Do you believe in god?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by esaul17, Aug 14, 2005.

?

Do you believe in god?

1. Yes, one of an established religion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but just the idea of a God

33.3%
  3. No

66.7%
    Link04

Link04 Ambient

More of the latter, but I grew up a Presbyterian and was "schooled" as one for 14+ years of my life.

And you can argue what a Christian should or shouldn't do, but that doesn't change the fact that the latter takes place. I was replying specifically to the one situation brought up by the other member. You can debate with her if you wish upon the finer points of whatever brand of Christianity you see as right. At the end of the day, it will most likely come down to "that's just what I believe." You're allowed to do that with religion. You can escape any sort of fallacy by claiming it your individual belief. Your own version of Christianity that suits you. Many do this. You may not see it in the right, but it takes place. You could bring up verses to counter anything anyone thought that contradicted your own belief, but the truth is, they could bring up a verse from Leviticus asking why you don't sell your daughter into slavery, or some other irrelevant or trite phrase from the mass of text. That's ultimately what it boils down to. Your "Christianity" is not the exact same as everyone elses "Christianity." You may agree on key cornerstones of the faith, but when it gets down to the most minute particulars, people tend to pick out what they want to hear from scripture, and what they want to hear from their pastor, and apply it to their lives to suit themselves. You are no different. Of course, what you see as your belief is right. You obviously wouldn't believe it if it were wrong in your mind (save if you were involved in some Oceaniac culture). The same can be applied to everyone else.

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

i am an athiest as well.

ive never really believed in god at all actually. even though my dad brought up my brother and i with religion.

my parents were watching this movie and they kept calling people an infidel. my mom asked my dad why they keep saying that. and my dad said an infidel was someone who doesnt believe in god. so she called me an infidel :lol:

The Outsider

The Outsider Billy Corgan = God

simply..hell no..
    hes out to kill us...he let the devil through heaven to get to earth...

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

How the hell can the devil go through heaven when he's right underneath us, and stayed there for the last kazillion years? And we're doing the evil things. Plane crashes down? Our fault. Why? I dont know, im not a pilot.

I dont believe in God, but I do believe that there is something.

the_king_of_all

the_king_of_all LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

i'm just going to say no. i used to be religious. my family still is and i don't know why i stopped. i just one day thought 'oh. actualy...' and just... stopped.

Ant

Ant Ambient

More of the latter, but I grew up a Presbyterian and was "schooled" as one for 14+ years of my life.

And you can argue what a Christian should or shouldn't do, but that doesn't change the fact that the latter takes place. I was replying specifically to the one situation brought up by the other member. You can debate with her if you wish upon the finer points of whatever brand of Christianity you see as right. At the end of the day, it will most likely come down to "that's just what I believe." You're allowed to do that with religion. You can escape any sort of fallacy by claiming it your individual belief. Your own version of Christianity that suits you. Many do this. You may not see it in the right, but it takes place. You could bring up verses to counter anything anyone thought that contradicted your own belief, but the truth is, they could bring up a verse from Leviticus asking why you don't sell your daughter into slavery, or some other irrelevant or trite phrase from the mass of text. That's ultimately what it boils down to. Your "Christianity" is not the exact same as everyone elses "Christianity." You may agree on key cornerstones of the faith, but when it gets down to the most minute particulars, people tend to pick out what they want to hear from scripture, and what they want to hear from their pastor, and apply it to their lives to suit themselves. You are no different. Of course, what you see as your belief is right. You obviously wouldn't believe it if it were wrong in your mind (save if you were involved in some Oceaniac culture). The same can be applied to everyone else. [/b][/quote]
    If you can give me one form of Christianity that prays to have their problems solved, and not for strength, forgiveness or help, I will take back what I said. Unless, of course, a new form of Christianity has been formed that I do not know about :) And, perhaps there are religions that use prayer to answer their problems, but I've honestly never heard of such a religion. I wouldn't be surprised if there was one or two, but I've never heard of them.

And, you're right -- I can say morally what a Christian should or shouldn't do, and what they should or shouldn't do in accordance to the Bible. And, yes, people praying for their problems to be solved does take place -- but how does that have anything to do with the matter at hand? Re-read what you posted when I quoted you (the little story about the grandfathers)... see what I'm saying? A person can't say God didn't answer their prayers -- you're not supposed to pray for "answers." That's all I'm saying.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Individuals do, that's all I was trying to say. Even if, like you said, they're not supposed to, it still happens.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

There are only three reasons that keep me from believing in a singular God.

The first reason is that God always gets all of the praise for all of the "miraculous" things that happen in the world, such as a birth or someone's survival of a car accident, but God never gets any of the blame for any of the bad things that happen in the world, such as a death or someone's death in a car accident. Where's God's initiative to behave when He never gets blamed for anything? If you ask me, God doesn't "do" anything for us, if he exists. He simply sits there and watches us.

