Entropy -- Reflectionist

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by Reflectionist, May 21, 2012.

Reflectionist

Reflectionist Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

[​IMG]

---+---

There are two sides.

One side is a three part arc in exploration of the beauty of faith. Chaotic uncertainty set against an immutable backdrop of tranquil serenity. It is followed by a fourth part, which introduces love, as poison to the reckless passion of faith.

The other side is a three part arc in exploration of the solitude of doubt. Chaotic serenity set against the immutable backdrop of tranquil uncertainty. It is followed by a fourth part, which introduces love, as poison to the crippling cynicism of doubt.

Chaos leads to equilibrium.

The Entropy of the universe tends to a maximum.

---+---

Abreuvoir
    "The Point is to Discover Them..."
    Empty-Handed and Shoeless
    Like a Lunar Eclipse on the Surface of Neptune
    Soleil
    Hegel's Circle Jerk (@9pm sharp)
    To Fall on Deaf Ears
    One Who Draws The Knife

---+---

This is Entropy, my humble first attempt at an original release. It is--in many ways--a concept album. In other ways, it isn't. I don't really know how to accurately describe it to someone who hasn't listened to it, so I'll just... get to it.

Listen or download HERE. You may donate if you'd like (I'd be extremely honored if you did), but it's not required that you pay any money to download the album. Simply click "Buy Now" and put a zero into the box that pops up. You'll be asked to enter your e-mail address (it'll sign you up for a mailing list that I have absolutely no use for, so don't worry about getting spam), and then you'll be taken to a page to select your filetype. I'd recommend the 320kbps .mp3, as most of the stuff on the album isn't any better quality than that anyway. Sorry, guys.

So why should you download? Two reasons. The first is that you get an extra piece of artwork that I made, in addition to the cover art in its original form, but the album is also gapless. Tracks 5-7 are meant to be listened to as one continuous piece, and you won't be able to do that from the website.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. Please leave any comments or questions below. Thank you so very much.

--James.

BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

Hey man listened to some tracks, i'll listen more later but I love what I hear! I've kinda followed your work from a while back on various LP forums haha. You always impress!

Reflectionist

Thanks, man. I appreciate the support!

Yeah, lol... other LP forums. Haha, not my best days for sure!

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You have a mailing list now? :)

Reflectionist

Sort of. Bandcamp adds your e-mail address to a mailing list that apparently only I have access to. That's really all I know, and I've seen no way for me to actually send anything to a mailing list. XD

BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

Just finished it, very chill. It was good to listen to since I was sleepy haha. I needed something that wasn't 'in your face' at the moment. Good work! 'One who Draws the Knife' is my favorite.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Very nice. I hear some prominent Aphex Twin style in there.

Reflectionist

Very true. Drukqs made this album.

Thanks! That's the one I put the most time into, interestingly enough.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I like it a lot! There's a nice balance between energetic glitchy beats and ambient melodies. It's both relaxing and energizing. I also hear some Depeche Mode influences here and there, which is cool as well.

So in short, amazing work man! Congrats!

Reflectionist

I don't actually listen to Depeche Mode, so that's an interesting observation. Nice. I'm glad you like it, though! Which one is your favorite, if I may ask?

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

You should listen to Sounds of the Universe from Depeche Mode, it's their most recent album. Some sounds you have in your songs kinda sound like stuff from that album. Then you also have some sounds going on that would actually fit on the Sound of the Universe album without even feeling out of place.

Empty-Handed and Shoeless, To Fall On Deaf Ears and One Who Draws The Knife are definately my favorite ones. I can't really choose a favorite one out of these three because I all like them for different reasons.

Empty Handed and Shoeless has very nice synth sounds and a glitchy drum and bass-like drum pattern in the beginning, which is awesome. The transition to the climax of this song (with the other drum pattern) is also something that I like a lot.

To Fall On Deaf Ears has all this crazy shit going on and I like it because of that. Cool sounds and crazy shit (also, I think I heard some sounds made with the Gross Beat effect, did you happen to use that for this track?)

And last but not least, One Who Draws The Knife is a great ending for this album. The build-up is legit and well, I think the sounds you used are again cool as hell (you can probably already tell, I have a weakness for cool sounds). I also like the sample you used at the end (the person talking). I didn't even notice it until the music started to fade away so you really added that seemlessly, which is cool.

Reflectionist

I'll definitely give this a listen, thanks for the heads-up!

Ha, I was absolutely in love with it when I first made it, but shhh... it's the same key and progression as Abreuvoir. XD Not so creative now!

I did use Gross Beat, great ear! I did a lot of manual editing as well, on top of distorting and compressing the entire drum track to hell and back. Gross Beat is much more prominent in Abreuvoir, but again... only as a guideline. In both cases, I did about 4+ minutes of drum glitching, bounced to new track, selected my favorite pieces, and then manually edited them together with some of my own glitching. It turned out rather well.

Thanks, the monologue at the end is actually me. Haha. Here's what it says, but with all of the glitching at the beginning, you'll only start to make out words about halfway through:

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

No problem man!

Btw, great use of Gross Beat. If it wasn't for some sounds, I wouldn't even have known that you used it. I use it quite often too (that's why I recognized some sounds haha).

And the monolgue is great man, a lot of meaning in it. Really, keep doing what you do, you're good at it!