowed to believe in anything and that religion is outlawed.

BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

Never said it should be outlawed, I think people should still be able to do it, But I think more people need to see the light.

And I know not all Christians are dangerous or anything, Just the extreme ones.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Who decides this crap? Why is it relevant today?

In an age where we know how, when and why bacteria grows on meat and how to cook it to the correct temperature so it is safe to eat, why are the laws in some 5,000 year old book written by men who knew nothing about food safety relevant at all in today's society? A pig is considered dirty by ancient man so we're not supposed to eat them, but cows are clean? Last time I checked, cows don't bathe, brush their teeth 2 times a day or wipe their ass after taking a shit. I wouldn't eat any animal unless it's properly been cleaned and cooked, and since we know how to clean and cook a pig, then I say, bring on the bacon!