Do you believe in god?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by esaul17, Aug 14, 2005.

?

Do you believe in god?

1. Yes, one of an established religion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but just the idea of a God

33.3%
  3. No

66.7%
  1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

That really isn't that odd. I have the same kind of belief system. I will read or learn about religions, and if the idea seems to fit, I believe it. So I have my own sort of dissected and rearranged opinion of things.

I think the idea of 'your own religion' should have a name. Anyone up to name it?

In a sense, everyone is right. Even those who argue amongst themselves here.

But in a sense, we're all wrong as well.

The truth is greater than the words we use to describe it. As our words are less than truths, they are essentially lies.

2. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

well, though i have good reason to believe in God, there are undoubtably questions i must ask; if God has no beginning, and has thus existed for all that time, what the hell was he doing in that time? and how the hell did it take him seven days when he finally decided to create everything?

that, and to me, God doesn't seem to be affecting the world as much as he seemed to in the Bible. seeing as when we read it, we see that God is in every page, telling people what to do, teaching people, and so on ... and thus you'd think that in today's world (that is just as bad as it was then) God would try and bring about a similar effect in terms of trying to prevent sin.

yes, i believe in god, but i like to be sure and ask every question necessary to solidify my beliefs.

3. Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

The reason I say no to God, or Gods in general is because I believe the scientific methods.

But also, note the fact that nearly every war the world has ever heard of or seen has been religion based. So personally, I think religions are the stupidest ideas ever. A bunch of fictional stories comprised in different books such as the Bible.

Imagine how much happy the world would be had their been no religions. Hitler never would have had a beef with the Jews, because there wouldn't have been any Jews. The middle east wouldn't be at war. But Bush, I can't really comment on because his war could be for any possible reason.

Anyone interested in reading an article on Evolution and the despute over whether it was God or scientific or both should read the article in the August 15th, 2005 copy of TIME magazine.

4. Geki

Geki >.

N.O.

5. Detri

Detri Well-Known Member

Hitler was just pissed because he didn't get accepted into art school

6. Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yes.

7. Maëlle

Maëlle I've seen it all

Hitler was just pissed because he didn't get accepted into art school[/b][/quote]
    Sorry honey but you're kind of wrong there. Sure, Hitler was frustrated by the whole art school issue, but he wasn't only motivated by that.

Everybody knows Darwin and his theory but most don't know the other Darwin, his cousin. Basically, this man changed the famous Darwin's theory saying that only strong races can survive to this world.
    Inspired by this theory, Hitler wrote Mein Kempf (Or however you spell it) and declared 'war' to Jews.

As to why he had so much against Jews, I'm not sure. I think it was the fear of strangers/difference who, at the base, was behind his hatred.

Sorry, I'm just a huge WWII History freak :blush:

8. Detri

Detri Well-Known Member

Sorry honey but you're kind of wrong there. Sure, Hitler was frustrated by the whole art school issue, but he wasn't only motivated by that.

Everybody knows Darwin and his theory but most don't know the other Darwin, his cousin. Basically, this man changed the famous Darwin's theory saying that only strong races can survive to this world.
    Inspired by this theory, Hitler wrote Mein Kempf (Or however you spell it) and declared 'war' to Jews.

As to why he had so much against Jews, I'm not sure. I think it was the fear of strangers/difference who, at the base, was behind his hatred.

Sorry, I'm just a huge WWII History freak :blush: [/b][/quote]
    I believe it set him off, though - sure he had the whole 'blonde hair blue eyes only' theory going on, but he really didn't have that much of an emotional problem until he got declined.

Think about it, if he had gone to art school, we might be talking about the great artist, Adolf Hitler, rather than the madman murderer.

9. Link04

Link04 Ambient

I disagree. I think far more wars have been over the battle of resources. Religion may be a tool of propaganda, as we've all seen in the war on terror, but that does not mean that the war itself is religious.

And the middle east is not at war with us because of religion. Terrorism is the backlash of economically oppressed people frustrated with American Imperialism, and further over-capitalised so that things like advanced weapons are easily available (another thing the US has done). They happen to be of a different creed than the majority of Americans, and they do not like our religion, but this war is not religious in premise.

But other than that, great points, and I largely agree. Religion is another divider.

10. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I disagree. I think far more wars have been over the battle of resources. Religion may be a tool of propaganda, as we've all seen in the war on terror, but that does not mean that the war itself is religious.

And the middle east is not at war with us because of religion. Terrorism is the backlash of economically oppressed people frustrated with American Imperialism, and further over-capitalised so that things like advanced weapons are easily available (another thing the US has done). They happen to be of a different creed than the majority of Americans, and they do not like our religion, but this war is not religious in premise.

But other than that, great points, and I largely agree. Religion is another divider. [/b][/quote]
    Well, the Palestinians and Israelis conflict is obviously religion-based.

But you're right. When it comes to the Al Qaeda Jihad, it's motivated by hatred for Americans, yet they give it a reason by using religion as a reason in the means of propaghanda. And vice versa for Bush using God to push his agenda.

11. Atsuzen

Atsuzen Super Member LPA Super Member

Yeah, I do believe in God.

12. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Yes. [/b][/quote]
    Yay! Someone who has the same belief system as me! :lol:

13. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

I thought it was something else? I thought that the UK gave the Isrealis land from Palestinia, but they werent to happy with that.

Or something like that. I need to pay attention when my teacher explains something.

14. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Well, the Palestinians and Israelis conflict is obviously religion-based.

But you're right. When it comes to the Al Qaeda Jihad, it's motivated by hatred for Americans, yet they give it a reason by using religion as a reason in the means of propaghanda. And vice versa for Bush using God to push his agenda. [/b][/quote]
    I agree 100%

Its an increadibly cruel tactic they use though because it leads to racism and major propaganda against the Arab religion which is really fucked up.

15. CrazyBlueFairy

CrazyBlueFairy Active Member

I concider myself an Atheist....but hey thats me.....too much shit goin on to believe anything now adays

16. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I thought it was something else? I thought that the UK gave the Isrealis land from Palestinia, but they werent to happy with that.

Or something like that. I need to pay attention when my teacher explains something. [/b][/quote]
    The land they're fighting over is considered holy land, from what I gather. It's mostly based on religion.

17. Link04

Link04 Ambient

The land they're fighting over is considered holy land, from what I gather. It's mostly based on religion. [/b][/quote]
    That's an additional conflict, but the core issue at the time was political sovereignty. Like he said, the UK and US gave Israel its own bit of land and claimed it a nation, and of course, other regional countries had an issue with this.

18. iamrighthereandnow

iamrighthereandnow Well-Known Member

I agree 100%

Its an increadibly cruel tactic they use though because it leads to racism and major propaganda against the Arab religion which is really fucked up. [/b][/quote]
    firstly, jews are not jews just because they believe in judaism, but also its an ethnic group. hitler didn't hate them for their religion but for their ethnicity. i also believe there's more to that war then we are told, judging by the vast investments from the west going into nazi war pocket, lets not forget grandad's Bush part in that.

secondly, Al Queda is CIA trained and armed. whatever Al Queda does doesn't serve the Arabs, it serves the american government to push Patriot Acts 1 and 2 (yes, second even more scarier then the first had been passed) and futher advancement on goal of police state and them being able to proclaim martial law, for which there will be more tragedy by more attacks. no religion again. simply foul game. what did those attacks brought for arabs? war in afganistan, war in iraq and now cheney is planning for iran. so don't believe in fairy tales of jihad and some vengeful arabs, they don't work for arabs, they work for those whom it profits. just look who benefits from all that.

do i believe in God? i think one has to remain open minded, but use ones critical thinking and not loose oneself in religions, but if one wants to find God, he or she should first seek who they are before they start seeking who is God. if you don't know who you are, you won't know who God is.

19. cam_KARMA

cam_KARMA Well-Known Member

so serious... :mellow:

anywayz..ya me..I do believe in god....whatever reasons i have....but I respect your opinion( whoever you are) if you dont believe on him...we have different opinions and minds.......... :rolleyes:

all I want to stress out is...RELIGION IS NOT IMPORTANT whats important is YOUR FAITH and the things that you do here on earth it should be good to all humanity- i think that matters...

For me..Jesus christ, allah, buddha...they are juzt the same..they teach the same things...and they have all good intentions...for humantiy..

well it really depends on you....juzt be sure you making the helping this world to be beautiful and peaceful... :innocent: :innocent:

right?

20. Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

Just the idea of god.