Egos, Popularity, Blah Blah Blah.

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Luke, Aug 6, 2008.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I'm really considering leaving this place. I never actually foresaw this happening any time soon but it is. When I made a post in the calender thread about a select few ruining it for the majority, I don't think I've ever made a truer statement on this forum. A select few people on this forum have ruined it for me by helping to make this place that little bit less fun every time they rant about something they don't like that's happened on this forum.

Popularity among a forum is a fucking joke and it's high time certain people realised that. I don't know if people consider me as one of those people with an 'ego' but quite frankly I don't have a fucking clue what people are on about when they talk about egos. I challenge someone to come forth and submit a list of those people who apparently need to come onto a forum and somehow gain popularity among people they don't know in order to satisfy their ego and what's more I challenge the staff to allow it.

I'm sick of people ruining other people's fun here. This place is meant to be warm and fun but for the past few months it's been the complete opposite because you've always gotta watch what you say because you never know if some little group of people will say that you've got a big ego. Apparently being nice and actually interacting with people here isn't such a good idea because when you do you're obviously just out to gain popularity.

But obviously I don't know what the hell I'm on about right? I must just be blowing this whole thing out of proportion right? Wrong. It's about time someone had the balls to raise this issue because I know I'm not the only one who feels this way and I'm actually interested to here what people have to say from the other side of the coin.

I've tried to defend this site whenever possible from people who have said negative things about it because I genuinely used to think this was an amazing community but for some reason over the past year or so the foundations of it have just rotted away. I know that's something that no one wants to hear but I think people will agree with me in saying that this place just isn't the same anymore. One of the reasons if because some people here are just, plain and simple, assholes who can't get over themselves. It's funny because I havn't held a grudge with anyone who I've had spats with and yet I still feel like there are people here who could care less whether I was here or not and would probably prefer the latter. But fuck it that's their problem.

To sum up, this place is just full of negativity these days. I really enjoy talking to most of the people here and if I do go then I'll miss you. I havn't made up my mind yet (chances are I'll still stay simply because I'm bored alot nowadays lol) but I hope to see some changes here soon whether I'm here or not. I'll take any warnings that are coming to me for bringing this up but it's about time someone said something.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I think you are blowing this way out of proportion, as you are the only one who seems to be taking this to heart.

Ummm...what negativity do you speak of? I don't see it. So I am confused there. I personally see a lot of "fun" on this board. Just look at the recent Random Thoughts thread, as an example. The forums have lightened up, as of late, so I am shocked you have so much to complain about.

In that LPA Calendar thread, what I find kind of messed up is that you were rude to Casey and basically told him to leave the LPA if he didn't like certain things...and yet you make this thread listing your gripes. That's fine but I feel like the same could be applied to you, right?, based on what you said in response to Casey. Even though he prompted you to respond by posting "waits for Hellflame's inevitable reply", I'm sure you could have handled it better even if you both did single each other out. I was surprised at how defensive you got with your comments in that thread, and not just at Casey.

I like you Luke. I don't have any problems with you at all nor do I want you to leave, but I just think you need not to take this to heart. It's not worth it. So turn that frown upside down! :)

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I will have to respectfully disagree with you Hellflame, and actually take the side of Andrea here.

I strongly believe that while yes, there are some people who still take things a little too personally on here and prefer to let their egos show freely...that in reality, this forum has become a lot more fun than it used to be in the past. We used to never allow the amount of randomness we allow now, and used to be a LOT more stricter on the members as to what they can, or cannot do.

Ever since we lightened up and allowed more "fun" threads in Random Thoughts, the forums themselves have become a lot more enjoyable to be on, and we've even had some former LPA vets (alacrity, el postwhore etc) return to the scene, providing a much needed throwback to the glory days when nobody gave a damn.

Which you shouldn't be giving right now. Just relax and enjoy it. We discovered a long time ago that the LPA is just a forum and meant to be treated higher than that, and perhaps you should too.

Enjoy yourself. I certainly have the last two months.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Not to be a dick and start anything else but I find it funny that all this anger and conflict started because of a thread/poll about making a calendar. There isn't anything better to argue about? :lol:

EDIT: and did anyone ever realize that if the calendar idea were to happen you could have multiple members each month? I can't really think of more than 24 members that actively post. Casey's artwork idea would work too. At this point though, there's no point. It's been argued about too much and it's already ruined.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
    Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Remember when there was a time when there were swear filters? Oh man, those were the days...

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Those were the days.

the Moderators also patroled here with an Iron fist!

But anyway Luke: As much as popularity goes, im with you. There's just seems to be alot of people who get abit more attention than others. And it is annoying. I don't find these forums full of negativity, but i do find this place to be alot of the "popular groupie" or whatever that im trying to say. The LPA calender would've been a popularity contest, and thats no fair AND NO FUN for everyone else. Like on RT and other threads where it becomes like "blue member's secret society room" I kinda see what you're saying, I think. Or maybe I just use the quote button too much.

