Evolution EP [October 2010]

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by hawk, Sep 27, 2010.

1. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

The official 20 second preview is here!
    FLIGHT SoundCloud | YouTube

The track I am most proud of is Atmosphere, and I'm glad it seems to be the favorite between the rest of us too.
    I have finished working on Evolution, but right now I can't say that I am 100% happy with the sound, and so I am working on a totally new version and seeing if I can make a different version that I am 100% happy with. If I run out of time, the one in the preview, the one I'm not so happy about will be released.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

At first after hearing the first few seconds I assumed that this track would be a airplane flying segue to the next. I was wrong when I heard the ending. Superb.

3. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I feel that way with every song I make lol

4. hawk

Thanks dude. By the preview, you have pretty much heard the whole song.

Haha. Well, I'm happy with all the other songs, thats why I am changing it.

5. Topher

Topher LPA VIP LPA VIP

Epic.

6. hawk

Evolution is what drives all change around the world but on November 6th, H4WK changes Evolution.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  7. 28thART

28thART The Hard Way

Love this !!!
    you have talent, why you don't start playing an instrument, and improve your self to be a music composer ?
    Wish you good luck.

8. hawk

Thanks a lot dude, means a lot.
    I've always wanted to do something with music, and this EP is the start of doing so.
    You guys have made awesome comments towards this album and it makes me really happy.
    I want to learn an instrument, but I want to learn it through listening, seeing and trying.

9. UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Hey hawk, what program did you use to make all this?

10. hawk

I used Acoustica Mixcraft 5. Its like GarageBand for PC, but the thing is that you can't make as many tracks you could with GarageBand. Thats the problem. I think I won't be making anything with Mixcraft anytime soon to be honest. GarageBand, here I come!

11. UNiPersona

As long as it works on windows, it works for me. It's impossible for me to get an iMac

12. hawk

Fair enough.

Just to let you know there will be a review coming out on the 30th, or the 31st from Nick.

13. UNiPersona

Sounds cool.
    I know acoustica, I have pianissimo on my computer as a vst plugin for overture 4.

14. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

FL Studio is really easy, too.

15. Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

I can't wait to check it out. When I review it, I promise I won't spoil anything, even though that's hard with instrumental music.

16. hawk

At the moment I haven't been able to get anything else done "music-wise", so the Evolution track is just the same as it has been since the start. The album I am going to send to Nick will feature the "bad" Evolution track, if I get around to completing the new one then I'll get him to re-review it.

On a happy note I'm glad to introduce to you some "art". I messed around with the original idea 28th came up with, and here it is.
    [thumb]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8352/art01.png[/thumb]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try not to, but if you have to then do it. Just let people know about spoilers.

At the moment I haven't been able to work on Evolution, and so it seems for the REVIEW it will be the original one, but in time for the release I hope to have the new version done. That is unless Evolution gets a good review.

17. Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

I had a chance to get an exclusive listen to the EP. Here is my review;

01. Wake
    Starts with synths echoing and what seems to be grand piano play. A very dark and deep atmosphere is starting to build. A drum beat devolops and you can hear single notes being played. The sharp synths return and are increasing in pitch. The song ends on a simple note with piano play. 8/10

02. Evolution
    This track completely changes the atmosphere of the album. Opens with dark synths and a trance-like beat. You can hear drum claps and guitar play. The guitar reminds me of an old spy movie. The beat changes into a thudding techno beat. A warm synth pad melts into the track, and the guitar returns. The synths and guitar fade out and you can hear what seems to be outside ambience. The whole songs atmosphere changes. 8/10

03. Be Simple
    Starts off with a guitar and a hip-hop beat. You can hear really melodic piano play in the background. The song breaks and all you can hear is piano play and the drum beat. The guitar and piano play compliment each other really well over the hip-hop beat. A loud electric guitar breaks in out of nowhere and lies on top of the piano. The guitar solo is really good. The song decreases in intensity as layers start to fade out. Very well laid out, the buildup was superb. 9/10

04. Flight
    You can hear planes taking off in the opening and then you can hear techno synths. Nothing more than an interlude to calm the mood of the first track and help set up the next track. 7.5/10

05. Atmosphere
    Starts with sharp synth play and the atmosphere starts to build up slowly. You can hear another hip-hop beat in the background. The echoing synths are very smooth and uplifting. The best instrumental work on this album by far. You can hear a guitar be plucked in the background following the beat of the synths. The song starts to slowly fade out and ends with ambience. 10/10

Overall: This instrumental EP is simply brilliant. From the outside I figured it would just be a quick twenty minutes breeze of music, but I was pretty lost in all of the textures and sounds and I was shocked when I found that the album was so short, but it felt so long. I recommend all of the tracks without a doubt, but the highlight of the album is the track "Atmosphere". It is beautiful, it is phenomenal, it is the masterpiece. Even though this was the song I was anticipating the most, the rest of the album was just as good. The only flaws were some of the repetitiveness in the songs, but most of the time new layers were added on anyway. These songs all buildup to a reach a climax, and then fade out smoothly. Great effort and I can't wait to hear more.

9.25/10

18. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Sounds interesting, I'll keep on keeping my eye on it ;)

19. hawk

Thanks for that awesome review Nick. I am not sure that there will be a new version of Evolution, it got a better review than I thought. I also don't have enough time to be working on it that much.

I am really looking forward to releasing this. November 6, remember the date.

20. Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

You're welcome Hawk. I loved Atmosphere.