Dragon Ball Super

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, Apr 28, 2015.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Liked episode 6, but the animation did stick out to be a bit sketchy in some places, which makes me pretty worried about the action scenes for the rest of the series.
    it does seem like the Z Fighters will stand more up to Beerus in this version(or at least the fight will drag out a bit longer).
    I just hope they don't ruin Vegeta's cool moment.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Quality drops in the animation are still a thing, but sadly I don't expect them to leave anytime soon.

Episode 7 in a nuthsell: what a tease.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I really have a hard time getting used to those animations, even though those were not as bad as episode 5. Maybe I'm just nostalgic of the good old days.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I dont saw any bigger animation problems in this. Liked that episode, also if it was not so clever to watch BoG before it, takes a "bit" plot. But ome really funny things again.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I really tried watching Dragon Ball Super in Japanese, but I just can't. The whole vibe of the thing just feels so weird to me, mostly because of the language, voices and music of course. Hopefully the Funimation dub will appear soon!!

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Needs more cowbell. And Bruce Faulconer.

Alexrednex

So to continue the whole rating thing.

Episode 6: 8/10 - Did the reveal of Beerus and his past with Vegeta better than the movie.
    Episode 7: 6/10 - A big tease for the fight between Vegeta and Beerus. Filler-ish
    Episode 8: 6,5/10 - The fight between Vegeta and Beerus was enjoyable but I still prefer the BOG version.
    Episode 9: 7,5/10 - The ritual was WAAY more dramatic and epic than in the BOG movie. Good episode overall.
    Episode 10: 8/10 - Finally the fight begins. Pretty cool stuff. I really like how they showed Goku getting used to his new god powers.
    Episode 11: 9/10 - Probably the best episode yet. The animation was stellar, the voice acting on point, and the back and forth was exciting to watch. Liking this version of the fight better than the one in the BOG movie.

Overall Super is getting better, while I still disagree with the decision to re-tell the BOG story, since it was already so great in the movie.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    Michele

God, i have this Namek kind of feeling with this last three episodes, its so long :lol:

Not bad thought :)

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Anyone else hate the OST? Feels so lame, the old Jap and American scores were wayyyy better. Its so lacking. Like generic poppy bubble gum anime music rather than the badass DBZ scores most of us grew up with.

Michele

I like the opening thought. The rest doesnt stuck in my head like the other from DBZ.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

I agree with that. The opening is very catchy

travz21

Give me BRUCEEEEEEEE. I need that score and Funimation dub if I'm ever going to watch Super.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

I doubt they'll use Falconer again. They had plenty of opportunities after DBZ with GT, films, and Kai. Apart from that, FUNimation has a panel coming up at NY Comic Con this weekend, they are gonna be talking about Revival of F and DBS as well as announcing something big for Dragonball. I believe they are gonna announce that they are officially dubbing it and probably giving a release date as well.

travz21

Just watched the dub of Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'. I couldn't think of a bigger insult to every character involved. Every decision made in this movie is illogical. The script was garbage. The score was almost nonexistent, which would be fine if the script was written correctly, but instead we get a film with no suspense, no emotion, no danger. I'm starting to think the only reason I can tolerate the writing in DBZ is because Faulconer's score is incredible and makes up for lazy writing, so you still FEEL something epic.

I'd still rather have Linda Young voicing Frieza, but his new voice was passable. Not a great fit for Frieza, but okay.

Seriously, this movie blows. Here we have Frieza, the sole character in the universe that has caused Vegeta all the pain and torment in his life. Frieza even killed him on Namek while he was on his back crying in the dirt. And yet FRIEZA IS THE ONE THAT WANTS VENGEANCE IN THIS MOVIE?!?! Holy shit these writers are a joke.

I'm fine with the idea of bringing Frieza back. I'm fine with Goku getting some screen time for the fans. But this movie should have been a character study of Vegeta.

We should have been shown the feelings going on inside Vegeta when he finds out Frieza has been revived. Vegeta and the audience should be made aware that Frieza has attained power equal to our heroes very early on in the movie (and they should handle Frieza's training in a less rushed manner so it feels less like a stupid plot device). We need to have Vegeta reflect on his past and what he has gone through to become the man he is today. We need to see how tragic Frieza made Vegeta's life and reinforce how evil Frieza really is. We need Vegeta to feel proud of who he is now (lol not hard) and we need him to feel overly protective of his home, friends, and family. And this should culminate in showing Vegeta as being hellbent on killing the most evil entity the universe has ever seen, not only for what Frieza has done to Vegeta's race and his own personal life, but because Frieza deserves to die.

