For those of us that didn't like OML, has Chesters death impacted your opinion

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Disturbedthoughts, Jul 27, 2017.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'm glad I was never mean about not liking the album btw. Yeah, I gave my criticism, but I also complimented the good things about it and I still bought the album to support the guys. I think I would've felt guilt at this point had I been mean about the record and the band (like some people truly were).

minuteforce and Hybrid like this.
    Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

In some ways, I believe things have changed indeed, like some songs wouldn't come off as cheesy or angsty anymore but much more seriously now. That applies to songs from all albums. Also, I guess the sentiment of "let's skip this one, maybe the next record is better" has faded. His death did give OML some importance, I guess.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Chester's death is not gonna magically make the part of the fan base that either disliked or hated the new album suddenly love it.

What is more likely to happen with many (and is already happening) is that people are appreciating this album a lot more than before. Comments of people calling the band sellouts and other toxic comments like that will pretty much be reduced to trolls on the internet. Because what many are realizing now is that Chester poured out all of his heart and soul onto the lyrics and his vocal performance on this album.

Even for me, who was a big fan of this album from the start, I have an even greater appreciation for this album. Songs like "Nobody Can Save Me" and "Halfway Right" and "Sharp Edges" (and "One More Light", of course) hit harder than ever before.

So to answer your question, generally yes, Chester's death has made an impact on almost everyone in the fanbase's opinion on the album. Just not in the "all of the sudden, I love pop" kind of way.

Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

No the lyrics are very deep and have meant meaning but the sound is just really bad imo

EvilMamma

EvilMamma Active Member

Just my opinion here...but nobody can expect any band/artist/singer to maintain the same style 20 years later. Eventually, people lose interest. It's called growth, maturity and adapting. LP isn't the same band they were during Hybrid. With OML, there is a maturity to their lyrics. They don't have the same "f*ck the world" vibe.

While I am not a fan of "traditional pop" music, songs like Invisible, Heavy and Good Goodbye and even Talking to Myself are very well done. You don't have the scream lyrics to get your point across.

Let's be honest here...LP and their style has been changing since A Thousand Suns. Probably my favorite album of theirs. OML has a uniqueness to it. I feel it was their transition into adulthood. I say good for them!

Whether you agree or disagree, OML will not define their style. I also believe LP isn't done yet...there will be more to come, just give it time.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I actually liked One More Light before the tragedy but I'm starting to appreciate more the songs I didn't like as much. I find myself enjoying Heavy, Battle Symphony, and especially Talking to Myself.

Evernote the songs I already thought were some of their best work ever I started enjoying more.

The only songs that didn't change negative or positive for me are Invisible and Good Goodbye but those are heavily Mike tracks.

Actually Invisible was once my least favorite on the album before it passed Heavy but now it's down to last and thats not because I don't like it (I like them all), it's because I'm starting to like Heavy more than before.

EvilMamma likes this.
    HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

I liked OML before and I like it now. Though before I wasn't a big fan of Heavy, and now it resonates with me a lot more. Other than youtube comments from people fishing for likes to have a top comment, I haven't seen anyone guilting others for not liking OML.

If you didn't like OML, that's fine and I don't think anyone should try to force themselves to like it just because Chester is gone. I do hope, however, that the people who questioned and/or ripped apart the bands integrity and sincerity upon OML's release reflect on their comments and reevaluate how they'll approach criticism in the future.

EvilMamma

EvilMamma Active Member

I love OML...while I have had difficulty listening to Heavy, for personal reasons. Only thing I can say, it sinks me into a deeper depression.

Invisible is actually my favorite track off the album. The lyrics just designate forgiveness with friendships lost.

the title track, OML just makes my cry.

A lot of this particular album brought emotions out that I buried years ago...it was a love/hate relationship with the album.

I haven't listened to one song from OML since last Thursday. Been struggling to listen to any LP song right now.

Blake likes this.
    One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Defintely. For me the main problem was the lyrics and in some cases it might be that the lyrics are bad (to me) and that makes me think that the entire album is rubbish. This was the case here. I had nothing to have the lyrics relate to so they felt "meh" to me. Then Chester died and, sorry for the mean expression but, it all made sense to me and it hit so hard. Ended up unable to listen to anything else for a while.

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

nah, I still not a fan. its a good album, but I just don't listen to it. I only listen to Hybrid Theory and Meteora. very one sided but I'm pretty sure ill appreciate their other albums when I get older lol. I just can relate to the first 2 albums.

Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

Same, The lyrics on OML are good and solid but the sound is atrocious, hot garbage to me. Feels like something off of a kids bop record or something from a disney movie soundtrack. Def their weakest and worst album imo.

AmbienTisCool likes this.
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Hot garbage is kinda extreme, dont you think? You could just say it doesn't fit your taste :/

minuteforce likes this.
    AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

def true. a lot of people hate on people who only like Meteora and Hybrid Theory, tbh they r the best in my opinion! honestly I dint even listen to another albums cuz quite simply I don't like them ( except a select few songs from each album). I wouldnt call OML garbage. instrumentals were simple and I liked that, what I don't like is pacing of music. I like hard, heavy,agressive music.

Forfeit to Break and minuteforce like this.
    Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

See this is how to state your opinioin in a fair minded way. Totally respect that.

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

Haha thx.

Benny_

Benny_ Active Member

It's definitely become a prophetic listen now and the album certainly has more meaning it just makes me wonder why the lyrics were written as they were for chester rather than by him on mkst of the tracks....as it goes I liked a few of the tunes before he died....

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Because it was intended that he would sing them - the lyrics, phrases and melodies were crafted with his voice and his persona in mind.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So I know this it kind of off topic, but I feel like it needs to be said.

Danny, maybe you should take notes on how to state your opinion without coming off as an antagonistic shit. Your reply here screams "Come at me bro" where HybridXero's comes off as "yeah, that just, like, my opinion, dude" and you both have the same exact point. That being said, Xero's reply is tolerable and sounds mature where as yours looks like it was written by a loud-mouth drama queen. No one likes dealing with someone who always seems on edge and that is exactly who you've made yourself out to be, here, Danny.

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

lol I guess some feel more strongly about the sound than others.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

As someone who likes One More Light and thinks it is an 8/10 album the quality of the album didn't change for me after his Death. It hasn't moved up any spots in my AOTY rankings for this year and I still think it's an 8/10 that is a good album but LP's 2nd weakest and could be better.