For those of us that didn't like OML, has Chesters death impacted your opinion

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Disturbedthoughts, Jul 27, 2017.

Crankshaft

Crankshaft Je m'appelle Baguette

I've liked One More Light from the very start and if i were to rate it i would give it a 9/10 and that hasn't changed.

However, after Chester passed there's one song in particular that i just can't stop listening to and that is Nobody can save me. This might be a weird thing to say but i can't help but think that this song is basically what went through his mind when he passed away. Especially the last chorus of the song.

BTorio and Sasuke like this.
    Benny_

Benny_ Active Member

I don't know I find that a bit odd writing those type of lyrics for someone with mental health issues....surely for me those lyrics should have been written by Chester for chester and no one else

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Who are you to decide?

Before OML, it was Shinoda who wrote or co-wrote a lot of the lyrics that Chester sang - there are a bunch of LP songs where he was the sole force behind the lyrics, examples being "Breaking The Habit" and "My December". Some of the lyrics on "Hybrid Theory" that Chester sang were written before he even joined the band in the late 90s.

With OML specifically, Chester said that he tended to like lyrics more when he didn't need to spend time crafting them himself and overthinking them on the way. That's part of what the band was experimenting with on that album, one way in which they were making it different from their past work (six albums and so much non-album material) where the band wrote everything themselves.

TobinKnowsBest likes this.
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I mean you can believe that if it makes sense to you. But Mike has always been the bands lead songwriter.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Agreed. I liked the song before he passed, and after it just stands out as one of their most important tracks to me. It feels almost like the pinnacle of all the ballads/similar songs they've written, and the lyrics feel incredibly meaningful.

Memory123

Memory123 Member

Having listened to the album properly now I can say that it's not a bad album. The songs are great, feel very meaningful.. however it could've been executed and arranged better. For the most songs I would've wished they'd be even more stripped down. It became very apparent to me when listening to Steven McKellar's version of "Nobody can save me". It just does the song so much more justice. ​