Realistically, Goku should go through the same conflict Vegeta does, but his character is too far gone to salvage. He'll always be written as dumb and too lenient. This movie would have been a perfect time to give DBZ a character with actual substance. The first 60 minutes of this movie was pure filler anyways, so why not spend it on actually putting effort into writing a story and creating character development instead of being lazy?

Instead we're given a movie that is completely soulless. Even the combat made no sense and has no logic. We still have god-level fighters firing energy blasts downwards toward the planet? Who writes this stuff? Toriyama, call me up.

I'm off to YouTube to watch Gohan go SSJ2 and wreck Cell to get this bad taste out of my mouth.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

I hugely disagree with some of the things you brought up, though ultimately this is just opinions in the end.

Chris Ayres has been Frieza for many years now because Linda Young was simply not capable of handling the role anymore so I'd say he's more than just passable, especially in the acting department against Linda. If bad writing is something you just couldn't tolerate with DBZ, I'd suggest watching Dragonball Z Kai uncut. The script is clearly written for a mature fan base, and not in the sense of swearing, but using more than just "silly colloquial terms".

Why exactly is it an issue that Frieza wants vengeance in this film? Do you not know his character? This is the guy who took life after life for immortality, but was instead killed by the very race that he enslaved. As a pinnacle of murderous, greedy, rulers in this series you would expect nothing less of him wanting payback for what was taken from him.

I agree that Vegeta should have had more screen time in the sense that he should have been the one fighting Frieza the most or at the very least finishing him off, but this topic is nothing new no matter how badly you or anyone else wants it. Toriyama has openly expressed his dislike for Vegeta's character, hence the reason you hardly ever see him win anything. No point in complaining about something that has been constant for several years now.

As the typical fan will point out, at no point in the story is there any filler. The story was written by Toriyama, direct source means its all official in terms of storyline. Toriyama openly stated that this film was largely action based which was absolutely true. After the first 15-20 minutes, you get almost nonstop fighting going on. By this point in time, its been close to 4 years since their epidemic with Buu, the Z-Fighters are at a time of peace and have clearly settled down with training with the exception of Goku and Vegeta, which makes sense considering Gohan questions if he could even go Super Saiyan anymore. I guarantee you that it would have been the same case for the Buu saga if Gohan and the others did not start training for the World Martial Arts Tournament after 7 years of no fighting after Cell (once again with the exception of Goku and Vegeta).

travz21

I don't take issue with Frieza wanting vengeance. It's just that his reason is pathetic and to make that the main plot point is even worse. It came off as a crybaby seeking revenge because he lost. Nothing more. Why would you make that the premise of your movie?!

Vegeta is the one that would be rightfully vengeful. Like I said, Frieza is the one that has caused all of the pain in Vegeta's life, even reducing him to tears on Namek while he lays in the dirt waiting to die, crying and begging Kakarot to defeat Frieza. Vegeta. Crying and begging. That's why I caps locked that sentence. It's completely ridiculous that Frieza's revenge gets focus while Vegeta's isn't even mentioned at all. Vegeta doesn't even get upset in the movie. It's like Frieza is just another character. There is no depth to the story at all.

So I'm fine with Frieza's motives, but to totally ignore the other side of the spectrum is lazy. It's clear they were just trying to make a fun movie while putting in as little effort as possible. Because if they wanted they had the material needed to make an anime masterpiece.

I meant "filler" as in irrelevant screen time. The first 60 minutes does almost nothing to advance the story. It's just everyone fiddling with their thumbs until Goku gets to Earth.

Please don't get me started on Gohan lol. I wish they would have just lazily left him out like Goten, Trunks, and Buu. They should have just had him die after his fight with Cell if they were going to destroy his character that badly.

That said, I liked Battle of Gods quite a bit. Watching it again right now with a Faulconer score edit. Pretty amazing.

Last random edit - I don't get why they even brought Frieza back if they weren't going to do anything special with the story. It was cool to see him again and that was about it. They didn't use the opportunity to further develop any of the characters. Why not just use a new villain? Just seems like they did it to make more money since it would create hype.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Disregarding the entire storyline, the reason they brought Freeza back is because he'd sell tickets to the movie and he'd sell copies of the DVD. That's the entire reason they brought him back. Golden Freeza was their justification for bringing him back. In-universe he wanted vengeance because Goku killed him when he thought he was the strongest being in the universe (which was far from the truth). Out-universe they brought him back because he's the single most iconic Dragon Ball Z villain and hands-down the No. 1 Dragon Ball Z villain and bringing him back would make them money. That's all.

