Fallout 4

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Will, Jun 2, 2015.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I haven't gotten to play the game yet (I thought I'd pre-ordered it but I was wrong so I have to wait a couple days) so I can't speak to whether or not it sucks, but I can say for a certainty that the thousands of people of r/fallout absolutely love the game. I'm sure there's the odd few who don't, but you'll have that with any AAA game release.

Anyway, aside from the ending of Mass Effect 3, both ME2 and ME3 were incredible games. I'm not really sure what you're talking about there. They made gunplay and combat in general better in ME2 and ME3 but they didn't take away the adventuring aspects of the RPG.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Ummm, not really. The only things that has changed is that gunplay actually feels like a shooter, rather than the clunkiness of Fallout 3 and New Vegas; I don't need to use V.A.T.S. all the time to win a fight.. The leveling system has been streamlined a bit, in that level-up all involves the perk chart. It still feels like Fallout though. I don't know who you heard said it sucks, they must be crazy. :lol: It's not like the game has been redesigned to feel like a FPS campaign or something. It's still very much an RPG. Maybe you should play it, to form your own opinion. :rolleyes:

I'm not the biggest fan of Mass Effect 3 (and not just because of the ending), but Mass Effect 2 is still an incredible game. It may have streamlined how you distributed level-ups and such, but it didn't lack any of the RPG depth that the first had, it maybe had even more.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I am so bad at the shooting in this game... If the enemy is moving I know I'm in trouble :rofl: I've played about 6 hours, and the one thing that I feel has changed negatively from previous Bethesda titles is the lack of diversity in random encounters. Everything I've encountered wasn't to put my head on a spike or needs my help shooting some raiders. I realize that I'm still starting the game, but I haven't had any "wow" moments like I did with Skyrim. I'm still super pumped to get further into the game though!!!

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'm just going off of Steam score. Fallout 3 was 9/10 and New Vegas was 10. Fallout 4 is a 7 and "mostly positive". That's a huge drop for a game with such history behind it.

And yeah, I just read everything is streamlined which takes away from the role playing aspect. Less choices, less customization, less upgrades. Focused more on the FPS aspect.

snailharvest

snailharvest nice

all i'll say is, i'm all for finding your own path in games, and with a game not holding your hand but...this game explains fuck all.

i'm probably holding this opinion because i never played fallout 3 (ive played many other bethesda games tho), but when a game doesn't even bother to explain or show you one of its key and most useful/pretty much necessary features (the VATS system) throughout the ENTIRE game...something is wrong.

if the internet didn't exist, i would wander around this game shooting at the floor for 5 minutes before giving up. man there is no instructions AT ALL. i get that that's kinda the point, but honestly it's ridiculous.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I don't want to play anymore...

[​IMG]

Also, the game has less role playing, but less customization? No way, the amount of stuff you can do to your character, weapons and settlements is overwhelming and I'm constantly overencumbered because of all the junk items I need for parts.

TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

First of all, the VATS is far from necessary in this game. I've used it MAYBE twice in my 10 hours of playing, and one of those was just to try it out. Secondly, they do tell you about it. Sure, it's not this big popup, but they mention it just like they mention how to melee, throw grenades, shoot etc. If there's one thing that should be explained more thoroughly that isn't explained that well, it's the damn building system.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

The game is very cryptic.
    No doubt about that.
    It is both frustrating and rewarding once you figure out what to do.
    A strategy guide would help a lot.

Try to set up supply lines between settlements without a guide and then tell me the game isn't cryptic as shit.

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

I'm just going to leave a user review from Metacritic...

travz21

That's basically what I've read. They got rid of skills. You can't decide which character style you want to play as. No freedom of dialogue choices. No more karma. No way it's an RPG. At least not in an epic sense of the past games.

Alexrednex

1) Don't believe everything you read especially not when something seems to receive polar opposite reviews. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.
    2) Play the game for yourself instead of being a sheep jumping on a popular hate-bandwagon.

I have a hard time understanding why people who loved Fallout 3 would dislike this game.
    I understand if they have issues with the story and RPG elements, I understand if they are disappointed by some of the removed/added features.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    Gibs

Hype seems to have really gotten people's expectations way too high. I expected more Fallout 3, and that's what I got.

travz21

Well they did get rid of skills and they did get rid of karma. Two huge aspects of RPG gameplay. You can't choose which direction your character takes. Anyone who would shell out $60 just to try the game when it is getting average reviews would be a little crazy.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Hey man. I've played this game a lot more now and I can tell you it's amazing. It might not be a "OMG LOOK AT THE RPGZ :doge: " kind of game but it's still a blast. It's a very fun game and that's what matters.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Lol, let's not try to bring down the enjoyment that other people are having with this game. Saying anyone who would buy the game at full price would be crazy is a bit extreme, isn't it?

travz21

I didn't say that. He told me to try the game. Anyone who would pay $60 to try a game to find out if it's good or bad when there are plenty of reviews explaining the situation...yeah, that doesn't seem necessary.

Hopefully modders can fix things up and I'll try it in the future. Sounds like the PC version is basically a port of the console version and is a mess.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    Alexrednex

It isn't but the controls feel like they were designed for a controller.
    Just takes some getting used to, and since the game has so much content it shouldn't be a huge problem.

There's no karma system, like the real world it's just a matter of perspective. Some people(companions and people you meet) like your actions and some people hate them.
    Makes sense to me, I much more prefer this gray area, than a simple good/evil scale.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Karma was stupid anyway, look at New Vegas, karma didn't matter at all in that game, people's opinions did, and that's what Fallout 4 does with it's companions.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

My copy of Fallout 4 is probably starting to collect some dust while it sits on my shelf :lol:

The reason: I don't have a PS4 to play it on >_<

I will be finally getting my PS4, along with Star Wars: Battlefront, this Tuesday, so the wait is almost over.

By the way, how is playing FO4 without dedicated skills and a true Karma system? I agree with Dave that Karma really didn't have much of an impact in New Vegas, since communities would have different levels of acceptance for your character, based on both major and minor decisions that you make.
    I am surprised that skills were entirely removed, thinking that their inclusion would be a staple of the series. I just hope that the revamped S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system with its perks will have just as much depth as the old leveling up system.

However, I did have the brilliant idea of inserting Fallout 4 into my PS3. What could possibly go wrong?

Gibs

One thing I'm really coming to appreciate about Fallout 4 is how Radiation actually feels like a problem, rather than the casual annoyance it was in Fallout 3. You can get into some deep shit if you don't probably take care of your Rads. The relative scarcity of Radaways really adds to it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015