Football (Soccer)

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by FreeYourMind, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Wikipedia says 40,242

2. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

What about Napoli's Stadio San Paolo stadium having a capacity of 78000+ and they were only promoted to serie B last season. That's like if, I dunno, Millwall's home was Old Trafford +2000 seats. :lol:

3. Dean

But Napoli were a pretty reasonable team not that long ago, so they're more like Leeds. Stadiums on the continent tend to be bigger anyway :p

4. JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

40,242? really?

wowzers hahaha - it will be empty when we go there!!

5. Dean

Who nows, maybe more people would want to go to Elland.

6. JJ

when Pools went to Darlo this season (league Two may i add) we took 7,500 with us :) amazing day :) (if you facebook the group 'we hate darlo' you'll see a picture of me :))

when we went to cardiff for the paly off finals we took an amazing 15000 people with us!! for a town with just under 100,000 people altogether that was pretty something! about a fifth of the population of Hartlepool!

and for the last away game of the season we travelled to Rochdale which is the other side of the country and we took 3,300 with us :) not bad for a relatively small town in the North East that has Newcastle, Sunderland and middlesbrough to contend with..

7. Cale.

Cale. Banned

Steve Sidwell signs for Chelsea.

Have fun warming the bench you greedy bastard.

Might not even make the 16 man squad when the full team is fit.

----
    Finally Owen Hargreaves has pretty much signed for us. A supurb addition to the team if he can repeat his world cup performances at least in the champions league where we desperately need him.

Kaka and co ran riot at the San Siro.

8. Luke

Yep I agree with you about Sidwell. It's Scott Parker and Shaun Wright-Phillips all over again. Can't resist the temptation of getting paid ridiculous amounts of money that most average people will never see in their lifetime. Whats worse is that Reading don't get a damn penny.

And to be honest, I have no idea why United are buying Hargreaves. They have so many players who can play the holding midfield role. What happens to Carrick? Because he sure as hell isn't gonna be making runs into the box like Scholes does. They paid a ridiculous fee for him in the first place if you ask me and £17m is a fucking joke for Hargreaves. He's a decent holding midfielder, but lets be honest, for £17m why not just keep Carrick as the DM and use it to buy a Left Winger as a future replacement for Giggs and a striker.

9. JJ

Hellfame - you talk a lot of sense

goodbye to first team football to Steve Sidwell :mellow: its his own fault

10. Cale.

Cale. Banned

There isn't much better out their for sale to be fair. I agree with you about the price but I won't complain unless it hampers our ability to go for our other supposed targets. Nani is apparently on the cards, a young portugese left winger in the Ronaldo mould and we're in for a striker aswell but who know's with that. So many out there but who is realistically available?

Transfer muppets from any club would love E'to or Torres but won't come cheap or won't come at all. At the moment Klaas-Jan Huntelaar looks someone of quality that would come at a reasonable price as dutch clubs are only there to sell players to the big leagues, house average players, and give former dutch internationals a retirement cheque. :p

And Carrick is a decent DM for the premiership, but against quality opposition we have no-one that runs around tackling people. Gatusso completely destroyed our attacking play that game while we just let them play and stood off. Hopefully Hargreaves amends this situation for next season.

11. Luke

If you got Nani then you would have probably the best wing attack in the premiership because Nani is an amazing young talent and with him on the left and Ronaldo on the right defences would crumble before them. The only problem is that Nani recently signed a new contract with Sporting Lisbon so if you were ever to get him it wont be this summer.

And to be honest, although United won the league, I don't see Eto'o or Torres going to them. I think they would more than likely go to Liverpool or Arsenal. Speaking of Torres, apparently we're selling Reyes to Athletico which would be awesome because it would enhance our chances of signing Torres. Apparently after Athletico lost 6-0 to Barca during the weekend, Torres has stated his ambition to move clubs with the premiership his favoured destination.

And yeah Gatusso is probably one of the best Defensive Midfielders in the world along with Makelele, Vieira and Gilberto. The only thing I'd say about Carrick is that he's more of a playmaker mid than a defensive mid.

12. Dean

So, last night was proof that Liverpool need much more quality up front, if anyone actually needed it. And consistent wingers. I mean, against the wingers weren't too bad but that isn't always the case. If they sign some they're as good as most teams.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  13. JJ

Rafael Benítez should have brought another striker on at half time. he could see his system wasnt working. and yeh i do understand that he is defensively minded and builds a lot of his play from the back but it was clear 4-5-1 wasnt working. he is great at his tactics, but i think he got this one wrong.

at half time i would have taken Xabi Alonso off, because to be honest he didnt really do much - and dropped Steven Gerrard back into the center (his best position IMO) and put Peter Crouch on, or even Craig Bellamy.

Stevie G then would of made more chances for himself, Peter Crouch and Dirk Kuyt would of been more of an aerial threat from the great amount of crosses and corners Liverpool had.

may i add too, was it Mark González who was marking Kaka? because if it was he did a great job of doing so :) anyone think the ref was having a laugh have the time though? Liverpool made some amazing tackles and still got punished for them with either free kicks or yellow cards. i know the game is different on the continent but even so..

oh yeh and the first goal that AC scored was an awful way for Liverpool to go 1-0 down. i thought Liverpool were the better side overall and didnt deserve the 2-1 scoreline.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  14. Luke

It was Mascherano covering Kaka, he's a DM whereas Gonzales is a left winger. Speaking of Gonzales, he's off to Real Betis.

15. JJ

cheers man :) i knew it wasnt Gonzales - i dont know why i put his name down lol. Masherano did a great job :)

16. Evan™

Evan™ HI! I'm Randy, I'm a Bandicoot Über Member

Leeds are looking at SuperKevs? you gotta be kidding...

17. Dean

Phillips or Keegan?

18. Evan™

Evan™ HI! I'm Randy, I'm a Bandicoot Über Member

Philips...though Kev Keegan would be interesting...

19. Cale.

Cale. Banned

Beckham's been recalled to the England squad at long last.

Been in supurb form for Madrid and is the only player you can 100% count on to give his all for England.

Invaluable player to have in the squad.

20. Luke

I don't think he should ever have been left out. Even if he wasn't given starting posistions he's still a great player to have on your team. I think David James deserves a recall too though and I have no idea why Kevin Nolan isn't in the squad whereas Jenas is, Nolan is a much better player than Jenas overall.

In other news, it looks likely that Gerard Houllier will become our sporting director which would be pretty cool in my books because he's a well respected figure in football and would help bring in some great players. Although I'm glad he wont have control over that because some of the signings he made at Liverpool were just strange and bad.

In other Gooner news, we look to be signing Jeao Moutinho from Sporting Lisbon which would be awesome because he's a great passer of the ball, can play anywhere in Midfield and is quite young so he has the potential to be a great player for us. I think this could signal Freddie's departure though.