HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Agent, Jan 13, 2014.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Why not? People had been fixated on that aspect of the show from the beginning. A few critics tore into some of the later episodes for devolving into vanilla police procedural, and I somewhat agree. Whoduneits are everywhere, and I don't think so many people would have become so infatuated with the show if they were just in it for the mystery. The reveal is almost never satisfying, so I think it was a good choice to not focus so much on the murders. The idea of some kind of Pagan death cult could get hokey really fast if you delve too deeply. Personal preference, I suppose.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

CONFIRMED

Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn will play the lead roles of season 2.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/tru...-vince-vaughn-to-star-in-season-2-1201312038/

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I hope they surprise me as much as Matthew McConaughey did in season 1!

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I could see the acting going either way. I'm optimistic, however. I'm more concerned about the show having multiple directors this time, and the fact that one of those directors is Justin Lin (nothing against him personally, but he seems like an unusual choice). Cary Fukunaga did such a stellar job of keeping the first season so aesthetically consistent. It was right up there with Hannibal as being one of the most visually stunning shows on television.

Although, the more I think about it, I can kind of understand how Justin might be an appealing choice seeing as the show is set in Los Angeles (which is obviously a stark contrast to Louisiana), so I'm probably being a little pessimistic

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I really liked the first 5 or 6 episodes. I was blown away by the acting, and the story was being branched all over the place and was still interwoven incredibly. The scope of the story was huge. It had a large cult of child murderers (and rapists?) with ties all the way up to the most powerful men in the state and church. It doesn't get a whole lot bigger than that. And in the end they catch, what, like one guy? And the rest is just hand-waved away because the writer couldn't wrap it up in time? That bugged me a lot. The last few episodes really blew it I thought. It really needed more episodes because there's a 0% chance the investigation ended there. It was just getting to the real meat of the story.

And I know the creator said it was only a character study of Rust and Marty, which it partly was, but that's also a lame excuse for writing a cliche ending. You don't write a story-driven cop mystery if you only want to do a character study.

The good news is that he obviously has incredible vision and it just seems that he ran out of time or budget to do what he really set out to do. It just sucks for me because my two favorite stories have ended in either complete disaster (LOST) or a dud (True Detective). If season 2 of True Detective delivers that'd be awesome.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Still not sure about the Vince Vaughn choice, given his past work. But its hard to say the angle season 2 is going to go in. Maybe he will fit into s2 universe.