You didn't blow this outta proportion, but, it seems abit inflated. Like too much air to a bike!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
    Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Luke, blow some steam of and relax. There's no negativity on here as far as I can see, it's actually more fun. And no one thinks you have a big ego. The only reason I mentioned growing ego's in that Poll thread is because it's been proved in the past, popular members who thought they could cross the line and do everything they want because they were popular, well you know how the story goes. So just eh...you know, sit back and relax a little.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

To be honest I almost regret making this thread now. When I made it I was tired and probably wasn't thinking straight so I'm sorry. This place isn't full of negativity but I certainly have felt that popularity and egos have become too much of an issue and I think something certainly needs to be done about that. I don't really have any suggestions but something has to be done to try and quell this situation.

I don't see what everyone else is saying about egos but I do see alot of people who take the whole thing a bit too seriously which I really don't understand but if that's how you guys feel then it's probably not my place to be arguing with it so I'm sorry for that aswell. But on the other side of the coin I still think the fact that egos and popularity can be a basis to shut down something fun on a forum is not right.

With regards to the post to Casey: I'm sorry for being rude last night but one thing you all have to understand is that me and Casey have never gotten along. I don't hold grudges and I try to be nice whenever possible but it just seems we can't get along no matter what. The thing is that I knew I'd come off looking like a jerk when I made that post but in all fairness the *inevitable reply* thing was just an invitation to get me started in my opinion and there was no need for that. I could go on about how I feel about this particular point but I don't wanna restart anything. What's done is done so let's just move on.

I'm sorry if I came off as a dick last night. I'm not going anywhere. As you all rightly said I probably just needed to blow of some steam.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Now let's hug.

:hug:

:sorcerer:

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

It's unavoidable. However as staff we can only do so much before we have to step back and say, "Look, we did what we can but this is out of our hands." And you, the community members need to understand not everything is going to be sunshine and rainbows all the time what with such a broad spectrum of personalities. They're going to clash; it's inevitable.

In this case I'd have to say the same: It's something you'll have to deal with. Sure, Casey may be inviting you to snap back, but you know what would fix that situation? Walking away. If you're getting heated, leave and come back after you've cooled down. What if a situation begins to escalate to a point where two people are flaming one another over something just as petty? It'd be pretty disappointing to know they got banned for something they could have simply avoided all together, wouldn't it?

Like I said, we can only do so much as staff. We have to trust our members can behave accordingly, and the gray areas such as tolerance levels are things we can only help our members with to an extent. Anything beyond, and we enter a catch 22 where we're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't. All I can really suggest is to just let things go. There's no point in getting riled up over an argument on the Internet and making yourself look foolish. :)

Now on the note of the calendar, (from what I gather) the reason it was shut down was because a greater deal of people felt it wouldn't turn out to be a good idea. That and considering no one was willing to be mature about the situation, rather decided to be sarcastic and rude to one another, that did not help the case at all. Now if you want people to trust something such as a calendar can work on a mature and fair level, then prove to the public it can be done and they will follow. If it doesn't work out, don't take it as an insult, take it simply as people did not agree and move on. Perhaps it'll work in the future? Who knows? But the way that entire situation was handled wasn't very convincing, even to me who wouldn't have minded which way that project went.

aki*lp

aki*lp LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Luke for the majority of the people you like, stay :).

@Sylar- Very true. It was just a thread with a little suggestion.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Luke, I agree with most of the things you said, but people are like that not only on the internet but in the real world as well. The only difference is that on the internet you should to let it go and pay no attention to it.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I don't think it is negativity. I just feel the mods in general seem to be going to hell and back to make sure people don't get their feelings hurt. There are limits, and open flaming shouldn't be allowed, but if you get your feelings hurt on a forum because you lose a contest then you should either grow up or not compete. It seems pathetic how such threads have to be closed and such contests or ideas stomped out because everyone is jumping to take offense for a few crybabies who love to compete and hate to lose.

Also, as a side note, I was pretty specific in saying we should keep it clean, so the sarcastic reply I got was just moronic.

EDIT: I mean, if members of the LPA wish to just hold a beauty contest, I don't see what rule they are breaking. If you can't handle losing, then don't enter. It's that simple. The majority should not have to babysit the minority of offendable members.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
    Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

There are a few people on here with ego's, and I can certainly remember when I was newer to the forums feeling somewhat intimidated by the more senior members who won't talk properly to anyone they see as a 'noob' or whatever.

But that's only a couple of members, and for the most part, especially over the last couple of months, this place has really come back to life and been awesome.

Luke I like you, you're friendly towards everyone, regardless of their post count. Stick around :)

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

No matter where you go, in life or on the internet there will be tossers with big egos and people who think they can look down on others, and like Dusan said, we just have to ignore them. I really dislike anyone who tries to make themselves seem more important or better than anyone else and I'll just despise the person and ignore them. I think this is more of a personal thing, rather than a widespread issue regarding the boards.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Yeah I don't think there is a widespread issue lately.
    It's been much more enjoyable lately, even if a certain someone who i won't mention is still missing.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. And in your second post. The forums have been a lot more lively lately and it's been a great change. Luke, don't leave. God knows we've lost a few regulars of late, so it'd be a pity to see another go.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I remember not long after I go here, I wrote a rap thingy that has to do with LPA and then someone said I was trying to be one of "LPA's Elite?" whilist I was thinking "What?, I'm just having fun" but.. yeah that's over with so bah! . Anyway. I'll keep most of my feelings to myself on this one. For now.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I LOVE YOU GUYS!

See... everything is cooooool.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

fu biotch