Fukushima - A global threat that requires a global response

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Decay, Nov 21, 2013.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/19547-fukushima-a-global-threat-that-requires-a-global-response

I read this article last week. Obviously, I knew things were pretty bad but things are way worse than I expected. It's a long article but it's really worth the read.

Since then, I've been wondering what the world is gonna do. Because when this goes wrong, we're fucked, "we" being everything alive on this planet. Not only that, but knowing what kind of consequences disasters like "an earthquake in the area of a reactor" have, really scares the shit out of me, knowing the amount of nuclear reactors we currently have spread around the globe (as of January 2013, we have 437 reactors in total).

Not really sure what to discuss here, I guess I just want to create some awareness. I'm really not the kind of guy that goes around preaching about stuff like this and I'm in no way educated enough to know the specifics but yeah, this is pretty scary.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Fuck yeah, Fallout 4.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So nuclear reactors are safe as long as they are not disturbed. Nuclear reactors, as efficient as they are, come with a huge risk. The event in Fukushima is a prime example of worst-case-scenario. It sucks with how bad things got there and I personally feel that their emergency plan did not meet the needs of the situation. This is a huge reason why we, as a global community, need to look into alternative means for power. This is why agencies such as the Department Of Energy exist.

Consolation25

Consolation25 New Member

I prefer to read this kind of nice stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015