The second reason is that God's supposed to teach acceptance, and to teach everyone to love one another. If that's the case, why does He feel that homosexuals are sinners? Because they're "wasting the seed of life"? Okay. If that's the case, everyone who can't have children because they're sterile are sinning because they can't utilize the seed of life. Of course, God won't get blamed for their barren landscapes. No, He'll get praised and they'll say that it's all a part of His master plan for them. All right. So, you're telling me that He's damned you by causing you to not be able to utilize the seed of life, and that's His master plan for you? Okay. I guess that makes sense, somehow. Homosexuality isn't a choice, but everyone who believes in God and believes in the Bible will tell you that it is a choice and that all of the scientific studies done on it are fake. I would know - I've argued with many a person about that in my school.

The third and final reason is that...

All right. I had a third reason, but I've lost it. When I can remember what it is, I'll post it here.

Keep in mind, though, that I don't have a problem with anyone who believes in religion because everyone's entitled to whatever they want to do. That's how life works, isn't it? I just have a problem with people reading too far into things, and taking the Bible and God like they're the only true things in the world. In my opinion, religion causes close-mindedness. Religious folks are, usually, the kind of people who say that science is the devil - well, the devout religious folks, anyway.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Will. Bear my children. Now.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Good arguments, but FYI, not all forms of Christianity believe being homosexual is a sin. And I don't really think anyone can clearly say it is or isn't a choice or is or isn't an inclination or natural physical attraction for some people or not... there really isn't enough scientific data to show either way at this point with a fair amount of certainty.

Lastly, the Bible has been altered numerous times, and one of the most heated discussions about alterations to the Bible are over the homosexual debate. A number of people believe King James edited the Bible to state that homosexuality is evil and the like. Even still a lot of forms of Christianity (I would say most, but I can't say for sure) do not descriminate against homosexuals. The reason there's even a debate is because what the Bible says about homosexuals isn't exactly case-in-point -- it's very vague and open to interpritation.

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

I've never agreed more with someone during a debate than I do now with Ant. I think that I've fully supported everything he(?)'s said here so far.

I know I said I wouldn't post anymore in the topic but I felt the need to say the following:

I believe in God, and I have strong faith. That doesn't mean I like everything that the bible has to say or that I follow everything that my particular church says. On issues such as homosexuality I think it's an outrage that it's considered to be a sin. God gave them free will and if they chose to love someone of the same sex then I say go right on ahead. I don't see how that's a sin. But apparently the church does. *shrugs* whatever.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Is the 3rd reason why would god allow us to have such embarassing brain farts? :lol:

But Will summed up my beliefs very well and I agree 100%

Ant

Ant Ambient

And, for the record (just so no one thinks I'm trying to belittle them or anything): I'm not making fun of any of those with agnostic or atheist beliefs. That's your right 100%. Obviously I don't agree with you, but I still respect your opinions. Just sharing my thoughts conversely at times.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I'll just say "no" and be done with it because debating over religion only goes in circles with neither side willing to concede.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Hell, for all we know, it could be both, depending on the individual. I've known girls that have said they just feel wrong in there bodies. They feel naturally attracted to their sex, just as if it were the way they were meant to be. They usually have ended up getting sex changes, it's a shame, they describe it as if they're literally trapped inside the wrong body.

I have no personal encounters of anyone who's chosen to be homosexual, if it is a choice, but just thought I'd expand on the subject.

The Outsider

The Outsider Billy Corgan = God

How the hell can the devil go through heaven when he's right underneath us, and stayed there for the last kazillion years? And we're doing the evil things. Plane crashes down? Our fault. Why? I dont know, im not a pilot.

I dont believe in God, but I do believe that there is something. [/b][/quote]
    cos he hates us so he made a deal with the devil !
    hes out to kill us !!

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

There we go. That was the other point to my homosexuality argument, but I forgot what to call it, so I didn't bother trying to explain it. :lol:

I can't remember what my third argument was, still. I don't even think I ever actually had a third argument. :lol:

@Ant:
    The whole homosexuality thing is, in essence, a big waste of time when it all comes down to it. If you ask me, it's 50% choice and 50% uncontrollable. That's how I see it, anyway. I know that not all forms find it sinning, but most Christians that I talk to feel that way. I don't get it at all. God did give us the free will to choose, so why call it sinning? You're not killing anyone by banging a dude. Except maybe your mother. :lol:

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

cos he hates us so he made a deal with the devil !
    hes out to kill us !! [/b][/quote]
    No. We're out to kill ourselfs.

Well, you said you dont believe in God. And then you say that he made a deal with the devil. So you DO believe in him.

Dart

Dart Well-Known Member

no

John.

John. i am corruption LPA Super Member

I can't really say I believe in God, but I think there at least has to be something...?