Graphics Card, Could it be?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Kæton, Apr 18, 2007.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I just got this really great capture device and it works great, but after using it, I realize that I think I need to upgrade my graphics card, but I'm not sure if I am entirely right.

I can record flawlessly at a 320x240 resolution. However, because I am trying to record at a 720x480 resolution, it slows down and often I get "dropped frames" like crazy. This seems to be because of my generic graphics card, so I'm thinking if I upgrade it (currently it's an Intel Extreme Graphics 2), this won't be an issue any more. I remember before my computer broke I had an nVidia GeForce and rarely ever got choppy frames, so can someone confirm that upgrading my graphics card will in fact, reduce the choppy frame dropping problem I am currently experiencing? Also, the exported recorded video has little to no hang-ups; it's just when I am in the recording process, the preview screen is choppy.

Also, would nVidia cards be the best bet to get good quality? Does it work like RAM where I'll have to find one compatible with my system/motherboard? I tried to use "scanners" online but they don't seem to be able to return any information on my card. Anything else that I'm missing I may need to know?

Thanks in advanced.

Viper62

Viper62 Well-Known Member

it depends if you have intel or AMD whether to get an nVidea of ATI.

and yeah, it has different slots, the ald AGP and a new one (forgot the name)

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

Intel Extreme Graphics 2 isn't a graphics card, it's a pathetic integrated graphics chip grafted onto some Intel motherboards. Meaning there's nothing in your AGP slot as you don't have a dedicated graphics card. If you had a Nvidia GeForce card and this broke, whoever repaired your computer didn't put in a new graphics card.

Well yes, the more video memory you can get the better, 256 MB I would recommend as a minimum. and it does also depend on your processor and the amount of RAM you have. As long as these are up to scratch your computer can capture video and make coffee without any problems. You'll probably want something like a GeForce 6 series or better. 5 Series is pretty entry-level stuff now but does the job.

Well if you had a Nvidia GeForce card this was most likely on AGP architecture. Basically, unless your computer is fairly new, and fairly good, it's very unlikely to have PCI-Express. meaning, any AGP graphics card will fit into your motherboard. If you can remember exactly what GeForce card you had i'd be able to tell you whether it was AGP or PCI-Express.

ultramar

ultramar Well-Known Member

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Keat, buddy, i recommend heading your self to this site:

Crucial

Scan your system with their little application.

Upgrade your Ram to at least a 1gb, if you don't see any improvements to your capturing you'll still be able to play some better games.

Kæton

Thanks folks, I'll look into your ideas.

I just upgraded my RAM to 1GB thanks to Crucial :D, but it's still choppy. My computer broke awhile back and I took it to a "repair company" and they said my graphics card wasn't compatible with the motherboard they installed. Instead of replacing what I had, they gave me an MSI motherboard and offered this Intel "graphics card" as a "reasonable replacement," which I could tell was not even close to the GeForce I had.

Anyways, thanks again for the help, folks! Much appreciated.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

What the fuck? No. My friend has two computers, both have Intel motherboards, and one runs NVIDIA while the other runs ATI.

It just matters whether they fit in the slot and you have drivers.

LinkinJunior

if you get the chance, get a mac. I would say a Macbook Pro.

Kæton

I have a Macbook Pro, actually. It's just, I can't find a good capture program for the Mac. :lol:

LinkinJunior

you're capturing incoming video correct?

Kæton

Analog capture, yes.

LinkinJunior

let's talk on a messenger client in the near future.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

That doesn't make any difference at all.

And Keaton I'd recommend going with Nvidia. Overall they provide better performance and tend to outlast ATI cards of the same generation. Also they run typically better and cooler than ATI.