Future LPA Podcasts

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Jesse, Jul 13, 2011.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

When is the next one? Also, LPA should consider Video Podcast.

Yes, it's hard to edit videos but look into Google+ Hangouts as a potential Podcast enhancer, as it focuses the camera on who is speaking automatically. An example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSmZ7hYY24U&feature=youtu.be (I hatethis guy very much but it's the first link that I came to that gives a proper example of what I'm talking about)

Think about how great LPA podcasts can be when we can see as well as hear the partakers .

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Not sure when our next podcast will be. There's been discussion though.

As for video podcasts, in theory it'd be nice but it wouldn't work for us. It'd require everyone participating (including guests) to have webcams, and the amount of extra effort and technical tweaking we'd have to do just doesn't seem like a good pay off. We'd be sacrificing extra time, energy and file space just so people could see us. Sitting at our computers. Talking in our microphones. Not sure exactly how that'd make things better. :lol:

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

With G+ you don't have to have a webcam. Some people could have webcams and others can just type.

G+ would be sufficient if it were open to the public but it isn't. But after this beta period is over you guys should consider using it.

Kæton

If people are typing then it's not a podcast. If we wanted to just type things out, we'd stick to the forum. :lol:

Bottom line is you still need a webcam to see the person. If we're going to do a podcast, clearly we're going to be using mics by default and not keyboards. Integrating video into that process means retweaking our current setups and not to mention we'd be using three to four times as much storage space to provide those video podcasts for download. I'm trying not to get into the specifics of the technical side of things here, but trust me, there's an extensive amount of things that would need to be tweaked. Now if the assumption is that we use G+ as the platform to broadcast our podcast recording session instead of using JTV, there are just as many complications, if not more.

Currently as I see it, there are no actual pluses to implementing webcam video other than to watch us talking on our mics. Which I'm just going to go ahead and admit is a little creepy. :awesome:

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think the question in here SHOULD be, besides Linkin Park (cause we know everyone will say that) who do you folks want us to get for the next podcast? Let us know and we'll try everything we can to make it happen.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

What if there is a live Q&A and an interview? How can actually seeing the person that you're talking to/asking about/listening to be considered as creepy?

An example is with ghost town, where we were allowed to ask questions, is it not plausible that we would want to see the subjects reaction when they answer our questions? I think it's a pretty strange reason to justify not having a Video podcast.

Also, Google+ would make it easier to deal with technological problems as it semi-edits the stream, live. Meaning if you asked a question the person who answers will automatically be on-screen. You don't have to edit, to get a point-of-view. Saying that's creepy is akin to saying it's creepy to see anyone who is being interviewed on screen.

Another technological enhancement of google plus is Youtube sharing, as it lets members watch the same video at once, in sync, so say you wanted to show us a clip of LP or some such, you'd just have to play the clip and all the members of the podcast would see it at once. Which would enhance the podcast and provide more information.

But back to the creepy thing, how is listening to a bunch of people you can't see talk about something you're interested in any less creepy as not seeing them?

----------
    Though I do understand the storage problems...
    There is youtube though. :lol:

Kæton

It would work for guests, yes, as long as they had webcams. It's an added piece of hardware that if the guest does not have, or they simply don't want to be on camera, then we're back to where we currently are: an audio podcast. And for any time we don't have a special guest, you'd still be watching us, normal people, talking on our microphones.
    I'm not talking about editing when I bring up complications. I'm talking about the actual technical behind-the-scenes and unmanageable variables that'd ensure quality, and not some chaotic/lag-fest.

I think you took my "creepy" comment way, way too seriously, man. I'm speaking on a personal level, that I wouldn't want people to be watching me as I record a podcast. It's not like anything eventful is going to happen, and it makes me personally feel weird. But I enjoy recording the podcasts. Other people may feel differently, but I was simply speaking for myself. I get the notion, but I don't see how that extra effort would improve our podcasts rather than just complicate things.

Benjamin

Talinda Bennington :awesome:

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Don Gilmore!

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

I personally liked the one where there was everyones views on ATS.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I think bringing Minus back on and have him actually not restrain himself due to certain peoples telling him to tone down the attitude before airing is a great idea. :derek:

In all seriousness, having one where we get to know the admins/mods/whoevers better through Justin.TV submitted questions, similar to a typical LPU chat with a band member, but with LPA people.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Yeah, the ATS discussion one was my favourite too.

How awesome would it be to get Mike on a LPA podcast? :uh:

Edit: Keaton, I understand why you would find it creepy to be on webcam during the chat, haha.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Yeah, but to some people that might come off a little pretentious, like we find ourselves important enough to have ourselves be featured guests. I'm not so sure of how that would look to the public.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think we should find a way to get Rick Rubin on the podcast.

Ree

If we wanted to ask LPA staff a question then we could just use the shoutbox for that, haha. :p

How about their tour production manager, Jim Digby?

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Actually, I've just got the confirmation email from our next guest! HOLY SHIT!

Ree

^ :lol:!

We need a Chester's nose smiley now.

Benjamin

You know, you guys could have just an LPA member kind of thing and just not promote it as an actual LPA podcast.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

What's a podcast?

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

That would be a Skype conversation. :lol:

We can easily set those up, the staff are on Skype regularly, it's just getting everyone in at once. Often times we have come in the shoutbox and ask if anyone wants to join and nobody does. People never normally have a mic, Skype or just don't reply. lol:

I'm down for a Skype party. :partyminus: