Do You Think Linkin Park Will Last?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Gloomy Mushroom, Feb 22, 2011.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

The last 4 tracks on Out Of Ashes are way better than anything Fort Minor did imo. The rest of the album is just meh, though. The only reason Fort Minor did better is because there were actually big names working with Mike on it, which made it more appealing to the masses. And because it was back when people actually bought CDs. As far as either group bringing something new to the table, well, neither of them did.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Fire, Into You, and Too Late were pretty good, but I hated the rest of Out of Ashes. So overall I would say it is definitely worse than Fort Minor.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

As big names go on The Rising Tied, there's Jay-Z who executive produced it, but he didn't really make an obvious contribution to the music itself besides talking over the intro and he was credited using his real name.
    Aside from that there's John Legend and Common and maybe Black Thought, who isn't really a big name in the mainstream but would be a pull for fans of the genre. Possibly Jonah Matranga as well, but I doubt it was marketed as much to people who like the sort of music he usually makes but aren't already fans of hip-hop. Not to mention the album's big hit was Where'd You Go which didn't have any of the big names on it.
    It didn't seem to get marketed as Mike from Linkin Park's album as much either, whereas there were definitely ads for Out Of Ashes that made a point of how it was Chester from Linkin Park's new band.

Besides that it was a guest heavy album and a lot of the best moments are down to them, but Mike's own contribution underpins it and is usually at least solid in my opinion. It's not groundbreaking but that doesn't matter to me so much as it just being good at whatever it tries to do, and I thought it generally was. On Out Of Ashes, I think there were a couple of songs I really liked and the rest didn't even come close to living up to them.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

I love Fire and Too Late with My Suffering from DBS. But it seems like those songs are the most unpopular. I thought i was the only one who dug those songs.

jessiexo

jessiexo Well-Known Member

But did you consider when they were released?

FM was released when LP were still very 'in' the music scene, therefore, it had heavier promotion and relevancy to MTV etc.

DBS was released a LONG time after MtM... when they lost a lot of fans and were fading out of the music scene (before ATS came along).

Personally... I thought they were about equal in quality.. one just had better luck with timing and promotion. Hip Hop is also more readily received by the media.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

But NOT EVEN MOST DIEHARD LP FANS supported DBS. And you can't say that was because it wasn't promotioned, since they are fans they were aware of the album coming out. Hell, if you look at this very thread you can see most users think "meh" when they think of DBS.

jessiexo

jessiexo Well-Known Member

Meh

Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider Who-ligan

I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.
    And I agree with Blackout.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Eight years ago I realized that rock bands didn't stay relevant for very long. This was an unpleasant thought when taking LP into account, so I didn't think about it too much. On some lazy Tuesday afternoon in 2010 I realized that LP long surpassed the expectations I was having on their existence. So I think the question will be more like "Will LP continue to last" because they've already done a crapton of Lasting on their own.

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

I think if LP wants to continue staying in the spotlight instead of coming out the shadows every 3-4 years, they need to release radio singles a couple times a year. They need to release a what ive done or New Divide a few times a year. I think we all know if LP wants to be heard on the radio they could just go in and come out with a few hits a couple times a year

Rana LP Luvr

Rana LP Luvr 'Fly me up on a silver wing'

I agree with that

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Rush and Jethro Tull have been around for over 40 years and Rolling Stones for something like 50. I think they'll last.

Rana LP Luvr

Rana LP Luvr 'Fly me up on a silver wing'

Well, at some times ..some Musicians quit ...
    It's not like they will sing till they die...
    But LinkinPark i think they work good...And they 2 of them had project side and people thought they split up..while that wasn't true..
    They're not gonna stop cause they have some stops...
    And i hope they could last...

If Mike quits, the band's over.

Enough said.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I'm don't feel guilty one bit about being a Linkin Park fan.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

They really don't.

Yes, if they wanted to they could knock out a few WIDs in a couple weeks but that would be pretty meh. Hopefully they continue down a more experimental path & push for more substance.

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

So promotion and album sales = success?

People aren't going to just go out and buy an album and LOVE it based on promotion. You have to promote a GOOD product. Perhaps the record company knew promotion wouldn't help DBS? And DBS was playing in the middle of sets during that summer LP tour, weren't they? That's pretty good promotion, but the album still flopped. Why? Nobody liked what they heard. Plus, they had no "great" song like Where'd You Go that would actually appeal to people along many spectrums. They probably just banked on all of the LP fans to go out and blindly buy the album because it has Chester on it. Luckily, people aren't that dumb.

It's pretty clear that Mike Shinoda is the ingredient that makes Linkin Park what they are. If he was able to sing like Chester, they'd be just as successful, imo.

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

One album will change this. Beats me if its the next LP album.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Key, perhaps, but not as successful.

As I sad in an earlier post, or maybe it was another thread, Brad does a lot of engineering work (at least on their later stuff) and I'm pretty sure Joe had a lot to do with the HTEP and HT. Oh and the awesome music videos? The asian dude on the turntables!

Linkin Park is a twisted mix of awesome. Can't say much about Rob and Phi but I'm sure there are some more hardcore LP nerds on here that can.

20. Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I totally see where your going. But DBS still could of had better promotion. And even if i do agree that Mike is a better song writer than Chester, chaz has alot more marketability. He's the front man. The one everyone recognizes... Maybe its different in the US, but from where I'm from, Chester's the one everyone knows the name of. Mike is just "the other singer".

And as far as the quality of the music was concerned, what was everyone expecting? OoA It has everything you want to hear from Chester: Ballads, screaming, soft stuff, angsty stuff, experimental... etc, So what exactly did everyone want to hear? GreyDaze? HT Part3? But I was satisfied with DBS even if it did have a its faults. But hey that's just my opinion, but I do think it could of deserved a little bit more success than it did.