Foundation date

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Hans Muster, Nov 28, 2014.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

When was Xero founded and when did the name changes take place (be as precise as possible)? Please provide a reliable source. I need this for the German Wikipedia.

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

try watching the show Number One. That should explain it.

Hans Muster

Thanks, that was great.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I know I don't have any authority to tell you what you can and cannot post, but making an entire thread about this is kinda unnecessary. We already have a Random LP Chat thread designed so people can ask questions like this without starting an entire new thread. I'm not saying that you have to do that, but I recommend posting in that thread next time :)

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Hi Hans Muster,

It might be worthwhile for you to check out the LPAssociation Wiki that LPA users are constantly working on and contributing to. It has a lot of useful information that may be helpful to you. For your convenience, I took some time to look up answers to your questions.

As far as the beginning's of Xero are concerned, limited sources indicate that the band (which originally started out as SuperXero before changing their name) started making recordings in Mike's makeshift recording studio as early as December 1996. I believe a lot of this is hearsay, so there's not necessarily an indicated source. You'll find this with a lot of bands - their early, early days are not well documented and these stories largely rely on fans who happened to pick up on their material around that time. Anyway, the band released their now rare Xero Sampler Tape in 1997.

Actually, after some research, this was found in the LPU Underground 1.0 newsletter (Issue 1, 2002) and also on their Hybrid Theory website.

The band changed their name to Hybrid Theory sometime in 1998, after Mark Wakefield left the band and Phoenix left to tour with his own band. The band subsequently released their 8-track sampler and the Hybrid Theory EP in January and May of 1999 respectively. It was after this point that the band had their name legally challenged and eventually changed their name to Lincoln Park, and subsequently Linkin Park sometime in early 2000.

I hope this answers your questions!

Hans Muster

Thanks for looking those thing up, Louis. I do know about the LPA wiki, the problem is that the information there is not quite well sourced. I appreciate your research anyway. Maybe one more question, where do we know from that they weren't already called Linkin Park back in late '99? I'm asking this because some demo tapes from February '00 are labelled as Linkin Park.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

It's definitely confusing.

Here's a flyer from August 27, 1999.

[​IMG]

Then in Febraury and early May '00 there are CD's labeled Linkin Park.

And then there's this ticket from May 27, 2000 promoting Hybrid Theory.

[​IMG]

So yeah.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Also, I don't think they were called superxero? Because the UCLA speech Brad gave, he said something like his bands were Relative Degree, Xero 818(some other number, I don't remember) Xero and Hybrid Theory.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I don't think that's fully known for certain. Looking at the tapes, it appeared as though they went by Hybrid Theory for a quite a while up until either very late '99. According to their actual wiki page, they signed on to Warner Bros. as Linkin Park in late 1999, so that might be the answer to your question. The general wiki has some sources as well, so that might be useful to you.

Unfortunately, most information just isn't well-sourced because a lot of it is uncertain. I'm afraid most people probably don't know the months and years for these things with the exception of the band and people close to them. Not a whole lot of that information is out there.

Then someone was lying on the LPA Wiki. :lol:

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Not to be mean but DON'T trust LPA wiki. Its riddled with errors :shrug:

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Relative Degree (a precursor to Xero that featured Brad, Rob, and Mark Wakefield in the lineup) played their only show in May of 1996. Xero's first show wasn't until November of 1997, but their demo tape was already out by then and they had been together for a while. Late '96/early '97 is the generally accepted timeframe, but it's hard to narrow it down more than that. The band has cited their "birthdate" as being in both 1996 and 1997 at different points in their career, which doesn't help matters!

Xero existed through the end of 1998. They apparently briefly toyed with the idea of calling themselves "Xero 818," as one of their show flyers from June of 1998 advertises them by that name, and Brad mentioned that name in his UCLA graduation speech in 2009 as well. Show flyers from both earlier and later just refer to them as "Xero" though, so the alternate name must not have stuck for long. They were never called "Super Xero" as far as any official mention goes. Xero's last known show was in December of 1998, and by February/March of 1999, the band was seeking a new singer.

Chester recorded his audition tape for Xero on his birthday - March 20th, 1999. He met the band in Los Angeles a couple days later for an audition, and was ultimately chosen as the lead singer within a week or two. It's not known exactly when the band changed their name to Hybrid Theory, but it was probably around the same time Phoenix temporarily left the band, prior to the HTEP being recorded (May of 1999 is the date it's been given on LPU, although I'm not sure if that's completely accurate). The "Chester/Phoenix/Xero" combination definitely didn't exist for more than a couple months.

The last concert promoted under the Hybrid Theory name was on May 27th, 2000. Their next known show was on June 9th, and all subsequent shows were under the Linkin Park name. As previously mentioned though, there are promo CDs from early 2000 that refer to the band as Linkin Park, so the name change seems to have been a transitional thing over a period of several months. The "final" change was apparently late May/early June of 2000 regardless though.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Astat, how do you know everything?

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The legend says he tried the ketchup.

Hans Muster

Wow, that's a pretty nice summary, thanks!