Do you think LP should play the superbowl

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by iNuBBiN, Aug 27, 2011.

iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

So everyone bitched about the Blackeye pees performance last year about how horrible they sounded, and my friends are complaining that there hasent been a good performance in recent years. Do you think LP would be a good performance for the half time in the superbowl, if so what song should the play

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

It'd be good for them if they played, but they don't really have a casual pump-me-up song. Bleed It Out is probably as close as they come to that, but I think their live version of that is horrid. Serious bands can't really perform at events like.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Don't really care where they play as long as I get to see it...

Or I'm able to be there :lol:

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

What's the super bowl? :huh:

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

http://tinyurl.com/y97eooq

As for Linkin Park playing at the Super Bowl, it would be cool, but for some reason I don't really see that happening.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Personally, I think this would be fucking awesome. And I'm not sure why it wouldn't be realistic. Linkin Park has the most Facebook fans out of any band after all. They have the popularity. They especially would attract a large international audience.

A setlist that I think would work:

Papercut
    Faint
    What I've Done
    Waiting for the End
    In the End
    (some kind of hip hop medley)
    Bleed it Out (APFMH bridge)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
    TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

My favorite quote about Super Bowl from The Simpsons: "The road to Super Bowl is long and pointless...I mean, when you think about it." :awesome: jk lol etc

WTCFM has that kind of energy but I doubt that they would play it 'cause all the "ketchup trying motherf***ers"...

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Ben, they probably would play four super mainstream songs and possibly one older song. After all, most of the people watching the Superbowl and probably more mainstream based.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

They aren't mainstream enough to be on the Superbowl. Halftime performances are kept for artists like Lady Gaga, Bieber etc or others that are hot 100 staples. LP hasn't really been that high on the charts for a few years.

Benjamin

Really? I think Linkin Park is definitely mainstream enough for the Super Bowl. No one will convince me otherwise.

Derek

Perhaps this will then...
    Lady Gaga: http://www.billboard.com/artist/lad...03999#/artist/lady-gaga/chart-history/1003999 (All songs in the top 10)
    Katy Perry: http://www.billboard.com/artist/kat...58673#/artist/katy-perry/chart-history/958673 (5 number ones from the same album)
    Linkin Park: http://www.billboard.com/artist/lin...1805#/artist/linkin-park/chart-history/411805 (no number 1 singles in the last 7-8 years)

I'm not trying to diss LP here, I want to see them succeed, but they haven't been Katy Perry/Black Eyed Peas/Lady Gaga level in a long time. They're certainly one of the biggest rock bands around at the moment, but the super bowl will go for a top 10 artist before they go for a band that hasn't had a number one single in a little while.

Benjamin

But half of the bands/artists that do the super bowl are way past their prime (Bruce Springsteen, The Who, etc.). To me it doesn't matter how popular they are this second.

Derek

Yeah but they are also legendary artists who inspired a whole generation of musicians, and whose music is still timeless more than 30-40 years after their prime. Linkin Park, while an extraordinary band has only been on a major label for going on about 10-11 years and hasn't even had a chance to see if their music has inspired the world's next generation of artists. They aren't top 10 musicians currently, and aren't nearly as prominent as The Who/Bruce still are all this time later. Again, I owe a lot to LP and respect them highly, but I know how these producers think and right now LP isn't prime Superbowl material. Their latest album was a stray from the formula that made them famous, didn't go platinum in the US and this latest album didn't have a #1 single. I don't care about sales, and think ATS is a masterpiece, but CBS producers do...and I can tell you, I'd be shocked if LP were the Superbowl band.

Benjamin

I know ATS wasn't that big, but I really think the band is more popular than they seem to be. There's probably still a ton of people out there that listen to their first 3 albums. And it still seems like they sell out every show they go to no matter which country/continent they're in. Also, I know I sound like a broken record, but 34,199,708. That's how many Facebook fans they have. And that number was 10 million smaller before ATS's release.

But I guess there wouldn't be enough proof that LP is still relevant at the moment for a CBS producer to have them play. Maybe they'll be like Bruce/the Who and play 20 years from now, haha.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Never question Derek, hes usually always right about stuff like this. :D
    I can back him up on this that LP are nowhere nears a popular as they used to be. Especially in the UK where they don't get the love they deserve.
    But the Superbowl is an American thing, so LP definitely has more popularity over there in the USA than in the UK so its a possibility, though not likely. :(

Derek

Believe you me, I'd love LP to play the Super Bowl, because at least they wouldn't suck. Maybe if fans start a petition and we get enough signatures it could happen? You never know.

Bradyoactiv

Bradyoactiv The world is your Cloyster LPA VIP

Yeah, I have to take the side that Linkin Park's music really doesn't seem suited to a Super Bowl halftime. Ben's list minus What I've Done and with New Divide (New Divide was HUGE! It was constantly played on radio stations in Iowa) would probably be your best bet. However, it'd certainly be awesome if they did do the Super Bowl.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I don't think Linkin Park could perform at a Super Bowl. The sort of music they perform is difficult for a crowd of that sort to enjoy. Not to mention that Linkin Park isn't exactly a Top 10 Live Performance group, nor are they a Top 10 Group in regards to singles and popularity nowadays. They just don't fit that sort of setting.

Cat

Cat Member

I've been saying they need to do the Super Bowl for years. What they could do is do a combined show with another group or even get back with Jay-Z for it and it may go over better with the organizers even though it would kick ass for them to do it alone.

Although the chances are low... I'd love them to play there.