Help, again.

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Beca, Jun 10, 2007.

Beca

Beca Plug in baby.

I seem to make alot of threads here.. i know nothing about computers compared to everyone here lol.
    Well my computer keeps restarting and firefox keeps closing and so does msn. (firefox closed halfway through i was typing this >.<)
    I think its something to do with this virus i go a while ago, called "hosts".
    It wont go away and when i scan my comp it says 1 error, which is the hosts thing.
    My mums bf tried getting rid of it but he cant.
    FRICK IT CLOSED AGAIN AND I WAS TYPING LOADS.

Firefox wont let me scroll using my scroll wheel thing, but i can on other programs, also i cant open another tab without the page sorta freezing, and i cant right click either but i can on other programs.

How do i get rid of the hosts thing?

omG it closed again.

Also my mouse keeps flying off to a corner, its annoying especially when im drawing something in psp9. Its an optical mouse and its fairly new, i got it early this year.

Firefox has closed 5 times when making this. No make that 6, it closed AGAIN.

:angry:
    edit// i restarted the comp because i closed firefox and it wouldnt let me open it again, when it came back on it said the system recovered from a serious error.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
    Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

What AV do you use?

JNudda

JNudda Guest

Try doing a system restore to the most recent date that you werent having this problem.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Fuck a restore. I'd reformat and reinstall Windows.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

Uuuuusssellesssss. System restore is only useful for driver-related problems, all else it's a POS. But it's lovely how MS likes to mislead you to give you some hope -- then have you throwing your computer out the window since it didn't work, and it was your last hope before formatting.

Safe-mode, on the other hand, is actually useful. Boot into safe-mode with a proper AV [I'd suggest NOD32 or AVG, you choice.] and scan then. Works most of time, in my cases.

Beca

Beca Plug in baby.

Okay thanks. I use AVG btw :D

Ooh i dunno if this is bad or not, but i got one of tho (WTF MY STAR BAR JUST TURNED TO THE OLD ONE??) i just got one of those things which lets you send error report, and it was for "generic host for win32" wtf is that.

JNudda

JNudda Guest

I actually fixed someone's computer who had a similar problem to what shes having and system restore wwwoooooorked. :lol:

But yes, if that doesnt work, do an anti virus scan, and if all else fails, do a reformat.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
    Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Huh?

System restore is basically a big registry backup with some small other tidbits. The only time it deals with drivers is when you install unsigned drivers.

As for the hosts message, I'm guessing that something tampered with your hosts file and you're getting redirected to something that's reinstalling crap. Try this:

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and open notepad. Drag 'hosts' into notepad and copy and paste it in here.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
    Beca

Beca Plug in baby.

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Eeeeh i hope thats what you mean.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

Neil - Only time System Restore's helped me is with driver-related problems. >_<

Beca - That's normal.

mcpancakes

mcpancakes Well-Known Member

Once I had some songs that wouldn't be deleted and I did a system restore to before they were on my hard drive and it worked. as for re-installing windows, is that not a little extreme? I guess not if its not a virus doing it.