Storyline-wise I agree, it was super weak.

As far as the voice actors are concerned, the new voice actor is far superior to the old voice actor. It took me some time to adjust but Dragon Ball Kai proved to me the old voice actor wasn't nearly as good as the new voice actor. Remove your nostalgia glasses for an episode and you'll see. Of course it all boils down to opinion but there you have it.

travz21

I think the actor is good. I just think the voice is generic and unfitting for the character. I liked the gravelly higher pitched voice since Frieza is a small, androgynous alien. It was also a very distinct and unique voice.

Alexrednex

Resurrection of F was pure fan service.
    Once you accept that, the movie gets a lot more enjoyable, since the plot is pretty illogical.
    I personally think the action is some of the best, if not the best, we have ever seen in DBZ.
    I mean, Goku is actually using martial arts again, finally. The animation was super smooth, and the comedy was on point.
    Doesn't justify the kind of lazy plot but at least the movie is fun. I would give it a low 7/10

I agree with Will about the voice actors, the new ones are doing an amazing job.
    And especially Frieza has never sounded better.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Frieza was only brought back for nostalgia's sake, which financially made sense. If they planned on reviving any character, he seemed like the most logical because of his popularity. Many people saw it more as a return to basics. There is no denying that a good portion of Frieza and Goku's fight brought back memories from their first fight, but now on another level.

One thing I think you could consider about Vegeta's character to understand why he was written the way he was for this film is that Vegeta has largely matured from who he once was. Vegeta started off HIGHLY cocky, pride filled and very arrogant. You finally see change in his character upon him admitting that Goku is the strongest among the two, and uses that as an incentive to get stronger.

Since then Vegeta has become a much more calm and collected character that doesn't seem to focus on the past anymore, most notably in Battle of Gods where he gives up his Saiyan pride to please Beerus, but takes worry on his current family, which is clear from Bulma being hit. Though he remains stubborn, and at times angered, it is shown in Dragonball Super that Vegeta even gives effort to try to go on vacation with his family after making the promise to his son.

A key aspect going further into this is Whis telling Vegeta that his anger gets the best of him which Vegeta seemed to understand to a certain degree in Resurrection F. It seems like his reaction to Frieza's revival was perfectly executed. Vegeta felt he was on a whole new level compared to where he once was when he was killed by Frieza and knows that he shouldn't have to lose his calm in the moment no matter what their past was, hence taking in Whiss' advice.

Moving onto Gohan, I also agree that his character has gotten softer and at times useless as a fighter, but something every Gohan fan absolutely fails to notice is that his character was pretty much set to become who he was from the very first episode that he was introduced. At the age of 4, Gohan tells Bulma that he wanted to grow up to be a scholar. It is shown throughout the anime that Gohan is very much back and forth in terms of how he feels about his studies, makes perfect sense from a psychological standpoint because he was still just a boy that wanted excitement in his life just like any child.

By the time he reaches the Cell saga, Gohan (now a young boy nearing his teen years) tried to remain as passive as ever, going as far as telling Cell all the fighting was pointless and that he didn't want to fight Cell. It isn't until Cell pushes Gohan to his limits that he final ascends and gets completely power hungry, allowing his dad to pretty much get killed by Cell. One could easily say that this violent nature came out of Gohan after he transformed Super Saiyan 2, causing his primal saiyan instincts to rise to their peak. After Cell is finished off, there is peace time of 7 years which Gohan uses to focus on school rather than fighting, which again he was no longer interested in, and it only makes sense because Gohan is only half saiyan so his human-self played a huge role in how his character acted, proving he doesn't feel the need to constantly fight like a pure blooded saiyan, Vegeta being a prime example because he spent his 7 years doing so.

Buu Saga Gohan, now a fully grown smart teen, may have become that same character he once was against Cell when he became mystic Gohan, but that was only because the situation was dire, and Gohan understood what needed to be done as opposed to what he personally would have wanted, which by now we know is stay passive. I know many people dislike GT, but its clear that they nailed his character perfectly and knew what kind of a man Gohan would become, a studious and much more dedicated father and husband than Goku ever was. Ultimately it comes from their human nature. The same can be easily said about Trunks and Goten, GT definitely nailed their personalities too.